Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

considering putting a radiator in the basement

Comments

• maybemark
    maybemark Member Posts: 1,131
    un heated
  • maybemark
    then my heat loss is not as high a number than what I have?
  • maybemark
    it sounds ,like I have much to many radiators
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    To help you understand what kurt has laid out go down the third column. Any number to the corresponding room above 150 is under radiated. Any number below 150 is over radiated for the heat loss to the space it serves. This would be at design conditions.

The 150 is BTUs per SF of EDR rated at 170* AWT.

• maybemark
    but, since I didn't count the basement as having some heat, wouldn't this chage those numbers?
    for the most part i am was or rateated, except my bedroom and front hall
  • maybemark
    please answer this
    the boiler that i purchsed, a whn085, will it heat my house ok?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    As Gordy mentioned: the system was almost certainly balanced when it was originally installed, who knows what kind of changes have been made since then, and none of us have actually seen the place. I would not worry about the WHN085 being too small.

The BTU per square foot number is a guide -- to sanity check the measurements and the assumptions. When we see a variance like that, it generally means we return to the job to look around a bit more carefully and perhaps ask a few questions. It doesn't mean we start ripping out or replacing radiators. Sometimes a bit of apparent imbalance turns out to be just a condition we did not think about -- like a room with solar gain or kitchen heat or convection from another space.

To wrap up what I started a couple of pages back: Your ground floor heat loss is roughly 50k, and should need somewhere between 3.5 and 5 GPM of flow maximum. If you put a radiator (or fin tube) in series with that, try to limit the added resistance to 1 or 2 feet of head.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    will a 15/58 fibe me that flow, or do i need another pump
  • SWEI
    15-58 on low speed should be close, and you already own it.
  • maybemark
    great, thank you very much
  • maybemark
    swei
    I appeciate you doing these calculations, but honestly, my anxioty went sky high, when i would ask a question, and not get the answer. This left me in a place, the unknown. this scares me, I keep asking, and more calculations come up, but my question is never answered. I hear my house is so out of balance, i don't know if this is good or bad. Then you leave.
    Do you get off on scaring people with your knowledge, and then just leave them hanging?
    then Corey was doinf the same thing to me
    I have alot to learn, and helping is great, and appreciated
  • SWEI
    maybemark said:

swei
    I appeciate you doing these calculations, but honestly, my anxioty went sky high, when i would ask a question, and not get the answer. This left me in a place, the unknown. this scares me, I keep asking, and more calculations come up, but my question is never answered. I hear my house is so out of balance, i don't know if this is good or bad. Then you leave.

It's called going to sleep. Before that it was eating dinner.
    Do you get off on scaring people with your knowledge, and then just leave them hanging?
    then Corey was doinf the same thing to me
    Nobody's doing anything to you here except trying to help you get your system working as well as it can.
    RobGHarvey Ramer
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    The answers you get here are very generic, some are just copied and pasted…some are not…The reason is ,the responder is not there to see the actual job….My thinking is you are over thinking this job…Many of your questions were answered, all of your questions are answered in Dans writings…The book How Come is great for homeowners like yourself….Read the books, ask questions, listen, and use common sense
  • maybemark
    ja
    no cooment
    swei
    thanks for your help
  • j a_2
    No problem I was pretty much known for saying it as it is…like it or not was my thinking...
  • maybemark
    ja
    no comment
  • j a_2
    understood…that will be that
  • maybemark
    now what does that mean? and how is that helpful?
  • maybemark
    I was never told, did i make a mistake on not counting the basement, when i calculated the heat loss?
  • maybemark
    when it asked about the 1st floor floor, i put unheated area
  • maybemark
    I guess i have to watch what i say on this site, it can ends up being held against me
  • maybemark
    with the calculations that SWEI was nice of to do for me, I have more radiators than i actually need (this is what I am understanding) please correct me if i'm wrong. If this is true, my return water should be alot cooler than mt supply (which is a good thing?) Does this cause the boiler to work harder to heat more water for my system?
  • Gordy
    no it makes the boiler run at higher efficiency with a mod/con boiler. The lower the better.
    maybemark
  • maybemark
    thanks Gordy
    it sounds like since my system is so out of balance, my boiler should be running at an extremly high effiency.

