Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Using and Pulling a Vacuum on oil tank to allow oil line repair.

I have seen a soot vacuum cleaner used to pull a vacuum on an oil tank to allow the oil line to be removed and repaired however does anyone know of any technical manual or publication describing the "correct" steps in doing this? (If there are any..)

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,031Member
    I'd be really cautious about doing this -- it wouldn't take much vacuum to collapse the tank. Which could ruin your whole day...
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • burnerman_2burnerman_2 Posts: 297Member
    We I have done about 30... I just started doing it a bit different.... Be sure tank is 1/2 full if at all possible,,... Use a tie strap on vent with red rag to block some of vent... be sure fill is tight.. remove plug in basement .. get on floor loosen valve just a bit... put dope on new valve.. have your partner turn on vac... 2 seconds off and 2 seconds on... done...
  • billtwocasebilltwocase Posts: 2,385Member
    Done many that way too burnerman. Alone usually
  • Bob Bona_4Bob Bona_4 Posts: 2,083Member
    Done it too, it works. But you won't find anything documented.
  • lchmblchmb Posts: 2,894Member
    edited October 2015
    I have pulled a plug inside the basement...put the hose in, put an extension cord next to me an turn it on when ready....I wont generally do it if the tank is 10+ years...not sure my heart can handle the stress on old tanks...memory serves me right, there used to be an adapter you could purchase. you set the adapter to how full the tank was and it set the vacuum...
  • jhonnikolsonjhonnikolson Posts: 1Member
    edited January 30
    i have also bought a new vacuum recently, it is amazing.
    dyson v10
    area rug vacuum