Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex for condensate lines?

Options
rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152

I know that I can't use PEX for steam pipes, but can you use it for the condensate return lines in a 2 pipe system?

j a_2

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Options
    You looking to get a laugh out of us? :lol: Not that I’m an authority on any manufacturer, but, no. What are you trying to do?
    rhodebumpj a_2
  • rhodebump
    rhodebump Member Posts: 152
    Options
    NO, it was a genuine question. In the last week, I have had to replace 20 feet of 1/2 black pipe that is used to return condensate to the steam system. It's piping that comes from the steam trap.
    Working with black pipe is very difficult, and you have to get the measurements just right. It would be so much easier if I can just use pex. There are some pex connections that go from NPT threads to pex.

Since the condensate should be just water and air, I would think PEX could be used. It's also no pressure in this pipe.

Thanks!
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    No. not a good idea. 200F is max temperature. You might get away with it on uninsulated wet returns near the boiler, but you are pushing it. Above 180F it starts losing strength and pressure limits drop. But pressure isn't an issue on steam.

That being said, latex paint isn't supposed to be used over 200F, but 1/2 my radiators are painted and I have no issues at all.

Best alternate cheaper, easier to work with option is copper tubing. That's what's used for mini tube systems.
    rhodebump
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Get a mega press
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    ratio
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,248
    Options
    I'd look at hoses.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Not only temp limitations for just hot condensate, but sometime you will have a trap fail and live steam will shoot around the returns.

Also, a dry return has to have good pitch with no pockets to drain water and no traps caused by those pockets to impede air removal........something to keep in mind if you go to copper is to use rigid copper and not soft tubing which never really straightens out no matter how much you try.