Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

**** moment on the way to work

Tolik
Tolik Member Posts: 85
edited January 2015 in Strictly Steam
I've walked by my neighbors house a hundred times but today was different. It was 10 degrees this morning and this is what I saw...

Had to stop and take some pictures. I want to knock on the door and tell them about it but I'm not even sure how to advice.

Comments

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,634
    I start with:" Hey neighbor, you have a leak". Then: ****?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    At least he is using our favorite vent, the Hofmann 40!
    I think we can calculate the amount of over pressure by the height of the stream of water squirting out. Probably he will be in need of a boiler replacement in a few weeks, (with all that makeup water), so perhaps he should come here and use the find a contractor button.--NBC
    enviro127ZmanRomanGK_26986764589
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Unless your neighbor is really handy with pipe, the same guy that piped that to the outside (because it kept spraying on the ceiling) will be replacing the boiler that rotted out and doesn't steam well.

They'll go with scorched air because it is cheaper to install

He'll be trying to sell the old period CI radiators.
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 363
    icesailor said:

He'll be trying to sell the old period CI radiators.

Unless they are cast iron baseboard...

This is like the guy with the main vent on the roof! Or maybe it's a science project to see how quickly steam freezes?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    OMG!!! Is all I can say.
  • Tolik
    So I should knock on there door and say, "hey neighbor I live two houses down from you and I was just wondering why are you making snow?"
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    You think he's got steam or hot water for heat?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Oh.. i got it... maybe he's trying to create snow.
  • Fred

You think he's got steam or hot water for heat?

From the looks of it, plenty of both!
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    global warming **** yanks
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    WOW is all I can say. The piping and and the work to bring that vent outside probably cost more then a replacement vent!!!!
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Repairs like this are like marrying your sister; just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
    jim s_2RomanGK_26986764589
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,199
    Next time look up...maybe it matches what is coming out of the chimney... or it is the chimney for a really small boiler gone bad?
  • Tolik
    edited January 2015
    I stopped by. The homeowner is telling me that its a "safety feature." He's had it like that for 10 years.

For now I only had "that's not supposed to be there" advise.

I did welcome him into my home, he wanted to see my boiler. He thought I had water heat. "Mine is steam" he tried to convince me, "that is how it's supposed to be like that, outside." he said. Nice guy.

A BIG thank you to everyone contributing to this amazing site. Mr. Holohan, Thank you for a place to pass on the knowledge. Happy and healthy 2015!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    Send him to this website for some education, possibly recommend Dan's books or if you have them loan them to him. There is no place that is correct. And if it was a safety and blowing off like that it has a serious problem.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,121
    A Hoffman 4A vent mounted outside that is leaking and clearly overpressured?

That's not a safety feature, it's just silly.

Actually, I wanted to use another description but silly seems nicer.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    where is this?
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    Yeah, but the rads on the top floor FINALLY got hot... Once. :)
    Al Corelli

• Fred
    Actually I think its a Mister for their foundation plantings. It's on a timer but they forgot to turn it off for the season. They have to run the central air at 50 degrees in the summer to accommodate the effects of this watering system.
  • Tolik
    edited January 2015
    Picture from today:

This is in Brooklyn, NY
  • ChrisJ
    If there isn't a wall of shame there should be and this could be item #1.

This is so bad it makes me laugh rather than get upset.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Scaling from the size of the downspout, the blk 90 ell looks 3/4".
    To me the number on the vent looks to be # 45, Hoffman book says it is a convector vent. I bet they are using it for a steam main vent. It looks cold there.
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2015
    JUGHNE said:

Scaling from the size of the downspout, the blk 90 ell looks 3/4".
    To me the number on the vent looks to be # 45, Hoffman book says it is a convector vent. I bet they are using it for a steam main vent. It looks cold there.

Looks like a Hoffman 4A to me. I have two of them brand new that I bought before joining this website. Actually, one is partially used for a few months but you could never tell. They are beautifully made vents, just way too slow.

EDIT: Actually, it appears you are correct! My apologies. It says right on it 45. Perhaps a 45 is the same as a 4A?
  • JUGHNE
    Book chart shows: 4A for mains, small system-MOP of 2 PSI--float thermostatic vent.
    45 for convector/small systems & MOP of 6 PSI; no mention of float. It probably needs that higher pressure rating. It must be coming out thru the bsmt sill plate.