To get email notification when someone adds to a thread you're following, click on the star in the thread's header and it will turn yellow; click again to turn it off. To edit your profile, click on the gear.
The Wall has a powerful search engine that will go all the way back to 2002. Use "quotation marks" around multiple-word searches. RIGHT-CLICK on the results and choose Open Link In New Window so you'll be able to get back to your results. Happy searching!
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Zoomlock refrigeration press fittings

Paul SPaul S Member Posts: 1,213
edited March 20 in THE MAIN WALL
Have any of you guys been using the Zoomlock press fittings for a/c/ refrigeration systems?.... I have a good sized grocery store where I'm installing a bunch of reach ins and walk in boxes.... I would like some insight on the product .... before I make the jump to purchase it.....itll be a big time saver.... instead of brazing a thousand or so connections.... Thanks guys Paul S........ and I heard you can just buy the heads and it can be used on the Ridgid press machines.... RP200 and 340?
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
[email protected]
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 1,896
    The company I work for has used a lot of it. I myself have not used it yet.

The only thing I herd was that if used with soft tubing that you can have leaks if the tubing comes off the roll and is not perfectly straight where it goes in the fitting
  • Bob BonaBob Bona Member Posts: 2,026
    edited March 21
    One of my supply houses is stocking them. I'd use them in a heartbeat IF I knew they were as sound as a brazed or silver soldered joint. Refrigerant leaks are the worst, sneakiest things to happen and with armaflex and the crazy inaccessible places we run linesets, I'd need more faith than I have now. I'll sit this one out a few years...
  • Paul SPaul S Member Posts: 1,213
    edited March 21
    Thanks for the input guys...i think I'm going to braze this job, too many uncertainties .... I recently tested a zoomlock fitting....i pressurized it to 800 psi and it held.....but that is just a few joints... and they are not time tested.... I've made over tens of thousands propress connections in my career with a couple of failures due too poor installation ....i was in a rush and did not mark the depth of the pipe.... and in my opinion propress fittings will not leak and I believe just as good as soldering... but that's low pressure water....press fittings for high pressure gas I'm very sceptical
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    [email protected]
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • IronmanIronman Member Posts: 3,174
    Anyone old enough to remember Carrier's Compatible fitting from the '70s and '80s? If soft copper was used that wasn't perfectly round, then it would most likely leak. Use hard drawn and never have a problem. But that meant having to braze a hard drawn nipple on to the end of a soft drawn line set. So, what was the difference in doing that or just having a service valve that could be silfossed? Carrier finally wised up.

I just don't see that much difference between that and the Zoomlook. I hope I'm wrong, but I would have more confidence in it if they'd used two O rings instead of one.
    Bob Boan

You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • RPKRPK Member Posts: 13
    My employer started using ZoomLock a couple years ago. We have some pretty large VRF systems that went very smoothly and haven't had any issues. We had three smaller projects that had leak issues, and all but one leak were traced to improper installion practice. If not installed with care, it is easy to damage or dislodge the gasket when inserting the pipe. Soft copper does seem a little more problematic than hard.
  • Bob BonaBob Bona Member Posts: 2,026
    We've all unrolled enough copper and felt it egged out, ng for the Zoomlock seal. I can see success with hard drawn, which rarely gets used residential. The next think is how long will the o-rings last, will they be compatible with the next generation of refrigerants? Will they withstand chemical flushing?
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 1,896
    Again, haven't used it myself but some I work with have. They also said the smaller sizes are more problematic.

I have a death grip on my torch