Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whats the best pipe dope sealant for near boiler piping

Options
acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
edited January 2018 in Strictly Steam
Whats the best pipe dope sealant for near boiler piping

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    You will get 1000 different answers. For me regular Teflon tape and Rectorseal "True Blue" Ware gloves True Blue sticks to your hand it's only downfall
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,262
    Options
    Better question is what stuff to avoid?
  • Oldslowandugly
    Oldslowandugly Member Posts: 37
    Options
    I just re-piped all my near boiler piping last Fall. I used Permatex anti-seize for two reasons. Firstly, I read on here that the actual seal is based on the pipe thread taper so the real purpose of the pipe dope is to lubricate the threads. Since I was making all new threads and chasing the old ones I just wanted a good lubricant. Crappy threads that leak may benefit from a true sealer and everyone has their favorite brand. Secondly, I wanted to be able to dis-assemble the pipes if needed at a later date. I also figured that anti-seize will allow for pipe expansion/contraction movement because anti-seize prevents rusted threads. I did in fact need to take a few apart for adjustments and was glad they came right apart. Best of all, not a single leak.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    On every threaded joint we make we use Monster tape and Megaloc dope. Never had a leak even when using on 6” fittings.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    I have used nearly every brand out there and the only one I didnt like was rectorseal t+2 with ptfe. too grainy and viscous. no leaks but no joy to apply.
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm not a pro but occasional diy guy, and for me t+2 is great in combo with white Teflon or blue monster Teflon tape: t+2 gets in all the imperfections on pipe/thread mating surfaces. Used it on steam and gas (with yellow gas Teflon), no issues. For older stuff that you are taking apart and mating with new, esp if the fitting is old, I add good old fashioned cotton wicking under blue monster tape on threads, and a dab of Oatey 15707 Blue Block.

Ed hit bullseye, we all have our own preferences.
  • Kahooli
    Kahooli Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Megaloc blue and or megaloc blue ptfe tape were my preference.

The rectoseal blue i tried smelled awful the first couple weeks - like burning rubber.