Getting back to my downdstairs radiator, i will have Fred pipe it as you say, in series with the kitchen radiator. It just so happends that kitchen radiator is the last radiator on the one run i have, it seems like it would be helpful for the efeciency piping it this way, but, will this cause the basement radiator to have little heat going to it?
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I have forgotten more about this long thread than I can remember. That said, if you keep a tight reset curve on the system and pipe the basement rad in series with the kitchen rad it will not get as much heat as the kitchen rad. However, I think I recall you saying that you didn't want much heat in the basement anyway? As for balancing the system, no one who is not there can help you with that. If it heats well now, it should heat well with a properly installed modcon.
    Gordy
  • maybemark
    Rob, thanks for the input.
    Your close on your thinking.
    it's not that I don't want much heat, I'll settle for less heat. right now my basement averages about 50 degrees down there. but it got alot of the heat from the old boiler, flue, and uninulsted pipes. Now I insulated the pipes, and the new boiler won't be giving off the heat like the existing one does. If I can get 50 degrees down there, this is what i am used too, if i get better, this will put a smile on my face.
  • maybemark
    as far as the balancing goes, every radiator has a valve on it, some of the valves need to be replaces. We will be doing this, when the system is down for the replacement
  • Gordy
    Just remember when you get n
    The new install done I would start over with the balancing. Have all valves wide open, and do your fine tuning in small increments. Give the adjustments time to settle in a period of a few days. Try to do this when weather is consistent not big fluctuations in weather change. This may take all season to dial in.
  • SWEI
    Can you put the basement radiator (or parallel fin-tube as I suggested earlier) directly over (or adjacent to) the area you want to work in? Radiant energy falls off with the inverse square law, so closer is warmer -- by a lot.
  • maybemark
    thanks gordy
    it wont be for 2 1/2 months until the instal, and swei and i had a discusion about the tuning. We didn't get into great detail
  • maybemark
    hi swei
    I have an extra cast iron radiator i was thinking of using, next to the laundry area, so, this would be too difficult to hang on the ceiling, but fin tube is another story, that would be easy, but, woudn't I be running low water temp, and doesn't fin tube need high temp?
  • maybemark
    what about doing both?
  • maybemark
    when Fred put in the branches for the new raidators he put in the kitchen, he used 3/4" copper, is this a problem? The radiators get very hot now.
    when i bring the radiator to the basement, should the copper increase, or keep it at 3/4.
    Or. do you feel it should be 1" upstairs?
  • SWEI
    If it's working now, you are fine with 3/4" copper. Look at the GPM numbers I posted above.

Fin/tube works better at higher temps for sure, but scrap pieces can be useful in applications like this. Your "scrap" is a radiator, so put it to use.
  • maybemark
    I can have it right next to the slop sink in the basement, nxt to the slop sink is the washer and dryer.
    The 3/4 works fine now.
    Being the basement, it shouldn't get too cold down there. Those are the only original windows in the house, in the basement. I do have storm windows on them, and I put visqueen on the inside, thinking more protection.
    What gal per min rates amI look at?
  • SWEI
    SWEI said:

51,000 BTU/hr would need 5.1 GPM at a 20˚F ΔT or 3.4 GPM at a 30˚F ΔT.

• maybemark
    I'm sorry to say, i don't understand this
  • maybemark
    3.5 and 5 GPM of flow maximum. If you put a radiator (or fin tube) in series with that, try to limit the added resistance to 1 or 2 feet of head.
    I wish I would understand everything you type, but I don't,
  • SWEI
    If you pipe something in series with the zone, it will likely have 3.4 to 5.1 gallons per minute flowing through it.
  • maybemark
    ok, is good?