Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any recommendations for steam installer near Pittsburgh PA?

Options
samglo
samglo Member Posts: 19
Greetings all,
I'm a long time lurker and have enjoyed reading Mr. Holohan's books to make improvements to my system and to keep it running.

The time has come to replace my 30 year old Weil-McLain boiler, and I'm really struggling trying to find a local installer with extensive steam experience.

System is a 2 pipe steam with a 200000 BTU input boiler (W-M EG-55), which is a pretty good match with the EDR and I've been happy with the heating even on frigid days and a drafty old house.

Any recommendations out there? Thank you so much in advance.
Sam

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Have you tried the on site contractor locator?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • samglo
    Options
    Yes, no luck within 100 miles. Many options on east side of Pennsylvania and northeast Ohio, but no luck in SW PA
  • steamhouse
    steamhouse Member Posts: 41
    Options
    samglo said:

Greetings all,
    I'm a long time lurker and have enjoyed reading Mr. Holohan's books to make improvements to my system and to keep it running.

The time has come to replace my 30 year old Weil-McLain boiler, and I'm really struggling trying to find a local installer with extensive steam experience.

System is a 2 pipe steam with a 200000 BTU input boiler (W-M EG-55), which is a pretty good match with the EDR and I've been happy with the heating even on frigid days and a drafty old house.

Any recommendations out there? Thank you so much in advance.
    Sam

What town near Pittsburgh?
  • samglo
    Options
    I'm in the South Hills, Mt. Lebanon, 6 miles south of downtown
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,492
    Options
    Sam I have a couple of recommendations
    Frew Plumbing in Bellevue
    Metro on Banksville
    They have a good reputation. Good luck
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • samglo
    Options
    Thank you Ray! I greatly appreciate your input.

I've read some of your articles in PME. I'm a civil engineer, working primarily in wastewater conveyance and treatment. Thank you for your outreach to the community!
  • samglo
    Options

Here's the old girl. Header seems less than ideal for dry steam? Drop and wet return are also piped less than ideally from my understanding.

Most I've talked to just want to keep as-is, I suppose from a cost/effort perspective. Thoughts?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited October 2017
    Options
    There really isn't a header there. Riser out of the boiler just ties into the main and the equalizer drops off of that main. Hartford loop also looks like it is above the boiler water line. Now is the time to have it piped correctly. I would think you'd want to use both risers out of the new boiler as well. I would be skeptical of any installer who suggests leaving it as is.
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Sam here is the last EG-55 I installed, that’s a 4” header btw.

DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • samglo
    Options
    Wow that's a true beauty, Dave! I would be ecstatic if i found someone to do an install half as nice.

Do you want to spend a few days in beautiful Pittsburgh Pennsylvania? I have two guest bedrooms, good cold beer, and I'm a pretty good tour guide for random off- beat sites!
  • samglo
    Options
    Some additional info regarding the replacement.

I calculate radiator EDR as 417 ft2. I'm renovating a kitchen and will need to reconfigure the current radiators, and may potentially add another radiator to the kitchen island after I relocate a radiator to a rear door area. It would likely be small, but potential eventual load could be on the order of eventual 437 ft2. The steam main trunk is 3" with one loop around the perimeter and house is about 2600 sq ft (fire block/brick exterior and single pane metal casement windows...I know...that's a project for another day).

With radiator output of 105 MBH, I was thinking the current EG-55 is oversized. It's never had a problem heating the house even with the wonky header configuration. Steam traps have been replaced and all rooms heat pretty evenly.

The two quotes I've gotten are for Burnham PIN6SNI-ME2 (175000 BTU input) and Bryant BS2‐225 (225000 BTU input). Burnham would be pick-up factor of 1.37 and Bryant would be pick-up factor of 1.75. Surprisingly, the larger unit was from the installer who I felt had more steam experience.

Any thoughts?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    You are correct your current boiler is over sized.

The Burnham would be sized correctly by current standards. That Bryant would be massively oversized and it is the side outlet style boiler that most steam guys on here don't like. No way would I go with the Bryant.

You should be able to get the boiler installed however you want. There is a post on here right now where the customer told the installer the specific items they wanted. As long as the installer can screw pipe and you are willing to pay for their work I don't see why you can't get a proper or even an over the top install.

If you went with the Burnham I would spec that I wanted the alternate piping (drop header) and use the header pipe size for the IN7 which gives you a 3" header.

Here is the thread for the customer that spec'd out to the contractor.
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/162016/steam-boiler-comparison-help#latest
    @mynameisphunk
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I’d actually pick a Weil-McLain EG-45 150,000 BTU 392 Sq ft steam.
    I installed this boiler in a house in Fort Lee NJ with 409 sq ft. It works perfect.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......