Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repipe or not to repipe...

Options
So in my other thread I mentioned some areas that needed improving on my one-pipe system.
I have since got my venting dialed, installed a 3psi gauge, and did a couple skims of the boiler. I have gotten my cycle times down from 45min to about 30-35min. On Sunday, I plan on getting all my mains insulated which should hopefully make the system more efficient.

In the other thread, a couple of pros on the site recommended repiping the near-boiler piping and redoing the header. A pro from the site stopped by the other day and he is working up a quote for me for the repiping. The thing I am wondering is... will it be worth the expense?

The system is silent, no hammering, no whistling. The 3psi gauge never goes above 0.5psi. The boiler makes steam in 7min and the second floor radiators start to heat within 3-4min after steam. Sunday's project will only make that better I hope.

How much more efficiency can I expect with a new header? What could my ROI on the re-pipe project be? Does a crappy install sometimes just work?

The pictures are in the other thread but here they are again...
Thanks!
2001 Slant-Fin Liberty II LD-40, Single pipe steam
456 sq/ft connected load
3PSI gauge

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options
    I don't think I looked at those pictures before. Have to admit that the piping arrangement is... ah... different.

And much as I hate to take away work from a guy -- we all need as much as we can -- I'd have to say that yes, sometimes a crappy install works. That piping doesn't resemble any of the usual diagrams, but -- if it is quiet and quick, it is unlikely that you will gain much efficiency by repiping. I often operate on the theory that if it ain't broke, I don't fix it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    RobGZman
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Well if it works!??? Sure looks like the three stooges piped it.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    I agree with Jamie.
    If you don't have banging or heat distribution issues, don't spend the money

I can't tell how many BTU your boiler is or what size that one riser is but what may be saving you is that the one riser you have seems large enough to keep the velocity down low so you keep the water in the boiler

I would use 1" thick fiberglass on all boiler and overhead piping
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • TheRooster
    TheRooster Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the comments,

I really like to make sure that everything is done right and I don't mind spending money to make sure it is done right. My problem is that if it is already done this way, is it worth redoing? I don't really see the point in redoing the piping if everything is working fine the way it is, even though it is defiantly not textbook.

Thanks Paul, the riser is 2.5in and the boiler is 146k btuh net. I have 1.5in fiberglass insulation going on all pipes except some 2in insulation for in an uninsulated stairwell. This size boiler does not have the option for two risers.
    2001 Slant-Fin Liberty II LD-40, Single pipe steam
    456 sq/ft connected load
    3PSI gauge