Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can/Should I remove Ceiling insulation in Boiler room?

nab311
nab311 Member Posts: 2

Hi. Thanks for viewing my post. Any insight would be appreciated as I haven't gotten much feedback from local folks on this yet.

New Homeowner. Northeast. 1000 Sq Ft ranch with semi-underground basement.

This utility room has the water heater and boiler. The rest of the basement is finished with walls and ceiling insulated and covered in drywall. All Boiler room walls are insulated and covered in drywall as well. finished part of basement has baseboard heating too.

However, this insulation (is it Rock wool?) is exposed. It tends to be very dusty in here even though i do not touch the insulation. My room is above this utility room. I understand the lack of sound barrier and the fact that if I remove this insulation my room above will feel very warm.

My question: Is removing this insulation a fire/safety hazard at all? if there was a fire would this even help at all? I guess if it doesn't make much of a difference safety wise I' like to remove it and see how things go from a comfort standpoint in my room. I cant drywall the ceiling here because of the pipes.

Basically what are the pros and cons of removing it?

Any other alternatives to this insulation? I also have to strap it somehow because It is only wedged in there and I'm afraid it's going to fall.

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 974

Depending on when the house was built, the building code may have required that insulation. You might want to check before removing it as this might be called out by an inspector in the future when you sell.

Bburd
  • nab311
    nab311 Member Posts: 2

@bburd it was built in 1955. NYC. Thanks.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,128

It's probably for noise only and to prevent the room above from overheating. If it was for fire protection the ceiling would be sheet rock. Take it down if you want.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,796

By the looks of that photo, you can drywall that ceiling. Or you can put some other ceiling covering like 16x16 panels of metal or fire rated cement board around the heater area. If you are not that handy, there is a Sheet Rock guy that might take it on as a side job. That's a piece of cake for a Drywaller that does it for a living. Stop by a construction site at lunchtime and ask around for the drywall guy that might want a side job on a weekend.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Long Beach Ednab311Larry Weingarten
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 146

I'd put an acoustic/suspended ceiling just in case you need to access the pipes or electrical wires entering the utility room from the ceiling.

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 6,144

Stop by a construction site at lunchtime and ask around for the drywall guy that might want a side job on a weekend.

Or "ways to make friends with construction companies" LOL

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

EdTheHeaterMan
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,101

5/8" sheetrock over the boiler is required by me.

If the room is very well insulated, I would be concerned about combustion air for the boiler and water heater.

EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,796

I see a video in this topic: How to make friends with The Helpful Union Guys. or. Watch out for those THUGs Directed by @EdTheHeaterMan Camera by @ethicalpaul

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ethicalpaul
  • JimP
    JimP Member Posts: 90

that insulation looks like rock wool. That’s a much superior product to fiberglass. I don’t think it’d be too hard to put up a drywall ceiling. It looks like the “finishing “ job in that room has been started and not completed. If you remove that insulation be sure to wear complete protective clothing and a good respirator because the fibers are very uncomfortable.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,131

5/8” Sheetrock may or may not be required by the local code. Either way it’s added insurance in case something goes wrong.
    Code is minimum standard.

That Romex stapled below the floor joice is a different story.