Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remote monitoring of combustion efficiency by sound?

Options
Once a burner has been set up properly with testing equipment, I wonder if its operation could be monitored for continuing perfect adjustment from its sound? A wifi signal could alert the installer with an email notifying of any irregularities.
Machinery can now be monitored for harmful vibration with one of these:
http://reliabilityonline.net/?gclid=CNPi5t-AjtQCFQMLaQodGq4C-Q
NBC

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    This may be a terribly dumb question, but couldn't a similar setup to what cars have been using since the 1970s be implemented using 02 sensors?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

This may be a terribly dumb question, but couldn't a similar setup to what cars have been using since the 1970s be implemented using 02 sensors?

O2 won't necessarily tell you if you have high CO.

Utica is doing it by measuring current through the flame. As flame characteristics change, so does it's conductivity.
    ChrisJ
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Harvey That is kinda cool. Theoretically, if there is o2 there is supposed to be no CO but I have seen both present. If I were looking for continual monitoring of a couple things on a boiler that is not a Utica, I would monitor 02 percentage and stack temperature. I really think the industry does need some sort of continual boiler monitoring because the owners don't do maintenance.
    Nicholas, the old old Honeywell BOSS system in the 80's used to have a microphone in the equipment room so the people monitoring it could listen to the room for abnormalities.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    The system Utica is using is not new Viessmann has had it for quite a while. All you would need is a reference to any change in microamps to determine flame stability.

You also need to monitor draft to insure you have sufficient air for combustion.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    The flame monitoring system has been on Viessmann for sometime. It automatically adjusts the air gas ration based on microamps.

I would want to monitor O2, Draft (insures air for combustion), CO and stack temperature.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hello, So for the purpose of sending an alert to a technician when things are out of whack, wouldn't sensing flame conductivity and measuring stack temperature be enough to go on? Seems these measurements are not difficult to make nor difficult to send electronically. :)

Yours, Larry
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Cosmogas/ Embassy Onex had that option to look at the "Ionization current" when setting up their boilers.
    They wanted is somewhere between 77 and 84 depending if it was in Hi or Lo fire.
    I never did trust it. That boiler tends to be a finicky to set up... especially on LP.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Cars that utilize O2 also have MAF sensors. On a boiler, primary and secondary air are not a tightly controlled in most cases. Some
    Use pressure sensors to control FA ratio however. Vacuum in gas manifold determine gas valve position.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    edited January 2018
    Options
    http://www.autoflame.com/

We didnt opt for the ega trim feature...but it is done.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited January 2018
    Options
    From Ray Wohlfarth

Nicholas, the old old Honeywell BOSS system in the 80's used to have a microphone in the equipment room so the people monitoring it could listen to the room for abnormalities.

and snoring!--NBC