Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar / Knight Boiler 80-285 Issues

arcticpenguin
arcticpenguin Member Posts: 61

Here in Alaska. It is getting cold quick. I had purchased this home a couple years ago. I had issues with this unit 2 winters ago and replaced the sensor and igniter (very easy, two screws). after i did that, the unit worked well-enough until now.

Right now I have the thermostat set to 75 and it is less than 65 inside. Tolerable, yet still quite cold for my son and myself.

A couple noteworthy observations:

The hot water heater appears to still be producing hot water which gets its heat from the boiler installed right next to the water tank. But, the baseboard heating is not giving off any heat…hence the cold house.

I will happily answer any questions and provide photos or whatever in an effort to revive this unit.

Question is: What could be the cause of this? what parts should I order or what measures to take and this issue needs to be remediated quickly due to an Alaskan winter rapidly approaching.

Attaching the SM here and also providing a link to the SM ( https://www.lochinvar.com/lit/KB-SER-08.pdf )The current screen says "Setpoint met" and "Service Due" but no errors other than service due.

Any input, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,242

Well, we probably need more information, but… several clues and a couple of places to start looking.

First, you are still getting hot water, and therefore the boiler will and does run — when something tells it to run.

Now we need to go and figure out what tells the boiler to run for heat, and what transfers that heat to the baseboards.

Sorry, but the first question is… does your thermostat take batteries? And, if so, are they fresh?

Does anything happen on the system when you turn up the thermostat?

What makes the water from the boiler reach the baseboards? There must be a pump somewhere. Is there also a zone valve? In the simplest arrangements, the thermostat on the wall will either turn on the pump (usually with a relay) or will open the zone valve. Can you describe what you have along those lines? In systems with just a pump, sometimes the thermostat is wired directly to the boiler — or through a control board. Do you know what you have for that, and describe it for us? In systems with a zone valve, often the thermostat opens the zone valve, which in turn has contacts which turn on the boiler…

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    arcticpenguin
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,896

is it in outdoor reset?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    arcticpenguinSuperTech
  • arcticpenguin

here are some photos are other mentionable things. please excuse if some of this information is or seems non-relevant. I am just going to give as much info as i can.

before the sensor and igniter were replaced i had a construction contractor come over and talk about some projects, he noticed the exhaust coming out of the vent outside of the house and commented that the amount of exhaust seemed very excessive and expressed some concern. also, when the exhaust was expelled, sometimes we can hear a fairly loud noise that sounds like a whale sound / call or a very deep moaning sound for lack of a better descriptor. after replacing the two parts, that sound continued and the excessive amount of exhaust remained as well.

I just went down to look at the unit and take some photos and also look under the top panel. In the SM it says to check the fuses so I went to remove the top panel to look at the status of the fuses the boiler unit "kicked on" (for lack of a better term) and the message on the LCD immediately changed. maybe coincidental, idk. have a look at the photos…you'll see the message on the LCD change from "service due" and "setpoint met" to "BLR: SH"

I am starting to think it's a lost cause.

Is this house we have baseboard heating.

• arcticpenguin

thank you so much for this. I have added a post to this thread, including photos and other, possibly irrelevant, information..:-P

• Jamie Hall

The boiler changing its message the moment you touched it suggests another avenue to explore (or rabbit hole…): check — or have an electrician check — all your wiring related to the boiler, from the boiler right on back through the fuse box/circuit breakers to the electricity meter. Some controllers which your system may have are fussy about being properly grounded.

On the exhaust — what is "excessive exhaust"? Depending on temperature and humidity, you may see quite a bit of exhaust. The only way to find that out is to make sure that the air/fuel ratio is correct, and that takes a combustion analyser — which not every tech. knows how to use, or even has. Out of adjustment combustion can also account for odd sounds.

I notice a red pump in one of your pictures. When does it run? What is it pumping from and to?

I also notice a picture of a pump in what looks like a pan or sump of some kind. What does that do? (It looks like a sump pump to me…?)

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • arcticpenguin

so yes. the "sump" i believe is responsible for waste water? there are two red "pumps" attached to the copper pipes. One appears to be on the "inlet" and one affixed to the "outlet." the sump pump appears to be working…

i am sort of guessing it was coincidence that the unit kicked on when i touched the top panel as opposed to some rabbit hole electrical problem — thinking optimistically of course.

