Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tucker Carlson suggests UC Berkeley students would be better off with "HVAC repair training"

CLamb
CLamb Member Posts: 280
In the linked interview of Milo Yinnopoulos by Tucker Carlson it is suggested that because UC Berkeley graduates have a low employment rate that the Federal government would be better off funding schooling in "HVAC repair training". If you don't want to watch the whole interview start at 10:30.
https://www.facebook.com/myiannopoulos/videos/836731959798034/
BobC

Comments

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,245
    An old problem. Young people have no practical experience,but they know how to fix the world. Some of them,when they get older,get to write codes for people who actually do something.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Milo wouldn't be a topic is it weren't for the modern social media era. The world is changing very quickly. Anyone with a little flash and some communication skills and bucks the trend (gay and conservative) will get their 15 minutes of fame. Milo surpassed the 15 minute mark a while ago and is cashing in because he actually is making some sense. Just like Mike Rowe is making some sense. Just like Trump is making some sense.

It does put us trades people in not the best light the way they phrase this, like it's a back seat, less honorable.

I think that's how Trump won, the middle America people don't have the energy to bluster, they just want to go to work and take care of their families, go to their kids' soccer and hockey games.

Us trades people are the same way, we will let the youth (well, not my kids) pound their fists that they don't have well-paying jobs, as we hard working folks just do our daily thing and maintain general happiness.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    CTOilHeatSuperTech
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,245
    Not just tradespeople. Everyone working at non-talking job.
    SuperTech
  • cnmdesign
    cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
    Compared to the early to mid 1900s, does anyone really work?
    Had a job, $16 an hour guarding new gas wells in SE Ohio.
    Some wells had zero traffic. Kids would walk off the job leaving the guard shack open with a note saying they quit. Some the first day.
    Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
    www.afinalsalute.com
    SuperTech
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    I got a job at 16 because I wanted to buy my stuff. Then when I was 18 I bought my own car so my mom couldn't take it away any more lol.

Competent tradesmen in all the trades will be making good money because they are not going away.
    cnmdesignadasilvaSuperTech
  • cnmdesign
    cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
    Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,783
    Either the guy has it or he don't working in our field ..
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    SuperTechunclejohn
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited November 2017
    @Big Ed

I have enough experience to know, that I don't know it all........Sound familiar? Nobody's born with the knowledge. In any field there's degrees of skill. For some you just have to light the fire. For others you have to stoke the flame a bit.
    SuperTech
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    BobC said:

The more you know the more you KNOW you have to learn. I'm 70 and still learning. i don't intend to stop till they nail the lid on.

Bob

Got you beat, Bob. I'm 75. But are you sure you'll stop learning when they nail the lid on?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    @Jamie Hall Your probably right but I'll be learning whatever it is someplace else - like when I was in Korea.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    SuperTech
  • Certainly we need more people with combustion training, so our heating systems and cars make as little pollution as possible.—NBC
    SuperTech
  • Dennis
    Dennis Member Posts: 101
    That's all well and good until they find out hvac requires going to work and possibly getting dirty.
    Just do it, right.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,156
    Wow. All I can say is that it's only getting worse. My younger brother (23) claims he was taught throughout school not to have any respect for the traditional trades, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, auto repair. Pretty much anything that involves repair or installation is frowned upon. Working hard is for suckers....ugh
  • GW
    hahahha That’s a Barrack Obama sentiment. Wait till your brother has to pay these poor tradespeople. His attitude will change; maybe the easy way or maybe the hard way
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    SuperTechDan FoleyDZoro
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    > @SuperTech said:
    > Wow. All I can say is that it's only getting worse. My younger brother (23) claims he was taught throughout school not to have any respect for the traditional trades, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, auto repair. Pretty much anything that involves repair or installation is frowned upon. Working hard is for suckers....ugh

Good. More money for the ones who do, possibly my daughters
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    SuperTech
  • george_42
    george_42 Member Posts: 121
    I am a 77 year old master plumber that still goes out every day and works with the tools and I love it
    GW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    @George, good for you sir.

I don't know how you do it. You got me by 12 years and I have about had it.

As for this post, usually it's always the Plumbers getting bashed in the media. now their picking on HVAC guys too!!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    > @GW said:
    > hahahha That’s a Barrack Obama sentiment.

??? I don't get it.
    Sal Santamaura
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I think the biggest thing that is hurting young people getting into the trades is the education system that we have. My wife has a masters degree in education, and has had jobs ranging from grade school to college. In all of her K-12 jobs, she was told explicitly that she could not encourage kids to go to a trade school, but that she HAD to encourage kids to go to college. To the point of sitting 8 year old kids down for a full day of class one time and doing mock college applications, 'so they will be 100% prepared for the college application process when the time comes' (according to the memo). Trade schools, and the trades in general are portrayed to kids from a very young age as being a low paying, dead end job that is not worth pursuing for anyone who has any intelligence at all. Now, I consider myself to be a pretty well educated person, I pursued an engineering physics degree with a math minor in college (though I did drop out 2.5 years in not due to grades but due to that fact that I wanted to work with my hands and realized that the prospects for me with a bachelors in engineering were worse than continuing with plumbing and hydronics) and I have yet to meet someone who isn't surprised by the fact that I am a plumber who knows calculus. It is a deeply pervasive stereotype that trades people are people who 'couldn't make it anywhere else'. I think it is changing, but there is still a long way to go, and it will have to start with the education system getting rid of this absurd idea that college is the end all be all solution to getting ahead in life.

My .02
    CanuckerGWCLamb
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    Our education system is in shambles. I've heard it (highter education, that is) described as "the next big bubble". As long as we continue to pay more and more for an education that gets less and less suitable we're in trouble.
    delta TCanuckerJUGHNEGW
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Several years ago on bring your dad to school or job day I had a room full of 7th and 8th graders. I told them how the HVAC trade was a mix of electrical and plumbing and gave basic knowledge you need for your own home and what not. I told them you get to work outside and not sit behind a desk all day bla bla bla. And then I told them you don't have to wast 4 years in collage chasing and changing degrees. At least 4 parents called me and said never to tell their kids that they don't need collage. Collage is OK I you have a plan but how many 18 year olds have a plan. I didn't start out working the trade I worked at the car wash the vet a delivery driver printing co. then I got a summer job in HVAC. That summer just ended 40 years later. No the trade is not for every body but almost most any body can do it.
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    HVACNUT said:

> @GW said:

> hahahha That’s a Barrack Obama sentiment.

??? I don't get it.

Nor do I. Will reserve judgement until it's explained.
    Canucker
  • ratio
    I don't think it needs explained.

As far as I can tell, the biggest difference between our political parties is the people who are getting rich.

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,156
    It sure sounds like my brother isn't the only one was left to believe believe being a tradesman is something negative. What does this way of thinking tell kids about family members and parents who are in trades?

As far as my brother is concerned, he questions everything taught to him. He goes to Marist college and pays his own tuition he has been working for himself doing landscaping, snow removal, koi ponds. He's great with carpentry and automotive repair too. He's much different than all of his friends, none of them want to work with him.
    GW
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2018
    It follows that the current trend is young people now desire to live in condos/apartments vs. the "American Dream" of owning your own home (where the homeowner is responsible for repairs/upkeep).
    They also don't want to own cars- and if they have to have a car... they lease it vs. own so it gets turned in before things start breaking.

"Clean hands" and all is the order of the day.

It's a different world.....

• ratio
    Buy an apartment, and rent a car‽ It just doesn't make any sense to me.
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Depends how you approach it. It can make financial sense, if you invest the money you're not spending on a house. Didn't make sense for me or my goals but that's just me
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2018
    ratio said:

Buy an apartment, and rent a car? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Well it makes sense if you don't want to get your hands dirty doing manual labor/yardwork/car maintenance, etc..

We have several "near/at" 30yo relatives... only a handful are interested in home ownership... the others want to live near NYC/Brooklyn/Queens and are happy to rent. If something breaks... call the Super! Need a ride... use the Uber app. None, as far as I know are interested in raising a family.

• GW
    Barrack heavily pushed college education, let your judgements fly please
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    GW said:

Barrack heavily pushed college education, let your judgements fly please

President Obama's first name is Barack. To the best of my knowledge, he was never part of the word for service member housing.

Much as I agree that the trades are honorable, valuable, remunerative occupations, they're not for everyone. Sadly, as I've posted before, excluding the learned professions (medicine and law), for most corporate jobs a college degree is an admission ticket. It proves that one was able to successfully take crap for four or five years and, therefore, is qualified to take crap from one's corporate employer.

Perhaps I incorrectly infer from your comment, Gary, but it seems you're criticizing Obama for encouraging higher education. I don't think that criticism is deserved. What would be justified, in my opinion, is criticizing politicians in general for not encouraging those with the inclination to pursue trades. Neither career path is better. Just as important, neither is worse.
    Canucker
  • GW
    edited March 2018
    How ironic is that, I can’t spell the guys name who is pushing for higher education.

My son is a senior in high school, college bound. I have no beef’s or grudges

My general opinion is President Obama let the trades people of the world to hang in the breeze,As I have never heard any pro blue-collar sentiments out of him.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    SuperTech
  • GW
    edited March 2018
    Interestingly, Mike Rowe was on the Tucker show tonight. The guy has some wisdom. If you dvd Tucker I’d highly recommend you all check it out.

My wife is PhD, so I’m all for higher education. But honestly, many of these college graduates will not get anywhere with their college diplomas

Kids these days want to make dough. Yes, many will pither and whither when the world takes a big bite out of their sandwich. Others will flourish and leap frog our pay checks by the time they’re 25.

I was at my monthly/local master plumbers meeting last night. This topic of the average age of today’s plumbers is 52 was being discussed. One guy chirped up (doing his best to defend the trades) and he was kinda saying “I’m not sure what today’s kids don’t want a good job making bla bla bla money”. I kinda stopped breathing for a moment. No kid wants to work for what the man blurted out.

I was a little torn when my son didn’t go to the Voke school I went to. I wanted my kid to take the torch and make a good living. I could get him up to speed quickly. But he’s so good at school I would not hold him back when he was entering High school. He’s a senior now and off to Umass Amherst, engineering.

I think the Hvac trade is running higher chances of getting good help vs the plumbing trade. Many plumbers are a little too old school. Times have changed. I tune into some of the HVAC forums, it’s a different world. Mostly businesses talk with a technical topic here and there.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    If one plans on opening his own shop, number crunching and some basis business skills are critical, even if you plan to hire a bookkeeper, you need to watch numbers and understand financial documents. Being good at the trade is not enough for a business owner.

I think any administration that tries to dismantle the trade unions and pulls funding for trade schools and education in general is doing our trade and the country a disservice. For the most part good teachers are underpaid for what they contribute to society.

If the teachers are unqualified, not motivated the students are at a disadvantage.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    delta T