Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help?

Options
RobG
RobG Member Posts: 1,850
edited October 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
For the past couple of weeks my computer has not been changing the color of the posts that I have read unless I refresh the page (they look unread even after I have read them). It used to do it as soon as I looked at a post. The only thing that I can associate it to is that it started doing it the day after my wife used my computer. :( Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    I, too have recently needed to refresh in order to get "new" posts. Before simple hitting "back" would automatically refresh. It's only with hh.com, but a pain none the less.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    It's apparently the way things work now from what i have been told. They say it's always been like that that but it's obviously changed in the last few months.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I guess I'm glad that it's not only me, but on my end it just recently started doing it.

Dan, do you have any ideas?
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    I'll check. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • BobC
    Options
    @RobG did you upgrade your browser just before the change occurred?

In my case the change affected both Firefox and Safari on both my Imacs (one running OSX 10.9, the other 10.6). I know Erin contacted the folks who host the site and they essentially said what you see is what you get.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    I am experiencing the same thing. It used to not be that way.
    JUGHNEZman
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    It does it now on all the computers I use, both mac and PC, firefox and safari. It's just an extra step all the time.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    It doesn't work on my pc (Firefox 41.0.1 on XP), but it mostly works on Firefox for Android 34.0.1 on Android 5.0.1. That is, most of the time things are updated even using the back broom, but not always. Strangely, it used to be only some of the time, but it seems to have gotten better lately. I was thinking it might be related to moving from tower to tower, or switching between Wi-Fi & 4G, but now I'm not so sure.
    I can provide testing or whatever kind of logs that can be extracted from Android if necessary.
  • BobC
    Options
    While we're at it the inclusion of animated adds on the page has recently led to disturbing behavior. When I open up a comment thread and start reading the page will jump to the animation when it starts up, this is annoying as hell.

Please see if they can fix this.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Bob, that sounds like malware on your computer. Nothing animates here unless you click on the ad.
    Retired and loving it.
  • BobC
    Options
    I scanned the system this afternoon (Malwarebytes) and it came up clean, I'll try another scanner just to be sure.

It's interesting that the system that acts up the most has Shockwave Flash enabled while the one that is not afflicted has Flash disabled (old slower machine).

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    The jumping to ads is affecting my computer too... and it is definetly clean, but does have Shockwave enabled,.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    Options
    Try disabling Shockwave and see if that fixes the jumping. You can then allow Shockwave on a site by site basis. It's use is so pervasive that it can slow older machines to a crawl especially if your using Firefox.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,289
    Options
    I did. And it seems to have helped... I'll let you know!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Another way to stop active adds from zipping you up the page when they start playing besides disabling shockwave flash.

I got this from @Paul48 -
    ----------------------------------------------------
    I don't use Firefox, but I had downloaded it. Something had disabled the tracking protection, and I wasn't aware of it. I just enbled it again, back then, and was good-to-go. Did the ads disappear for you also?

---
    Follow the link below to check it out:
    http://forum.heatinghelp.com/messages/888#4334
    ----------------------------------------------------
    How do you accomplish this?

http://lifehacker.com/turn-on-tracking-protection-in-firefox-to-make-pages-lo-1706946166

Bob
    3PSI gauge