Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

From current to BIG MOUTH

sldamiano
sldamiano Member Posts: 36
edited November 2017 in Strictly Steam
What would it take to convert from the current vent I have to a big mouth ? I’m sorry for asking but I keep looking up pipe dimensions and after a while it just gets so confusing!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,488
    BigMouths come with a 3/4" male thread but they can be special,ordered with a 1/2" thread. Just unscrew the old and screw in the new.

Note BigMouths do not have a float so they will pass water if it ever gets up that high. Just get it up as far as you can and you sb fine.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Ironman
  • sldamiano
    sldamiano Member Posts: 36
    water has been spewing out of this main, what changes can I make to prevent this
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,957
    Hard to say what is allowing water to get into the main without seeing a lot more of your piping. It is, however, most likely due to problems in the near boiler piping -- poor (or no) header, poor pitch, no equalizer... lots of possibilities.

Not too mention high water in the boiler, or too high a pressure setting.

Would you post some pictures of your boiler and piping and controls?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    IronmanethicalpaulMad Dog_2
  • PatrickNorth
    PatrickNorth Member Posts: 30
    At risk of taking your thread off course- I invested a good chunk of change in Big Mouth vents a few years back. All miserable. Apparently some manufacturing flaws had been identified and the manufacturer was very helpful in supplying repair parts, no questions asked. Unfortunately, they continued to fail. Spent even more $$$ on Gorton #2's as I should have at the outset.
    I'm not a pro and you should definitely listen to the folks on here who are using many, many more of these vents than I- these types of small manufacturing problems come and go- but I would recommend investigating further before jumping on the Big Mouth bandwagon.
    Good luck!