Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Goodman furnace LP ready from factory? Doubtful.

wcs5050
wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
edited November 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
Long story short.. I installed gas piping and connected it to a furnace installed by others, and had my work inspected. LP conv kit not on site, and LP cylinders not connected so I couldn't do a test run and measure input. Owner is trying to tell me HVAC installer says unit came LP ready from factory. I'm doubtful. This is a case of liability and I'm having issues with owner over his understanding of the situation. I was under the impression no warm air furnace came LP ready from factory. I spoke to tech support a while ago on part #'s but I'm foggy on his comments on this topic.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    Why would there be an LP conversion kit if it came setup for it from the factory?
    A little common sense will take ya a long way in life.
    I would highly recommend that you follow your gut and NOT connect any gas to the furnace until it's been converted.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    If it was converted it must have a sticker on it that says it was and who did it. I also have never heard of a furnace coming LP ready. A phone call to Goodman should answer that. Give them the model and more importantly the serial number and it they should know what gas it is set up for. Ask for tech help not customer service.
  • wcs5050
    wcs5050 Member Posts: 131
    i think your misunderstanding my query ironman, but thanks for your insight. Propane co connects gas after inspection pass tag is on stub out of building. I'm gone then, and they fire it off.
    That's what I'm looking for UJ. Thx
  • Ironman
    I understood. My point was: how could the installer be so dumb as to make that assertion when there was an LP Kit there for the furnace? And if he did say that, then I certainly wouldn't trust him to do the conversion.
    I've never seen a forced air furnace that came from the factory setup for LP. Unless Goodman has just come out with some new technology that we are unaware of, the HVAC guy is incompetent.
    Bob Boan
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,632
    The only way you would get a furnace already setup for LP was that it was requested by the contractor to the supply house to the factory otherwise it needs a kit. Those that come setup for LP will also have a label stating they are for use on LP.
    SWEIZman
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    I sure have never heard of a gas furnace coming factory LP!!!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Now going in the other direction, customer had a NG furnace and wanted to convert to LP. It was a Heil brand, factory & supplier said no conversion possible, you must order a LP furnace. This was over 25 years ago and the furnace in question was from the 70's, standing pilot. At one time people would change orifices and maybe gas valve. I have seen orifices soldered shut and then drilled out smaller for LP.....doesn't that sound exciting, it was fairly common 30-40 years ago. People were adventurous then.
    This job I was leery of doing and said not possible. Customer found some used furnace somewhere and crowbarred it into place. I never touched it.
    wcs5050
  • Ironman
    I do remember back in the late '80s I got called out to a new house where another contractor had installed an ICP 80% that was setup for natural but the house was on LP. We were told the furnace had been converted to LP but it had never been fired off. Obviously, I got quite a surprise when we fired it off.

I called the supply house for an LP Kit and was told that there was none available for the furnace: they said it had to come from the factory setup for LP.

After weeks of wrangling with the factory, they finally put a kit together and sent to me for an exorbitant price. We installed it and it worked fine. I guess ICP didn't trust contractors to do field conversions back then.

The customer was very happy that he didn't have to pay for a new furnace. He showed his gratitude by not paying me.
    Bob Boan
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Ironman said:

The customer was very happy that he didn't have to pay for a new furnace. He showed his gratitude by not paying me.

{Looks for groan button}