Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ProPress vs Sweat

13»

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,127
    Canucker said:

Gordy said:

Some of us have sausage fingers Erin ;)

What are you saying @Gordy? No watchmakers here?:)
    I have both sausage fingers, and am learning to work on clocks as a hobby.

So........... sausage fingers and fine delicate work can mix.

So there! Sausage finger people unite! :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Erin Holohan HaskellCanucker
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Almost as much fun is changing surface mount IC's on a PWB without reflow equipment. I usually use a magnifying lamp and a magnifying visor so I can see the bitty pins. Then I try to time the soldering iron movements with my hand tremors to get the thing soldered without shorting anything out.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    4Johnpipe
  • ChrisJ
    BobC said:

Almost as much fun is changing surface mount IC's on a PWB without reflow equipment. I usually use a magnifying lamp and a magnifying visor so I can see the bitty pins. Then I try to time the soldering iron movements with my hand tremors to get the thing soldered without shorting anything out.

Bob

Ever done BGA by hand?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    At my stage of life I can't see them so I just ignore them, 16 pin SOIC's are pretty much my limit.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2016
    BobC said:

At my stage of life I can't see them so I just ignore them, 16 pin SOIC's are pretty much my limit.

Bob

16 SOIC!?
    That's huge!

Chips like these are a bit challenging.

0402 and 0201 passives are also fun.

• BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    Since website features came up, using Safari for iOS, when I click "quote" the post isn't copied into the new comment box. Instead, "null" shows up in the comment box. Maybe I need to reset something?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Do they make an after-market die for the Xilinx? I'm having a hard time locating the ProPress-branded die.
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    BigRob said:

Since website features came up, using Safari for iOS, when I click "quote" the post isn't copied into the new comment box. Instead, "null" shows up in the comment box. Maybe I need to reset something?

I've always had the same issue on Android as well.
    Basically, quoting only seems to work on a desktop machine. Not sure why.
    GW
  • ChrisJ
    ratio said:

Do they make an after-market die for the Xilinx? I'm having a hard time locating the ProPress-branded die.

Solder only i'm afraid. :)
  • ratio
    Not to drag this any further off topic, but do you have an opinion on how well the auto route works on the various free board layout packages? I've on occasion in the past wanted to make a few one-offs, not much more complicated than following the reference design, but I don't have the depth of skill to do a custom layout.
  • BobC
    Sorry no help here, my last layout was done with tape on mylar! I pretty much stick to vero board and I'm not even sure if they are still around.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • ChrisJ
    ratio said:

Not to drag this any further off topic, but do you have an opinion on how well the auto route works on the various free board layout packages? I've on occasion in the past wanted to make a few one-offs, not much more complicated than following the reference design, but I don't have the depth of skill to do a custom layout.

Can't help sorry.
    We have a guy where I work that does all of that and the last boards I did my self I paid a friend to lay out for me.

I'm going to guess auto layout probably works for simple things, and doesn't work for most.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,348
    BigRob said:

@BigRob, have you updated to the latest versions?

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    Howdy Erin. I am using the latest version of iOS. Maybe I can clear some settings to fix it. I assume you don't see this behavior on your side?
    Alan Welch
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,348
    @BigRob, yes, my last post to you was from Safari for iOS and I didn't run into issues. Please try clearing your browser cache and send me a message to let me know if that works. Thanks!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    After bragging about all the tiny things worked on does the collective still need a shift of radio buttons?
  • ChrisJ
    Gordy said:

After bragging about all the tiny things worked on does the collective still need a shift of radio buttons?

I don't see any radio buttons, and yes.
    However as Erin already mentioned, it's not possible so people need to be more careful.

• ratio
    ISTR that one can un-like by clicking the button again.
    Gordy
  • wholesalerbill
    wholesalerbill Member Posts: 20
    Here's a couple of pics of a Pro-Press job I sold to one of my customers. It doesn't get much better than this. Done by a real professional. I quoted him in Pro-Press and solder fittings. Although the cost of solder was much lower than Pro-Press, the labor time was substantially lower than soldering. He didn't have one leak out of the hundreds of fittings installed.
    SWEIIntplm.
  • noviega
    noviega Member Posts: 1
    Installed many Viega valves only to have them fail in 2 years or less, Don't use!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,074
    @lza

Not a fan of PP but you answered your own question. Propress. The old valve is leaking by.

Even with the excessive cost of PP fittings putting in a PP valve will be much less cost overall
  • BenK
    BenK Member Posts: 14
    They both work fine.
    "Don't try to win an argument; instead, try to have a conversation." -Steve Deace