Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In Floor Heat for Shop

Options
mopar_mudder
mopar_mudder Member Posts: 9
edited August 2016 in Radiant Heating
I am building a shop in Northern Wisconsin and I am going to put in floor heat in it. I am trying to decide the best route to go with tube size and spacing. My current garage is 30x54 and has 1/2" tubing @ 12" O.C. and heats just fine. But doing some research it seems it is recommended to go more like 9" O.C. with 1/2" tube.

New shop is going to be 56x88 and I am going to do it in two zones that are 56x44 each.

If I do 1/2" tube @ 9" O.C. with a max loop of 300 feet that is 12 loops per zone, seems like a lot.

What about going 5/8" @ 12" O.C. with a max loop of 400 feet that is 7 loops, would this be as good?

Or through all that out and tell me the best way to heat this big beast.....

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    It all begins with a heat loss calculation. Will the shop be regularly or intermittently occupied?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Also, what type of boiler? If you are considering a condensing boiler, all things being equal more tube= lower fluid temperatures which increase boiler efficiencies.

Here are a couple pages from Idronics 12 that helps explain how tube spacing changes the floor output.

Tighter tube will recover the temperature faster is what Kurt is thinking, as you have more heat emitter transfer. So if temperature setback will be used, more tube will speed recovery.

There is also some comfort difference, with wide spacing there are cool areas between the tube runs. That may not be a concern in a shop.

Tightening up tube spacing can only be done once, it is usually worth the extra

$$

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    I can run a heat calc on Monday. Can't tell you what kind of boiler because I'm not even sure that I will ever heat it, but I might want to some day. It is going to be storage for now but could turn into a shop down the road.
  • Firecontrol933
    Firecontrol933 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Unless you plan on walking around in bare feet in the winter time in it 12" spacing is fine. I personally would go with the 5/8" tubing and keep the loops shorter than the max recommended (400') only because you can get better flow both in the floor and at the boiler. Shorter loops also are easier to get less temperature drop across them which translates into a more even temperature across the slab, again this being a shop that might not be a high priority.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Many of the shops like that here in Missouri turn into living space, at least part of them. Consider that with loop layout, maybe an office space in part of it?

If I had one do-over in my radiant career , it would be to have all my past shop installers with more tube, especially some of the 18" OC.

That additional tube may allow solar or heat pump input someday down the road. If or when energy prices go up again, that extra could be worth the front end cost difference. As you can see in the example above, required supply temperature drops considerably with more tube.

Underslab insulation is another place to pay attention, years ago 1" was considered adequate, now 2" or at least 1-1/2 is common.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    SWEIkcopp
  • SWEI
    Options
    hot rod said:

Underslab insulation is another place to pay attention, years ago 1" was considered adequate, now 2" or at least 1-1/2 is common.

In Northern Wisconsin I would suggest four inches.
    Rich_49
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    Will be 2-1/2 under the slab, 2" is the norm here. Will never be living space, got the house for that, just space to store cars and camper. We also restore cars which I do in my attached garage , might move that out to this shop down the road though.
  • SWEI
    Options
    High mass radiant runs best on constant circulation with outdoor reset control. For intermittently-occupied spaces, you can set that up so it maintains a constant low indoor temp (think 45-50°F) paired with either a unit heater (Modine, etc.) or gas-fired overhead radiant to bring the space up to temp quickly when needed. The radiant floor heat keeps the building mass from going arctic, which keeps the equipment happy and makes working on it far less of a challenge.
    Canucker
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    You posed an interesting question so I ran a quick comparison using Siggy's software.

The 1/2" tubing scenario would require 3.5 to 5 degrees colder water than the 5/8" scenario depending on the temps.

With most condensing boilers the 1/2" option would give you an efficiency increase of about 1% at most.

The supply/return delta t on both options is are very similar using identical circulators. There should be minimal comfort difference.

As long as your heat loss is not more than 200,00 btu/hr (you should be able to get yours under 100k) for the whole building, a condensing boiler should work well for either option.

I started out thinking 1/2" would be better, now I think 5/8" would make more sense.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Harvey Ramer
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    I ran the heat calc and get 104,538 btu/hr
  • SWEI
    Options
    That's a lot of BTUs. What indoor and outdoor temps was that based on?
  • hot_rod
    Options
    SWEI said:

Just under 5000 sq ft in northern WI, a tad over 21 btu/sq ft. for a shop building may be about right?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Ironman
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SWEI said:

hot rod said:

In Northern Wisconsin I would suggest four inches.
    The federal energy code, which is superimposed upon the building code, requires 3" in the mid Atlantic area. It may require 4" in WI.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • SWEI
    Options
    hot rod said:

SWEI said:

Just under 5000 sq ft in northern WI, a tad over 21 btu/sq ft. for a shop building may be about right?
    Might be, though it really depends on the assumptions. Most calculators default to an interior temp of 65° - 70°F.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    SWEI said:

hot rod said:

SWEI said:

Might be, though it really depends on the assumptions. Most calculators default to an interior temp of 65° - 70°F.

