Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Prestige Triangle Tube Doesn't Produce Heat for Room

Hi,

I have a Prestige Triangle Tube (2010-46 Prestige User's Manual) that has not worked in over a year. Unit is still pretty new at <8 years old, I believe. We have 3 different stages in our home: one downstairs where the hot water heater is located, and the other two on the main level. Unsure if its failure to heat is related to a power outage we had where I recall the pump turning off and my kids keeping the bathtub water going until it was pumping brownish water.

Anyway, hot water in faucets and tub/shower works great. Propane is full and breakers all checked. I've tried resetting the machine and adjusting thermostats but the heat never kicks on in any of the units and I get a 6180 (i.e. "burner off due to reaching temperature setpoint"). Should I bite the bullet and call out a plumber or might this be an easy fix? Happy to supply photos if helpful.

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    6180 is 6 meaning burner is off due to hitting set point 180
    its not sending the heat out to the system most likely due to a freeze up or bad circulator, or perhaps even air in the system.

Where are you located?
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    kcoppIronmanZman
  • fivepointer
    fivepointer Member Posts: 9
    Hi Tom,

I live in northern Vermont. I'm pretty sure the circulator is good. It is a Grundfos alpha 15-55f. When I adjust the thermostat in the basement the panel that has the lights showing the heating zones lights up and the circulator has a display that works and shows activity. All pipes near the unit are cold to the touch.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    You most likely have a bad diverter valve. That system needs a mag. type dirt filter to keep stuff out of the DV.
  • unclejohn
    Is this a solo or excellence? Do the hot and cold domestic water lines connect to the boiler or a stand alone tank?
  • fivepointer
    Hi,

Solo. Water lines connect to the boiler.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I can't help but ask: does your handle relate to your theological position?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • fivepointer
    Nice catch, Ironman. It indeed is.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman
    What size is it?

Can you post some pics?
    Bob Boan
  • unclejohn
    What size is it?

Can you post some pics?

That is with out a doubt the strangest post I have seen so far.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Ironman
    unclejohn said:

What size is it?

Can you post some pics?

That is with out a doubt the strangest post I have seen so far.

The boiler, man; the boiler!

Bob Boan
    ZmanSolid_Fuel_ManCanucker
  • fivepointer
    Boiler pics. I haven't seen a ton of them myself, but my wife seems to think it does the job... :p

• Ironman
    That's a Prestigue Excellence.

There's a 3 way motorized valve inside that diverts all the heat to the internal indirect when it calls for domestic. For some reason, the valve is not shifting to space heating once the domestic call is satisfied. It could be the actuator on the valve or the indirect's sensor.

I'm not sure on the old model, but I believe there should be a time override on domestic priority. If you have the I/O manual, it should tell you.
    Bob Boan
  • fivepointer
    Is this what you're referencing?
  • Ironman
    Yes, parameter 43.
    Bob Boan
  • Tom_133
    Ive been to this house!! Thats a weird feeling.

You must have just bought this within the last year or so?

I bet its frozen, wouldn't be the first time. I have been there before to thaw it out.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    kcopp
  • unclejohn
    My moneys on the diverter valve, you really should have a dirt-mag separater on that boiler.
  • Tom_133
    unclejohn,

You may be right, but this house had a big woodstove when I was there last. The previous owners use to crank it up, and the finished basement kept the first floor pipes from getting any heat and under the porch out front it froze often,

It hit -30 here around the same time this post was started. I would check there first.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • unclejohn
    Tom I will defer to your previous experience, but rest assure I never wager more then a dollar.
  • fivepointer
    Hi Tom,
    That's crazy-- what a coincidence! We do have a wood stove, though I wouldn't describe it as big. What would you suggest I do? I haven't yet tested the parameter 43 setting. When you say its frozen do you mean one of the pipes, and if so is it likely that it would be that way both last season and this season?
  • Tom_133
    Most likely, the heat zone for the first floor runs under the front door and between dining and living room I believe, thats where it typically froze in the past. I usually stopped in said hello to Mike the previous owner clamped on my Hotshot pipe thawing machine and in 30 mins or less I was gone.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I wonder... @Tom, did you happen to know either Bob Hood or Tom Mahar? Worked for the State years ago (like 40) as inspectors. They're the guys who taught me the trade.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tom_133
    I don't, but to be fair I just turned 40 and cant remember names to save my life. For some reason I can remember the orifice size on a gas dryer conversion from 10 years ago but no names. I associate everyone with the car they drive. With out that I am in big trouble.

Also please dont hold the wiring in pics against me, I went there to thaw pipes.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • fivepointer
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for all the tips. I sent you a message.

James
  • Tom_133
    James,

I didn't receive anything, sadly there are more than one Tom on this site. I need to change my handle to TomVT
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • fivepointer
    Tom,
    Is your business called On Time Mechanical? I'd like to give you a call to discuss further!

James
  • Tom_133
    Yes sir thats me.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • zittd
    zittd Member Posts: 6
    My boiler is sending water to the external water heater for hot water in shower, dishwasher, etc. However, it keeps recycling and won’t send heat to the 4 units in building for heat.
  • zittd
    Operates here for 10 minutes
  • zittd
    Kicks to 6186 for 10 minutes
  • zittd
    Lights don’t come on from units
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Power appears to be off to the taco controller. Try to get that power on.
    kcopp
  • zittd
    Power goes off on it when it recycles on the Taco controller. Always has
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Well, then that is a "thing". No power to the Taco= no heat to the zone.
  • zittd
    when it is sending hot water to the units the Taco Controller comes on. We have had this unit for 6 years and i have always wondered why when it "recycles" the taco powers off. When it goes back to 3150 and sends hot water, it comes back on. So you are telling me that the taco power light should never go off?
    The guys that put this in told me that when it recycles it goes off.

Interesting right?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Not sure why they wired it that way. The boiler itself will control who gets the hot water domestic or radiant. So there should be no reason to power off that controller. Don't know how he is controlling the taco control box. But sounds like however it was controlled has now failed.
    D
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Green light should stay on. It says, "Yep, I got continuous, steady power and am ready to work, by turning on some of them 'red' lights."
    Solid_Fuel_ManCanucker