Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Understanding primary-secondary pumping

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited October 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
Understanding primary-secondary pumping

Primary-secondary pumping was invented by Gil Carlson in the early '50s. Holohan's book takes what he learned from Carlson and teaches you to reduce the size of your pipes, valves, fittings and pumps, and how to lower heating system temperature, and all without sacrificing performance or getting into trouble.

Read the full story here

Comments

• whatsthebigidea
    whatsthebigidea Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Nicely written and easy to understand. Can you please direct me to a diagram with specs for a two zone (two separate apartments) hot water boiler. The existing boiler is a Utica high efficient 80000 BTU. Boiler Heating Primary Loop / Boiler Secondary Loops with mixing valves is a consideration. Please advise. Thanks.
    Gman66
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks. The diagrams and specs are all in the book that I wrote. You can get it by clicking the link at the end of the article.
    Retired and loving it.
  • whatsthebigidea
    whatsthebigidea Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Dan, so your book has a two zone (2 apt) diagram?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes.
    Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2
  • lornfile
    lornfile Member Posts: 2
    Options
    For nine years, a powerful Rayburn, running on smokeless anthracite, has driven two radiators in my house, with no pump. The returning water was almost as hot as the near-boiling water coming from the boiler. I was told not to lag, and told a service engineer that I rarely had water boiling in the radiators because I ran it on tickover. It has taken me years to find out that hot-to-boiling water circulates itself. I understand that a secondary circuit might have to have a pump. So does the primary circuit include the expansion radiator essential for dissipating heat and pressure from the boiler? And what is the English legal position, please (Building Regulations)?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    lornfile said:

For nine years, a powerful Rayburn, running on smokeless anthracite, has driven two radiators in my house, with no pump. The returning water was almost as hot as the near-boiling water coming from the boiler. I was told not to lag, and told a service engineer that I rarely had water boiling in the radiators because I ran it on tickover. It has taken me years to find out that hot-to-boiling water circulates itself. I understand that a secondary circuit might have to have a pump. So does the primary circuit include the expansion radiator essential for dissipating heat and pressure from the boiler? And what is the English legal position, please (Building Regulations)?

@lornfile The exact thing happened to me. I just adjusted the pfsizer valve to 123 and shimmed the gonculator and it ran perfectly....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    IronmanCanucker
  • InventorDude
    InventorDude Member Posts: 1
    Options
    A guy could go broke buying all your books, Dan, so is there one all-inclusive book you've written that covers it all?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,927
    Options
    Go broke? Dan's books were always very fairly priced. If one is going to apply his lessons in the field (unless you're just reading for pleasure), one will make a quick return on investment. Last, it wouldn't be very practical lugging around
    A huge phone book sized behemoth, would it? Mad Dog
    GordyIronman
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Zman said:

lornfile said:

@lornfile The exact thing happened to me. I just adjusted the pfsizer valve to 123 and shimmed the gonculator and it ran perfectly....
    I thought it was the phase shift modulator??
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Well, I had trouble with the disconfrabulator, but I replaced it with an old flux capacitor that I had laying around, and now it works as good as it did in 1955!
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,483
    Options
    The books are your best friends on a late night service call inside an old boiler room when you have people asking every 15 minutes, How long will this take?
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I think you're missing a marketing opportunity Dan. You could offer the whole collection, along with a free hand truck. :wink:
    icy781Matthias
  • DanHolohan
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Good one, Paul! I’ll mention it to Erin. They’re her books now. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    You used to have a phone app that I used. Is it still available for android? Specially the steam one!
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    No longer, Henry. There wasn't enough interest to keep it live. Thanks for asking, though.
    Retired and loving it.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    hmm..think I need to order a book or two...