Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off topic = Gas BBQ burner

Options
2»

Comments

• j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

Suzook said:

Oh, That's a strange arangement. Mine is different. Probably too much pressure. Pushing more gas at the end???

JUGHNE said:

That would be my guess....lower the pressure with reg.

That's the thing though.
    They rated it for 7" WC, and I'm at 6.5" WC. If I lower the pressure I'll have less heat overall and I don't want that either.

Speaking of that, in low and dirty gas areas such as a lot of areas around Boston. it gets prey ugly when installers install appliances with a minimum pressure rating than what is delivered at the property, as well gas company only guarantees a pressure just under 5 in. W/C...Wind certinaly has an effect on performance of outdoor grills...Why cook outdoors with natural gas? Most people like it for the flavoring, I still use charcoal...Wish I could afford the Green Egg..But I can't .....
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,706
    edited August 2017
    Options
    j a said:

ChrisJ said:

Suzook said:

Oh, That's a strange arangement. Mine is different. Probably too much pressure. Pushing more gas at the end???

JUGHNE said:

That would be my guess....lower the pressure with reg.

That's the thing though.
    They rated it for 7" WC, and I'm at 6.5" WC. If I lower the pressure I'll have less heat overall and I don't want that either.

Speaking of that, in low and dirty gas areas such as a lot of areas around Boston. it gets prey ugly when installers install appliances with a minimum pressure rating than what is delivered at the property, as well gas company only guarantees a pressure just under 5 in. W/C...Wind certinaly has an effect on performance of outdoor grills...Why cook outdoors with natural gas? Most people like it for the flavoring, I still use charcoal...Wish I could afford the Green Egg..But I can't .....

Why not?

BTW, my wife hates the smokey taste of charcoal. I can get away with using lump charcoal, but never Kingsford with her. She says it tastes like burning tires.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

it tastes like burning tires.

Maybe you're using too much Boy Scout juice? ;)

It's a common flavor during the summer months around here unfortunately.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

ChrisJ said:

Chimney only, no lighter fluid.
    I usually put a wad of new paper, or even paper towels in the bottom and light'r up.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    ratio said:

ChrisJ said:

If anyone has ever used a chimney starter they will forget about the existence of lighter fluid. The chimney starter is truly wonderful.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ChrisJrick in Alaska
  • ChrisJ
    Options
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    Exactly. You know it's done when you can nearly see a tongue of flame coming out the top.