Overhead doors can be a factor, even insulated versions have what, 1-1/2" of insulation, maybe R-7 and a high infiltration potential.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • mopar_mudder
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I use a program called ResCheck that puts the temps in for you. I know outside is -25, don't know what it uses for indoor. Funny thing is it gives me the same number basically even if I don't put the door in. About 50,000 each for Conductive and Infiltration.

As far as the slab goes all that is required is an R-5 to a depth of 4'. 2" under the entire slab is the norm here.

Garage door is 2" thick R-17, but you loose a lot around the perimeter, no good way to seal them up.

I think what I am going to do it 5/8" tubing with an average length of 270'. Will take 18 runs to do the entire thing.
  • SWEI
    Options

I use a program called ResCheck that puts the temps in for you. I know outside is -25, don't know what it uses for indoor.

Probably 68 or 70°F.
    Funny thing is it gives me the same number basically even if I don't put the door in. About 50,000 each for Conductive and Infiltration.
    That doesn't seem right. If the door is small it might not represent that much of the total load, but the infiltration should be noticeable.
    As far as the slab goes all that is required is an R-5 to a depth of 4'. 2" under the entire slab is the norm here.
    The norm is rarely right. Re-run the heat loss calc using three and four inch and see what you get. Try a radiant heat loss calc like LoopCAD -- there's a free trial.
  • FranklinD
    FranklinD Member Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm in Douglas County (Superior area), and designing our new garage/shop to be built next year. I planned for 5" under the slab and 6" around the perimeter and down around the footings. Our design temp here is -20, so about the same as yours.

I can't speculate on the heat loss or tubing loop lengths yet, as I haven't yet decided on 2x4 vs 2x6 walls, Fiberglass batt vs spray foam, and several other variables. But in our climate, the more insulation the better. Don't follow the minimums...I have a good friend who built a new shop out in the county a ways and he under-insulated his slab. It's amazing to watch the frost creep in from a few spots along the edge...I'm waiting for the frost heaves/cracks to start.
    Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
    Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
    Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems
    SWEI
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    All I can say is that I am in the building industry. I design and sell everything from garages to million dollar homes. You get to a point of diminishing returns on insulation. Just because company push all these rules through the building code to make more money doesn't mean they are going to save you anything.

Wisconsin code calls for R10 under slab and R15 for the perimeter. BUT if you run it through a program like ResCheck and it passes you don't have to follow those codes.

Bottom line is that I feel anything over a R10 and you are not going to get your money back on the investment. But it certainly can't hurt to put in more.
    Mark Eatherton
  • SWEI
    Options
    Insulation under a radiant heated slab is a different beast, especially with those design temps. When you look at the total budget, the incremental cost of going from 2" to 4" sheets of EPS/XPS is not significant -- and the labor difference is negligible.
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    When I run it through LoopCad using the same settings it comes up with 67,000btu
    SWEI
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    What are thoughts on slab sensors? I would like to have them so that if the doors in open the sudden cold air doesn't call for the heat to kick on. But I am not sure of a way to get them in toward the center of the slab where they should be. A 56x88 building with no interior walls doesn't leave much for options.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    1/2" PVC conduit. Just throw a run into the slab, maybe let it raise up in the center. You can use a fish tape to shove the sensor out, or run the pipe all the way across & just pull it halfway in.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    You'll have some scrap pex on the job. Just use that with a pex plug.
    Steve Minnich
  • mopar_mudder
    Options
    Is their any limitation on how far you can run the wires? Something like 100+ feet to the thermostat.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    It's possible that the sensor'll need calibrated, but I run that far frequently without issue. If you want to check, attach the wire to the sensor leaving the joints exposed. Let it sit for a while to acclimate, then measure the resistance at the sensor & again at the end of the wire. There should agree pretty closely. The paperworks for the sensor should have a chart showing temp vs resistance. if they're more than one or two degrees off, calibrate the sensor in the control.
  • SWEI
    Options
    3/8" Type L soft copper tube is a loose fit for a 1/4" thermistor probe.
    1/2" Type L soft copper tube is a loose fit for a 3/8" thermistor probe.

If you need a truly accurate reading, wire four thermistors in series-parallel.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I use pex tube with a caped copper stub at the end. You could fill that copper stub with some heat transfer grease also. Fasten it to the mesh or rebar, mid pour thickness if possible.

I like the concept of fastening the sensor to an old fish tape and leave it in the tube, in case a sensor needs to be replace.

When ever I would see the electricians leave behind an exploded fish tape I would grab it for cutting off sensor fishes.

Uponor and tekmar both have nice dual stats for floor sensing and ambient, you can program a not to exceed or a low point for the floor sensor. Nice for bathroom floors also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA