Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler

Dcboyd
Dcboyd Member Posts: 25
So it turns out that the old boiler needs to be completely replaced. How much does those usually run? I'm in the Baltimore, MD area

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    We don't talk price on this forum...

If this is steam, you would do very well to contact either @Steamhead or @Gordo -- they are absolutely top notch and in your area.

And keep in mind that you will be purchasing not just the boiler, but the installation and service -- and the latter is more important.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcopp
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    We're not allowed to discuss pricing here, especially pricing that includes installation costs as that could lead to Price fixing. We can discuss published equipment pricing available on websites but you can search those out on your own, if you know what you need/want. In most cases if's probably better to find a reputable contractor who installs what he/she has good results with or a contractor that installs the brand you prefer. Whatever you do, make sure the installer is top notch and know steam!!
    kcoppRomanGK_26986764589
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Fred
    KC_Jones said:
    You got that right!! I didn't notice this HO was in Baltimore.
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • Dcboyd
    @KC_Jones HO stands for homeowner right?
    kcoppPaul48RomanGK_26986764589
  • Ask the owner/landlord what she now intends to do.
    If you walk away, she faces an expensive replacement, with no tenant to provide income for the property. A vacant house will attract vandals and thieves, increasing the problems.
    In your case, she will have a good tenant (hopefully), whose rent payments will justify the expense of replacement.
    Alternatively, she could sell you the house cheaply, in a rent to own situation, and let you make the repair, which may give you some sticker shock. If properly done, you will have very comfortable heat.--NBC
  • Dcboyd
    @nicholas bonham-carter its no reasoning with her so i'm just going to take my kids and move. I wouldn't wanna do any kind of business with a landlord like her. Thanks for the advice i greatly appreciate it
  • TheKeymaster
    TheKeymaster Member Posts: 36
    In PA the laws are very biased to tenants. If the boiler needs replaced and the landlord said I'm not fixing it so just move, then the tenant could go to the magistrate and the landlord would have to fix the boiler before they could make the tenant move. It's the same if like a sewer line breaks and the landlord says I can't fix it so just move. They aren't allowed to do that. They are required by law to fix it and can't use it being broken as a reason to evict you. Not sure laws in your state but you can go to the local magistrate and ask. You'd be surprised at what a landlord isn't allowed to do. Believe me we had cheap low rent apartments as a family business and some people knew how to work the system and barely pay any rent ever. Although they'd move a lot. Probably worth it to only pay 3-5 months of rent a year.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    I know a guy that buys the units cheap, tears out the heating systems and puts electric baseboard in. From a slumlords standpoint it's brilliant.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Dcboyd said:

@KC_Jones HO stands for homeowner right?

I'm sure he means Home Owner. We don't care what people do for a living :D
    By all means keeps the steam heat...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    GordyRomanGK_26986764589FredDouble D
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    But can a HO discuss price?
  • Fred
    LOL, Yup, HO = Homeowner