Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help me with heating a pet house

Options
aftons1983
aftons1983 Member Posts: 2
I have been trying for months to find a proper heating source for my pets (starting with inexpensive) and have been thru about 10 heaters. The one I used last year worked all winter but died fast this winter and 2 exact replacements did not do right. They are in a 7x7 rubber maid utility building that I have attached a doggie door onto. The building is insulated like a house but there are still a few leaks at the doggie door and doors in general. All in all it is a decent setup. I have 2 pigs living in there and I keep hay. They are no longer inside because one was struck by lightening while on potty break and she goes potty to often for me to keep her clean. She has a good life other than her home getting cold though. I want to eliminate that issue. I am also having cooling issues for summer but I will save that for another forum.

I have purchased 2 utility heaters and the basic sunbeam heater/fan. These 3 heaters are heated by coils and a fan. I thought they were cutting off due to getting hay dust sucked in (and there is a lot of hay dust to go around). However it seems that they are instead overheating which happened last night with no dust (hours after I cleaned it with can of air).

Being that I do not want them burned and they would probably eat a eater on the ground, I keep the heater chained and on a tiny make shift shelf. I am very ignorant to heating sources, carpentry, and anything else that might be involved in a setup. I am trying however with google as my only friend. It is difficult enough to find different heaters with a handle that can hang from a chain. Now I have to find heaters that will not over heat. We thought about trying 2 of the same heater to see if it kept it warm enough it would not overheat, but I feel that might not work. It would also increase risk of fire.

My next options are the oil heater which I have heard really good and really bad about. The only one with a handle to hang with chain had bad reviews. Also there is the heat lamp option which all research shows as unsafe and I just do not know if they will keep my pet warm enough. I really worry about her getting cold with her little injured always healing back and how her but is on the ground all the time when outside. To get something that will not cause a fire by hay dust, that will hang or is easy to mount, that will not over heat and shut off, and that will keep there little space at least 60 degrees when weather is in the 20s and 30s (or at least a lot warmer than the outside temps) is proving impossible. Please someone help my sweet angel Miss Piggy (and her brother Wilbur too). Thank you for any information! I will build something if that is best. I just am very ignorant about how to do it, but like I said google is my friend. I am out of ideas and afraid there is no hope. I would have put them in the garage except it would make her equally miserable not getting to graze and it would be hard to clean out hay in garage. Their setup is perfect except for the heating and cooling scenario. BTW I only use heat if it is going to get below 45 degrees. The building usually stays 10 to 15 degrees warmer than outside unless wind chill is bad.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Infrared brooder heaters. They are electric -- which I assume you have in the building -- and they hang from the ceiling. They are designed for the purpose. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011Z3SLQ/ref=psdc_510182_t2_B002L7E4AW
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    aftons1983
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Straw is less dusty. Hay contains seeds. Just a thought.
  • aftons1983
    aftons1983 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you Jamie for the information. I had seen this one before and only did not consider it at the time because it says you need an electrician to hook it up. I do have an electrician but was trying to stay cheap. It looks like I will have to consider this route at this point coming from an expert. Thanks so much!
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    This is surely a first for heating help. A very worthy cause none the less.
    Knowing the wattage rating of heaters that have worked well in the past would help with sizing.
    What would the little oinker think of these?
    https://www.matsmatsmats.com/commercial-industrial/heated/?Source=FX_GOOGLETEXT_LA-HEATED_MATS&gclid=CK7svtHWuNECFQO4wAodCUAHvw
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    A pig will eat almost anything, the heater has to be up out of it's reach. i do agree knowing the power draw of what worked would help.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Have you considered a smaller house inside the 7 X 7 that you have? That is a lot of area for 2 pigs. Maybe a 2 x 2 "bedroom" inside the big house would make them comfortable.......provided they would cuddle with each other of course. :)
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    How is the place insulated?
    If you covered the walls in 2" Styrofoam and the same on the roof it is possible that you may not need much of a heater...
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,583
    edited January 2017
    Options
    get an oil fill radiator from lowes or home depot. secure to wall with rope or wire.

Also, get a thermostaticly controlled power outlet from lowes. It will power radiator at 35'. Turn off at 45'. This is what I use for my chicken coop.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-King-Roof-Cable-Thermostat-099000/206087324?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-AirCirculation|&gclid=CNi8o8TeuNECFU5LDQodCkkBug&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-500-Watt-Electric-Oil-Filled-Radiant-Portable-Heater-HO-0218H/202295910
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Pigs eating the mats would have been a lesson learned the hard way.
    These are a nice product that don't get very hot.
    http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/
    You can get them with a t-stat on the end. You would have to wire a cord to it...
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Some good, inexpensive ideas there, @aftons1983 . My only comment -- and I've kept livestock of various sizes for over 70 years now -- is that anything, but anything, which is in reach of the critters will get chewed on. It will also get wet. That includes power cords... so if you do use a setup which uses a power cord or anything like that, either have it set up high enough so that the little guys can't reach it, or armour it.

I use all type UF feeder cable in my barns, and moisture proof junction boxes, switches, and plugs and sockets.

Just sayin...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The students at Purdue Ag school come up with some clever inventions. Radiant Engineering in Mt. helped with a sow cooling pad design, maybe get some ideas over at their site or get some students involved with a project idea.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream