Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pwer pile

Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
I am on a job with old weil mclain gas boiler with power pile and it has a pilot and l8148j millivolt aquastat and main flame wont come on and has new power pile and control. Could power pile be to weak to run circuit but but strong eneough to keep pilot lit. Help?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited March 2015
    Paul said:

I am on a job with old weil mclain gas boiler with power pile and it has a pilot and l8148j millivolt aquastat and main flame wont come on and has new power pile and control. Could power pile be to weak to run circuit but but strong eneough to keep pilot lit. Help?

Absolutely!

What voltage are you getting at the gas valve? Milivoltage, like any other voltage, is diagnosed by taking voltage readings to find the open or weak component. The difference being that MV is more susceptible to weak connections, dirty contacts, etc.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Check all safety devices, check for as suggested loose connections…Dot throw a gas valve at it unless your absolutely sure….they are expensive…You have a good meter with you and need help post your readings and someone will be sure to help…Google power pile and there is great info at your finger tips….
  • Paul_69
    Ok. My tech is on job. Will pos . Should first step be millivolt reading from power pile first step? Could that be just to low to operate control/gas valve. Thx
  • j a_2
    Yes
  • Paul_69
    Thx. Much everyone. Always a curve ball some where! Only ran into a handfull of millivolt systems im my 36 years and not much knowledge
  • j a_2
    No problem, NONE of us have not been in that position, Good thing, like you, we know how to ask??? Thats WALL POWER
    SWEI
  • Paul_69
    Waiting for some readings
  • Paul_69
    Should reading for pwer pile be with wires off gas valve and pilot lit?
  • j a_2
    Was t stat recently replaced? Pilot adjustment? Reading thermopile, tstat open main burner off 325 millivolts min. If not readjust pilot flame
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    JA I do not necessarily agree with the charts you posted. I believe those come from Robertshaw and are not accurate as to the proper way to troubleshoot Powerpile.

Go to SWEI recommendation:

Starting right here - thanks to Tim McElwain
    https://heatinghelp.com/heating-museum/procedure-for-troubleshooting-powerpile-systems/
    https://heatinghelp.com/heating-museum/charts-for-troubleshooting-thermocouples-and-powerpile-systems/
  • Tim McElwain
    When measuring the output of the powerpile generator disconnect the wires for the generator from the valve and hold the pilot on-off button down in the pilot position until you get the maximum reading, the minimum accepted is 540 millivolts but a clean pilot with a new generator should give 750 or more.

You can contact me at gastc@cox.net or 401-437-0557 for more information. I also have a complete manual on Powerpile systems.
  • j a_2

When measuring the output of the powerpile generator disconnect the wires for the generator from the valve and hold the pilot on-off button down in the pilot position until you get the maximum reading, the minimum accepted is 540 millivolts but a clean pilot with a new generator should give 750 or more.

You can contact me at gastc@cox.net or 401-437-0557 for more information. I also have a complete manual on Powerpile systems.

Thats fine I was just trying to help sir….I have used them for many many years and have great success…Always left with boiler running
  • Paul_69
    Thx. He cleaned pilot assly and got much better flame and burner cycled and fired..he had no service to give him any measurement volt readings. But it was passed on and absorbed by myself as well and we all profit from all the great help and advice.. thx to all.
  • j a_2
    Great Thats a good day…WE all try to help…What would be good is if the tech you had there learned something, and takes it from there..Thats what its all about…What its not about is to step on someone who is trying to help ……As there seems t be a lot of that going on lately…from certain people...
    SWEI
  • Tim McElwain
    Ja my posting was not meant to question your desire to help or your use of the charts you posted. They are not however really complete in a total diagnosis of Powerpile problems. In my many years of working on thousands of these systems some on steam, some on warm air and some on boilers I have found that it is much more complex than the charts and system Robertshaw came up with. I have used a program developed by Honeywell along with there diagnostic charts for charting out the actual readings. Along with that I have a manual I developed which completely covers all facets of powerpile. I believe as my many years of experience have born out that powerpile systems can be one of the most difficult to diagnose.

As a token of my good will and as an apology if I offended you I will send you that manual free of charge and I will pay the postage to your place of business.

Please contact me at gastc@cox.net with your postal address.

By the way as most on this site who know me will tell you it is not my nature to step on any one, it is only to help. Just the same please accept my apology.

Paul for you I hope your problem is resolved, I can however tell you that powerpile systems in order to be sure you got all the problems a complete set of millivolt readings have to be taken. If not just getting it to come on and run does not mean it is completely repaired.
    SWEIIronmanRobGZman
  • j a_2
    Totally understand. I did years back attend your class. Very helpful...I am a mass guy...Again thanks and you always have the very best of intentions...
  • j a_2
    I was waiting on your post to help him as you always do...don't see it so I did the best I could