Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Propane Space Heaters

Options
2»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    edited November 2015
    Options
    SWEI said:

Headache, flushed face and neck, dizziness, and tiredness.

We were roasting a leg of lamb in an unvented natural gas convection oven in a very drafty 1919 house during cold, dry weather. Wife and I were both feeling out of it and suddenly the light went on. Ran outside and grabbed my analyzer, which registered 70 PPM ambient. Opened two windows which dropped it to 5 PPM in under three minutes, at which time we immediately started feeling better. Dropped to zero in less than ten minutes.

Stuck the probe in the flue of the oven and saw 1-3 PPM. Apparently it just built up in the space. Gave me a good scare.

So once again,
    Why isn't an outside vented hood required by code over any gas stove or oven?

I don't understand.

Even if it's producing 0 ppm CO isn't it still consuming O2 and do we really want to breath whatever other byproducts it's producing?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

It is on commercial installations. Between GAMA and the homebuilders lobby I would not count on seeing it mandated for residential anytime soon.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,716
    Options
    SWEI said:

ChrisJ said:

It is on commercial installations. Between GAMA and the homebuilders lobby I would not count on seeing it mandated for residential anytime soon.
    So once again commercial jobs get what's actually required and residential gets the short end of the stick.

If it was bad in your drafty house, imagine a modern fairly well built home. A modern home should require an outside vented exhaust hood with an automatic makeup air damper right by the appliance.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    SWEI
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    The local gas company here will not turn on the gas unless it is vented to the outside. I have had a lot of unhappy customers, who had a propane oven with no vent, when I told them they had to vent it. Especially the customers with the oven on an island in a vaulted ceiling space.
    Rick
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,625
    Options
    I recommend everyone get a CO Experts CO detector which alarms at 9 PPM immediately instead of the UL standard over the counter version which is 70 PPM after 240 minutes. Contact me and I will forward you the brochure on CO Experts detector. Phone 401-437-0557 or gastc@cox.net
    SWEIZman
  • jimma01
    jimma01 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I am not a pro but a consumer with personal experience with an unvented propane decorative propane stove/fireplace . Except for extreme emergence I would not use as a heat source. It's in a 1000 sqft tightly sealed house. If you run it long enough the oxygen sensor will shut it down (usually 8 to 10 hours). The air in the house gets "heavy" after a while . It's fine for a little extra heat but I usually open a window a crack. I shut the gas off to the device when renting to tenants . I don't want them running it. If we ever move into that house, the first order of business will be to replace that stove with a properly exterior vented stove or fireplace
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    jimma01 said:

I am not a pro but a consumer with personal experience with an unvented propane decorative propane stove/fireplace . Except for extreme emergence I would not use as a heat source. It's in a 1000 sqft tightly sealed house. If you run it long enough the oxygen sensor will shut it down (usually 8 to 10 hours). The air in the house gets "heavy" after a while . It's fine for a little extra heat but I usually open a window a crack. I shut the gas off to the device when renting to tenants . I don't want them running it. If we ever move into that house, the first order of business will be to replace that stove with a properly exterior vented stove or fireplace

;) In other words, the unit is operating exactly as designed. A tight house with little infiltration, oversized, run to long and it correctly shuts off if the O2 in the room declines, and the heavy air is what you get.
    What is the btu input on it and what part of the country do you live in. I'll size it based upon your information and the DOE Sizing Guidelines.