• arcticpenguin
    edited September 23
  • arcticpenguin

i'm not sure but thank you for your input. I hope it is something as simple as this sounds.

• arcticpenguin

i think am beginning to understand this….the flame will not necessarily stay lit, considering the "setpoint" has been met? it sounds like the issue might be with the red pump attached to the copper "outlet" pipe?

• JMWHVAC
    JMWHVAC Member Posts: 52

Apparently boiler runs but the hot water is not being moved to the radiators, hence the very quick temp spike after it lights. Either the circ, or a valve, or air lock is not permiting circulation.

arcticpenguin
  • Jamie Hall

Do either or both of the red pumps turn on when the thermostat is calling for heat? If only one, which one?

Do either of them turn on when calling for hot water?

Br. Jamie, osb
  • arcticpenguin

i would imagine the thermostat is always calling for heat. as they are set to 75 and its only 65 inside. i will check to see if i can analyze the functionality of the red pumps

thank you so much for all your wondering input..i'll check this out and respond after

• arcticpenguin

it doesn't appear the red pumps make any noise whatsoever.

• arcticpenguin
    edited September 23

testing things, looking at things and trying to understand the complexities of this system. I think i have located the copper pipe going to the baseboard heating. attaching a photo with explanation.

• arcticpenguin

testing things, looking at things and trying to understand the complexities of this system. I think i have located the copper pipe going to the baseboard heating. attaching a photo with explanation.

• arcticpenguin

maybe this red pump thing needs to be replaced??

• neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,767

I see a zone valve over the left circulator,

it should have a manual lever on it, and with it's thermostat calling, the lever should swing freely, side to side, that might prove power to that stat and valve,

the left circulator, use a long screwdriver, or wood dowel, handle to your ear, and tip to the circ, you might detect a whiring, compare to the lower circ,

try tapping / wrapping on the circ with the screwdiver handle, or dowel, not too hard, just some sharp wraps,

is it whirring now?

and you mentioned work in the house?

anything to do with the heating baseboards, an air blockage was suggested above, and can't be discounted,

I think you're looking for a flow issue

known to beat dead horses
    arcticpenguin
  • neilc
    edited September 23

nope, that's a transformer, go to the right,

similar size silver box mounted on the piping,

follow from the upper red circ, to the green valve handle above, to the right, the zone valve,

• arcticpenguin
  • arcticpenguin
  • neilc

that's a zone valve,

lever?

• arcticpenguin

yes i have identified the zone valve. and the red circ to the left of the valve is the one you speak of?

• neilc

sometimes pictures post in mirror image, left, right, left, , ,

that Honeywell silver box in your last picture,

I can see the lever under it hiding in the shadows, it's small and sticking out of the base of the silver box

arcticpenguin
  • neilc

yes, circ to the left of the zone valve,

is it even hot?

• neilc

and does the lever swing freely?

• arcticpenguin

the circ is not hot..and both valves..close easily

• arcticpenguin

yes the green lever handles both close easily on both side of the circ

• neilc

open the green valves(circulator isolation valves) back to the way they were,

look under the silver Honeywell zone valve, there's a small lever sticking down, does it swing back and forth in it's slot, look carefully

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,896

a rapid temperature increase suggests the system is not flowing

A defective pump, air lock in the boiler or piping

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    arcticpenguinGGross
  • neilc

could you tell if either circ is running?

you need someone there with a meter and knowledge to use it,

wrapp on the 2 circulators a bit, knock, knock, knack, carefully, at the base by the piping,

• arcticpenguin

Moves back and forth from auto to manual with ease

• neilc

ok, so you kinda know you have power holding the valve open,

now you need to make the circulators spin,

Do you see any air vents above the boiler? at the ceiling? or at the baseboard radiation?

• arcticpenguin

i have a meter and i know how to use it..just need to know what setting to put it on…=D

going to wrap on them now

• neilc

I feel like I'm helping you about to hurt yourself now,

what setting on the meter?

trace a circ wire back to it's controller, either read amps on a leg, or voltage at the terminal ends, this is 120 volts we're talking here,

can't you call a friend for help?

arcticpenguin