Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PVC primer + combustion analyser

Options
ratio
ratio Member Posts: 3,626
Would a PVC primer spill (cleaned up, but still noticeable) make an impact on the combustion of a modcon? The cover has to be off to access the gas valve, so it's definitely sucking fumes in.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    Options
    I suspect there's no way for anyone to answer this unless they've been in the same exact situation and tested before and after the fumes cleared.

Is there a huge purple stain on the floor? :)

Guessing, I'd say it may lower your excess O2, in theory as it's a fuel.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I would be surprised if the primer had any effect.

For best results, you would measure the combustion with the cover on as that is how the system will operate. I have found it is always a bit different open vs closed. Usually you would get it close with the door off then open and close it to make the fine tune adjustments.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    When you start up your combustion analyzer out side then bring it inside what do you get for numbers? Any changes?
  • ratio
    Options
    Small purple stain. CO2 was a little higher than they wanted, but I wasn't able to fire it on high long enough to get reliable numbers. I've got to go back. I was just wondering if anyone knew for certain that it does or doesn't make a noticeable difference.
  • ratio
    Options
    Zman, the manual indicated I should expect about .2 difference cover off vs cover on, i was planning on accounting for that, then verify with the cover on.

kcopp, I don't recall any difference inside to outside.

In any case, I expect the fumes to be cleared out before I get there next week. It was more of a 'I wonder' question. Maybe I'll pour a little out after I've dialed it in & see what it does!

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Answer is yes any chemical in the combustion zone will affect operation of the combustion process and will affect you analysis. The good thing is when it drys up it should be okay. Same affect as bleaches , lacquers, thinners etc in the combustion zone.
    kcoppZman