Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

I get by with help from my friends.

Options

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,735
    Options
    Gordy said:

Wouldn't be a chase for wiring, plumbing, steam pipes would it?

Nope.
    No plumbing, no steam pipes and I highly doubt any wiring.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    When you remove a wall that is plaster & lath you end up with the wall plate at the ceiling. One could tear that off and risk breaking ceiling plaster and still have a plaster patch job.

If you leave the top plate and use it to support 1" or 2" X maybe 8" to create a beam, then wrap it in SR which is easier to finish than actual ceiling patching. Better looking finished job. Would blend in with the end wall sections also. IMO
    Gordy
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

When you remove a wall that is plaster & lath you end up with the wall plate at the ceiling. One could tear that off and risk breaking ceiling plaster and still have a plaster patch job.

If you leave the top plate and use it to support 1" or 2" X maybe 8" to create a beam, then wrap it in SR which is easier to finish than actual ceiling patching. Better looking finished job. Would blend in with the end wall sections also. IMO

Interesting point, except both rooms had sheetrock installed over the plaster. They also leveled the ceilings.

From what I saw inside the larger wall to the left, which encloses the B vent, the wall that was there wasn't traditional. 2x4's on the flat nailed right to the joist above. The guy that built the house was a carpenter, and it was done likely in the 1860s.

Most of the house is balloon framed, but best I can tell not entirely. In that, you can see the joists sitting on a 4x4 in the basement, but in the attic all you see is the top of a 2x4 top plate, not into the wall like is typical with balloon framing. The joists sit on this 2x4 with 16" centers. Then, there's another 2x4 notched into the top of the joists on the flat and the rafters sit on that 2x4, 24" on center. Apparently it works because it's still there but I'm not sure it was typical framing. There'a also no ridge board, the rafters just butt up against each other. Also, best I can tell judging by the smell, the framing is all cedar and it's all a reddish brown color when you drill into it. I could be wrong, but that's the best I could tell. I've never heard of anyone framing a house out of cedar, but who knows what kind of wood they had locally back then.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    Cedar would seem a really different choice.
    In 1860 your part of the country had major forests available for construction, IIRC.

In 1860 in my part of the country, houses were being built out of Sod ;) .
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,643
    Options
    If there used to be a wall there, then there's probably a beam—or some approximation of one—up there. Whether or not it's necessary is the question. If the old wall was load-bearing then it's necessary (although it doesn't look like it's big enough to me). If the wall was not not load–bearing it's probably not necessary. What direction do the floor joists run, downstairs & up? Are there any walls upstairs sitting in the same location?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

If there used to be a wall there, then there's probably a beam—or some approximation of one—up there. Whether or not it's necessary is the question. If the old wall was load-bearing then it's necessary (although it doesn't look like it's big enough to me). If the wall was not not load–bearing it's probably not necessary. What direction do the floor joists run, downstairs & up? Are there any walls upstairs sitting in the same location?

Joists in basement run in same direction as beam.
    Joists on second floor, as far as I know, run in the same direction as the beam, I suppose we'll find out this weekend. The two that ran along side the chimney certainly ran in the same direction.

There is a wall directly above on the second floor, nothing in the basement, so that wall was sitting on a joist on the first floor, nothing else.
  • ratio
    Options
    Doesn't sound too structural, but as @JUGHNE mentioned, it's a common trim between ceilings of combined rooms. I've got one in my house, between the kitchen & dining room, the old plate is still there. :/

A quick dusting with a paddle bit will show you the interior construction. It's always possible that someone though it looked good that way & did it intentionally.

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

JUGHNE said:

Interesting point, except both rooms had sheetrock installed over the plaster. They also leveled the ceilings.

From what I saw inside the larger wall to the left, which encloses the B vent, the wall that was there wasn't traditional. 2x4's on the flat nailed right to the joist above. The guy that built the house was a carpenter, and it was done likely in the 1860s.

Most of the house is balloon framed, but best I can tell not entirely. In that, you can see the joists sitting on a 4x4 in the basement, but in the attic all you see is the top of a 2x4 top plate, not into the wall like is typical with balloon framing. The joists sit on this 2x4 with 16" centers. Then, there's another 2x4 notched into the top of the joists on the flat and the rafters sit on that 2x4, 24" on center. Apparently it works because it's still there but I'm not sure it was typical framing. There'a also no ridge board, the rafters just butt up against each other. Also, best I can tell judging by the smell, the framing is all cedar and it's all a reddish brown color when you drill into it. I could be wrong, but that's the best I could tell. I've never heard of anyone framing a house out of cedar, but who knows what kind of wood they had locally back then.

Your framing species is Douglas fir which also has a red hue to it. Cedar is to soft to use as a structural framing species.

Douglass fir is a superior structural grade wood species.

• Gordy
    Options
    Chris are you not tearing out what ever it is, and running duct Then framing out the ductwork? So you basically end up with the same look.
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Gordy

The framing smells of Cedar as well when I drill into it, that's what made me think of it in the first place. Douglass Fir smells absolutely nothing like Cedar. The clapboard also has the same smell and color. If it smelled like a Christmas tree I'd agree. ;) Of course, I could be mistaken, but that's what my nose told me.

No, the alleged false beam is to be torn out, patched in smooth and a 12x12 diffuser installed to cover both rooms. The diffuser will not work with a beam there. That 7" drop is a buzz kill for the Coandă Effect.

• ratio
    Options
    We actually took out all the interior walls at a little place we have. The ceiling was trusses (it's only one story), with a 26' long 2x4 across the bottom. Going from plaster & lath to ½" drywall reduced the static load IIRC, but in any case we were well within design limits for all the species I checked.

Imagine trying to buy a 26' long 2x4 today. Is that even possible?

• ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

We actually took out all the interior walls at a little place we have. The ceiling was trusses (it's only one story), with a 26' long 2x4 across the bottom. Going from plaster & lath to ½" drywall reduced the static load IIRC, but in any case we were well within design limits for all the species I checked.

Imagine trying to buy a 26' long 2x4 today. Is that even possible?

I assume you could if you go to a mill and request it, no?
  • ratio
    Options
    Probably. I'm quite sure they'd try and sell you a finger-jointed board first though, or maybe a microlam of some kind. That kind of lumber doesn't just grow on trees any more.

Worked in a bldg a few years back, was 8"x12" solid oak beams throughout. Impressive.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    hate to over simplify but if there was a wall there and you know the floor has been patched then it looks like they kept the upper part of the wall (the beam) maybe to avoid having to patch the ceiling. And maybe to as @Gordy said define the two spaces.
  • ChrisJ
    Options

hate to over simplify but if there was a wall there and you know the floor has been patched then it looks like they kept the upper part of the wall (the beam) maybe to avoid having to patch the ceiling. And maybe to as @Gordy said define the two spaces.

Nope, it appears solid wood on both sides and bottom. I expected it to be framed with 2x4s, no such luck.

My dad asked me to have quite a bit of stuff on hand, apparently he's expecting the worst just in case.

• Gordy
    Options
    Escape route :p
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    i remember opening a wall in my sisters 1860's farmhouse and finding a 8" wide board being used as a stud. We intended to remove this non load bearing wall to open the room up but decided to double check just in case. We remeasured things in the basement and then the second floor and verified it was a non load bearing wall.

When we tore the rest of the plaster off the wall that 8" wide rough pine 2X was a little over 2" wide at the top. They used anything they could lay their hands on back then.

The old part of the cellar was a forest of cedar poles about 3 ft apart holding up split trees that were used as floor joists with 1X8 rough pine as the subfloor and wide pine as the finished floor. The wiring in the place was really "interesting", I must have put 3 or 4 coils of romex and a new breaker panel in that place.

Bob

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    You're right to be cautious @ChrisJ My current home is a testament to the forgiving nature of the building code. It may have been built properly to start, but it was not right when I moved in and started looking behind the walls. Not a thought given to where the weight would be supported once a bearing wall was moved. Between that, the random nature of electrical feeds and the "whatever I have in my hand" fastener philosophy, I'm surprised that the house didn't collapse or burn down long before I moved in. I haven't covered the ceiling in the basement yet, I should post some pics of the interesting method they used to try and level it
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Just like steam systems that work but are not 'textbook", house building has evolved. My house a 5 room ranch built in 1955, you would think that is a "modern" house as far as framing goes. It's pretty solid but there are things that weren't framed right.
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Updated duct layout drawing.
    After carrying the 14" pipe up to the attic I realized things weren't quite as long as I expected.

It's actually going to take effort to squeeze 5 foot of flex duct in there to each drop. For what I had planned, the connections were only a foot long if that, no good. I have plenty of room, just not the way I had planned it.

Here's an interesting chart on flex duct.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    It's gone.

My parents just left.

Last night I made up the return flex connector before bed.

• Gordy
    Options
    False beam eh?
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is the return plenum.
    The flex connector will be installed once it's in the attic.

All cut up and siliconed and taped. All joints are siliconed on the inside, and taped on the outiside.

It won't leak. I also had it professionally inspected.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Cutting the few remaining drops in horsehair plaster.

Preparing to cut 8x8 supply opening.

Installed 10x10 return. All that is needed is a bead of white silicone and the filter grill.

Zero cracks, smudges or any other damage to the 140+ year old plaster.

Rotozip + 1/8" tile bits to cut plaster, followed by 1/8" wood bit to cut lath. It's slow, but it does the job. Keep shop vac hose right by tool the entire time.

The plywood is to trace around using the foot of the tool.
    Canuckernjtommy
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Chris you've installed a steam boiler and now a ducted AC system welcome to my world. Btw nice job!!
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    ChrisJ
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,206
    Options
    Remember some of that old "horsehair" plaster has arsenic in it. Arsenic was used to remove the hair from the hides, once upon a time.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dave0176 said:

Chris you've installed a steam boiler and now a ducted AC system welcome to my world. Btw nice job!!

You, and others like you all have my respect.
    This isn't fun.

I used to assume forced air guys had it easy, I was wrong.

@hot rod Perhaps, but so do apples. I don't know much about it, but I'm assuming arsenic is released by your body therefore in small levels it is harmless?

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    I admire your willingness to tackle this type of work.

Arsenic is concentrated by the body so you have to take care.

Just get some old lace and all will be well.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    Options
    And be sure you trust whomever makes your coffee or tea >:)
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    edited April 2017
    Options
    "Arsenic does not build up in the body, according to Dartmouth. It can leave the system in a day or two, once consumption stops."

After doing a few quick searches I'm more afraid of rice now ;)
    Rich_49
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    JUGHNE said:

And be sure you trust whomever makes your coffee or tea >:)

Speaking of old movies, this one is still great.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,206
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

"Arsenic does not build up in the body, according to Dartmouth. It can leave the system in a day or two, once consumption stops."

After doing a few quick searches I'm more afraid of rice now ;)

I remember reading about the old plaster in a JLC article years ago, probably the least of your chemical worries these days. Never hurts to wear a respirator when working with old products that contain asbestos etc. May be no worse then the chemicals that China puts in our consumer products :)

I've heard that asbestos will be taken off the EPA warning list? The residence of Libby, Montana will be concerned to hear that news. I lived near Libby years ago when that was going down. Get those miners back to work.

https://www.asbestos.com/jobsites/libby/
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Slow moving right now, the wife ended up in the hospital for a few days which delayed things and I haven't been feeling the best.

The plaster ceiling I was afraid of damaging. Still spotless.

Started siliconing the elbows in my free time. Far from perfect, but they're sealed.

njtommy
  • njtommy
    njtommy Member Posts: 1,105
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race. Looking good.
    Canucker
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Terminal block setup for system.
    This will be an enclosure with multiple DIN mounted terminal blocks for each item. The air handler and thermostat blocks are double height so the green is for the thermostat. The colors in the actual device will be different.

The drawing may be hard to follow, it was just to get my thoughts down on paper. Ok, fake paper.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Here's the actual box, ready to be wired when I have a quiet night.

The attic is getting a bit..........smaller?

• ChrisJ
    Options
    This was from late last week when I finally got the return plenum hung.

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Vacuumed last night and gave up at 100 microns. It may have pulled lower, but it was getting really late and it sat there forever. After shutting the valves and pump off it crept up to 120 microns and stabilized.

• ratio
    Options
    Please, please, please pull that stoopid yaller sticker off the condenser, before it gets baked on & you're stuck with a ratty–looking AC. Good looking job though. Ritchie bender?
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    ratio said:

Please, please, please pull that stoopid yaller sticker off the condenser, before it gets baked on & you're stuck with a ratty–looking AC. Good looking job though. Ritchie bender?

Thank you for the compliment. :)

I started peeling it off last night while waiting for the vacuum pump, but gave up. I think I need to hit it with the heat gun to soften the glue.

Yep, Ritchie / YJ crossbow bender.

Most of my stuff is from them, though I'm really really disappointed in the valve core removal tool. It caused me hell last night and may have taken a few years off my life when I couldn't get the core back in, and then dropped the core inside the tool. :o