Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ordering Parts from the Internet

Options
Tim McElwain
Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
A good reason to stay away from ordering parts on the internet. Customer ordered a part and when it arrived called service tech to install the part. Tech installed the part and it was not exactly like the one on the job. It came in a plain cardboard box with instructions and missing some of the wiring connections that are necessary to make the replacement control somewhat Universal. Cost of the part was double what it would be if original was ordered. I will contact my connection at White Rodgers to get the required parts for the customer/service tech. Too much of this going on welcome to modern America.

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I must admit I've had excellent luck getting those hard to find parts online. It does take some time and professional technical knowledge to know what you are looking at though. I like that spec. sheets are all right there so I can see what voltages, CV, diameters, materials of construction, etc are. Not always the case with local counter guys. I do my research online and will in most cases order an item locally if possible and reasonably priced. I like to keep the local guys employed too!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    GordyChrisJ
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    I have ordered some part online that are not found around here. Specifically Baxi parts.
    Had good luck.
    I wouldn't order a part online just because of a price point if its available locally.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    Try finding parts for a 1920s-30s Monitor Top locally.

Let me know how it goes.

Guess where you can find them easily?
    Right here, on the good old internet.

The problem that I see in this discussion is that a customer ordered their own parts, not the location they came from.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    i order parts on the internet all the time, and have been doing so for over 20 years. Once in a great while i get something that isn't what I thought it was but 98% of the time I get what I was looking for.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ChrisJHatterasguySailah
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    There are pro and cons with online ordering.
    Safe to say, the customer should never order parts. For many jobs, the hardest part is getting the right part. If the customer does not know enough to install it, chances are, they won't order it correctly either.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Right now, about 95% of our purchases are from the local bricks and mortar places. But if I need something fast and its not in stock locally, I go to supplyhouse.com. It will likely be in my hands within a day or two. Otherwise I'd be waiting at least a week.

I think the local stores could learn a lot from suplyhouse's model though. Service is consistently top shelf. Two weeks ago I got a cracked tub of flux and they delivered a new one within hours. The product documentation they have readily available on their website is an invaluable time saver. The inventory they carry, or have quick access to, can't be beat.

But I need to have a go-to guys or gals and I can't have that there. I like the personal relationships with the inside and outside sales people and engineers.
    Steve Minnich
    ChrisJGordy
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Right now, about 95% of our purchase are from the local bricks and mortar places. But if I need something fast and its not in stock locally, I go to supplyhouse.com. It will likely be in my hands within a day or two. Otherwise I'd be waiting at least a week.

I think the local stores could learn a lot from suplyhouse's model though. Service is consistently top shelf. Two weeks ago I got a cracked tub of flux and they delivered a new one within hours. The product documentation they have readily available on their website is an invaluable time saver. The inventory they carry, or have quick access to, can't be beat.

But I need to have a go-to guys or gals and I can't have that there. I like the personal relationships with the inside and outside sales people and engineers.

That's a big part of it.
    Supplyhouse has the old fashion attitude of "how can I bend over backwards to help you" instead of the modern "you're interrupting my conversation" attitude.

Regardless,
    Shipping times have dropped drastically and pricing is still reasonable. I don't see online suppliers going away, I see them increasing.

Also remember, with the local jobs being lost from brick and mortar stores, there are other jobs created at warehouses and shipping companies. The stuff gets to your door via people being paid to do so.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I will throw this in the mix. When you buy from the "brick and mortar" supply houses, you also are generally dealing with someone knowledgeable in the industry, not just an online warehouse pulling a part off of shelf 7 aisle 12. I will only deal with supply houses. I can reach out to a professional if there is a problem with a product, and not on hold waiting for the next available non-English speaking representative. I compare pricing online against my suppliers, and there really is no big difference in price for me. I would rather help keep jobs for people in my trade at these supply houses, than help create minimum wage order fillers.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    And it could very well be that the online store and your local brick and mortar are one and the same :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • billtwocase
    Options
    Could be Bob, but usually not as E-Bay, and Amazon are usually the go to's. Like anything else, we are our own worst enemy. Online anything is causing store closings and job loss, but the consumer has saved a few bucks. Mom and Pop stores are unfortunately becoming a thing of the past
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2017
    Options

Could be Bob, but usually not as E-Bay, and Amazon are usually the go to's. Like anything else, we are our own worst enemy. Online anything is causing store closings and job loss, but the consumer has saved a few bucks. Mom and Pop stores are unfortunately becoming a thing of the past

As I said above, all of the online buying is creating a ton of shipping jobs.

Not to mention, mom and pop shops started disappearing 30 years ago from Home Depot and Walmart. For automotive parts, Pepboys, Advanced and other chains have driven them out of business as well.

Mom and pop shops died off long before online shopping.

My biggest issue with buying local is I feel limited. Not the prices.

I'm so used to browsing through catalogs on websites, and ordering from multiple places at once. Not only that, once I see what they have, I can think about it and take as long as I want before deciding.

I can also research what I'm buying as I'm doing it. Read reviews, data sheets etc.

Saving money may be part of it, but it's a small part for me.

CLamb
  • billtwocase
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Chris, if you purchase from major suppliers, they have websites that will show product, price, and availability. Register for them. I use 4 different suppliers mostly, and will compare price, but mainly availability as I may need it yesterday. If I don't see it online in their inventory, they are a phone call away. It saves me time and $$$$
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Chris, if you purchase from major suppliers, they have websites that will show product, price, and availability. Register for them. I use 4 different suppliers mostly, and will compare price, but mainly availability as I may need it yesterday. If I don't see it online in their inventory, they are a phone call away. It saves me time and $$$$

That works for me too.
    But, doesn't that count as ordering online?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    My local guy is 40% higher on prices than online. My kids need to eat too. I can't support price gouging like that no matter what the reason.

I should add I am talking about the local plumbing supply, all other trades are competitive and many times cheaper. This phenomena seems to be isolated to plumbing supply in my area.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    MilanD
  • hot_rod
    Options

Actually there are wholesalers that move product through e-bay, but usually slow or dead inventory. And some reps, dealers and wholesalers are fulfillment centers for Amazon.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    kcopp
  • billtwocase
    Options
    Perhaps areas with less competition you would find gouging, and it isn't limited to plumbing and heating supplies. Chris, comparing price and availability thru my supplier's websites is not the same as random parts purchasing. I only research that way, but order and confirm by phone. When I say Mom and Pop, I mean supply houses that still have founders and family working them, and they are still around.
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 143
    Options
    My experience has been similar to @KC_Jones. Among the trades in my area of Washington, DC, local plumbing supply stores are almost unique in maintaining high prices, limited product selection and poor customer service.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I define gouging as having to buy something and you have no choice about where you can get it. Example: I started to build my house with a bank loan. I had a budget lined out and started building. Then the war in Iraq started, and all of a sudden osb siding jumped from $9.00 a sheet to $23.00. I didn't have any choice about buying it because I was already committed to the job, and the bank gives a deadline to finish. So, between the osb jumping up and the sheetrock prices, I paid a lot more than I wanted to build. If you can go somewhere else to buy what you need, then the other guy is just too high, but not gouging.
    Being as I also had a plumbing and heating store myself a few years ago, I am sensitive to people trying to say how pricing should be, with out being on that end of the fence. It is very difficult to be competitive with big stores, and if you want to stay in business, you have to have a higher markup. 40% is common on a lot of things that are sold.
    But, after my cancer treatments and the fact I didn't have much energy left to run a store, and the fact Ferguson will sell and deliver directly to homeowners around here, we decided to close the store. We still have a lot of people upset about it as we knew what people needed, could get it for them, and could answer any questions they had. And, they could touch it and bring it home right now. I told them they should have been more supportive of us when we were there.
    I don't know what is going to happen with our economy as far as internet sales go, but it is a tough one to figure out. It is hard not to be able to talk to people directly and touch the product. And yes, I do buy off the internet also, but where I live I don't have much choice.
    Rick
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Even the big wholesale HVAC chains cannot compete with the Amazon type models. Nobody moves "boxes" more efficiently or in a more consumer friendly way.

My Amazon Prime Smile account delivers free, sometimes overnight and donates to a charity I chose. How do you beat that deal if you shop products that do not need support?

I've been buying some unusual not locally available tools, fasteners, and parts for my tiny home project. I always look at the return label, most comes from some supplier other than Amazon.

So the plumbing and HVAC wholesalers will need to figure out how to add some value to stay in business. Empty shelves isn't one of them :)
    Or open online stores themselves.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    hot rod said:

Even the big wholesale HVAC chains cannot compete with the Amazon type models. Nobody moves "boxes" more efficiently or in a more consumer friendly way.

My Amazon Prime Smile account delivers free, sometimes overnight and donates to a charity I chose. How do you beat that deal if you shop products that do not need support?

I've been buying some unusual not locally available tools, fasteners, and parts for my tiny home project. I always look at the return label, most comes from some supplier other than Amazon.

So the plumbing and HVAC wholesalers will need to figure out how to add some value to stay in business. Empty shelves isn't one of them :)

I have a Prime account as well.

Just ordered a wet switch, secondary condensate pan and a few other things yesterday. Today, ordered 10 dust masks

https://www.amazon.com/Moldex-2300N95-Non-Oil-Particulate-Respirator/dp/B01FG9J7PS

No one will compete with that, and shipping was free on all of it.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

Just ordered a wet switch, secondary condensate pan and a few other things yesterday. Today, ordered 10 dust masks

https://www.amazon.com/Moldex-2300N95-Non-Oil-Particulate-Respirator/dp/B01FG9J7PS

Turn it into a Smile account. Mine donates to my sisters rescue dog group.

https://twitter.com/amazonsmile?ref_src=twsrc^appleosx|twcamp^safari|twgr^profile
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    hot rod said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

https://twitter.com/amazonsmile?ref_src=twsrc^appleosx|twcamp^safari|twgr^profile
    Dang it.
    I have a Smile account, I just keep using the wrong link like a moron.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I can't wait for supplyhouse to do same day delivery, like Amazon does now. One of their warehouses in in the SW suburbs of Chicago.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options

I can't wait for supplyhouse to do same day delivery, like Amazon does now. One of their warehouses in in the SW suburbs of Chicago.

They also have a distribution center here in Ohio now. I think Columbus area. Of course they now have to charge taxes in every state where they have a presence.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    @Abracadabra - supply house has a distribution center on the south side?
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

ChrisJ said:

hot rod said:

Dang it.
    I have a Smile account, I just keep using the wrong link like a moron.
    Amazon makes its easy to order, and reminds you constantly. I think if I mention a part or tool in my sleep, Amazon ships it
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Solid_Fuel_ManCanuckerMilanD
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,633
    Options
    That would be Echo, no?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    I am also finding that if I look at something on Supplyhouse's web page or Amazon it shows up as an ad on my MSN and Facebook pages the next day as an advertisement.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Honestly, Amazon, eBay, supplyhouse, etc etc make it so easy to buy things its about as seemless as it can get. Much different than having to use any state or government website for anything. Kind of goes to show how it works...

When I am faced with state, and government licence renewals it's like pulling teeth. Multiple logins, sometimes doesn't remember me, have to reenter info redundantly. You get the point. And where have those thousands of dollars gone? All for one to keep professional licenses and do the work they have always done.

Ok the box is free now
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    rick in AlaskaCLamb
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options

@Abracadabra - supply house has a distribution center on the south side?

@Stephen Minnich pretty sure 99% of the orders I've received recently from supplyhouse originate from Downers Grove.
    Tinman
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

A good reason to stay away from ordering parts on the internet. Customer ordered a part and when it arrived called service tech to install the part. Tech installed the part and it was not exactly like the one on the job. It came in a plain cardboard box with instructions and missing some of the wiring connections that are necessary to make the replacement control somewhat Universal. Cost of the part was double what it would be if original was ordered. I will contact my connection at White Rodgers to get the required parts for the customer/service tech. Too much of this going on welcome to modern America.

Generally speaking if the owner supplied me the part,especially a gas appliance part I stayed away from the job.....YOU BY IT YOU INSTALL IT....
  • PinkTavo
    PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I generally don't order much on-line, but will do so if I can't find locally. However, I am a commercial temperature controls engineer, and I use the Supplyhouse.com as a resource for their submittal and installation documents all the time. They have documentation that I can't find on-line from the manufacturers. Also, sometimes manufacturers won't give you any information until you have placed an order. I would buy from them more, but my company has limits on who we can order from.
    Solid_Fuel_Man