Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rest in Peace

Options
Mustangman
Mustangman Member Posts: 107

We lost a great HVAC man a few weeks ago. Jim and I worked together for many years. He was very talented constructing duct work, manufacturing lead roof flashings, any odd ball fitting you can imagine out of sheetmetal, he could make it. He was very good at making lead shower pans. His soldered joints were like they were painted on.

When I met Jim, I was fresh out of college. My gosh we had some fun times working together. He had a few years of field experience and I was just out of college so he was in charge when we were together. He was one of those guys who trouble finds quite often. We did a college together. The laborers on the job had to scaffold the inside to replace the windows. They found they could see the female shower room. At 9 AM all these guys climb up the ladder to get a peek, including Jim. Jim was a big guy probably 250 hikes up the scaffolding like he was 1/2 monkey. What all those guys didn't know… the girls turned them in a few days before. So all the sudden all these guys in suits were spotted heading our way. One was my boss. All the sudden everyone scrambles except Poor Jim who was the last one off the scaffold. That cost him a day off. That kind of stuff.. he was a magnet for small problems.

Jim did not get to enjoy retirement. He retired and within 2 weeks he had a massive heart attack and died. The older you get, you start seeing people you went to school with die. Really questions mortality.

Rest in peace my friend.

Steve

Mad Dog_2

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options

That's sad. After working all those years that he did not get time to enjoy any retirement. My condolences.

Just shows you can take nothing for granted.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,873
    Options

Rest in Peace Jim 🍺

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 911
    Options

Years ago, I had a friend who was a steam fitter that retired , had a small party at the shop, went home and sat on his "easy chair" and died. He did not even get to enjoy 1 day. Rest in peace.

• LRCCBJ
    LRCCBJ Member Posts: 137
    Options

Had a closing on a rental property at the office of my long time attorney on Friday April 5. We had not spent any time together of late so we decided to head to the local Italian place and reminisce about the past. Excellent food as always. Spent a couple of hours there. Really enjoyed seeing him again.

Monday morning he was dead. Passed away in his sleep. 59 years of age.

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    edited April 23
    Options

Condolences @Mustangman it happens often enough, doesn't it? I think everyone has a similar story.
    I don't know that I will ever retire fully. This home is my wife's domain so I wouldnt be welcome here. I'd be trespassing if I retired fully. Plus, she doesn't take constructive criticism very well. So, I'll either work myself to death or my wife will kill me. I'll live longer working.

But, I was thinking about it. After retiring, It would be the first time you can think of yourself as your own person rather than as so& so's kid, a student of some school, a mechanic, plumber, or employee of XYZ Co. That would be strange.

CLamb
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options

Retirement's great but remember that life is great. Enjoy each day, and don't wish your life away waiting for retirement.

Larry Weingarten
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options

Retirement hasn't been great for me. Having anxiety issues. If I keep busy i am a lot better, so maybe I have always been this way and never noticed because I was always working. Probably worked too much and too long retired at 66. Never turned down OT. Now my body is paying for it. But I just need to keep moving.

So I just painted the Bathroom and put in a new floor. Now re staining the kitchen cabinets, then a new countertop and new floor and an over the stove microwave. That should keep me busy for a while. Been retired almost 5 years. Go to the gym a lot.

Sometimes I think I don't have it so good but I am VERY fortunate. Some people don't make it to retirement. Have a relative that is 55. Was healthy as a horse except for a bad back until last year he has a brain tumor very aggressive. He probably doesn't have long to go.

No guarantees in this life. Make the most of it. That's what I am trying to do

PRR
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options

It is good to treat each day as a precious gift.

Retired and loving it.
    Mad Dog_2Larry Weingartenpecmsg
  • Mustangman
    Mustangman Member Posts: 107
    Options

Thank you guys for the comments. I currently am still working as a Project Manager and am 65 and could retire. Many years ago, I had a terrible back injury. I had 3 surgeries that failed so I have been living in pain for many years. 8 months ago I had to go look at a job. The water heater and boiler were jammed next to each other. I had to lay down to get what I needed. I twisted and heard a snap. The pain has been as bad as I ever had. After waiting 5 months to get on Medicare so I didn't have to fork out 10K. I had tests done and the bottom line is my back is totally shot.. 5 levels they want to fuse. I had a 3 level done years ago and it was a nightmare. Kept falling. Now they want to do a 5 level fusion. I saw the test results and seriously it is so bad I went in the restroom and to be honest, it made me cry. I am going to pain management. Its been 3 weeks and the pain is worse. My point is, it is very easy to get down on life. You men and your comments made me realize that yes I am dealing with a lot of pain, but I have a wonderful wife ( Sometimes ) 2 boys one who followed in my foot steps and is a plumbing instructor at a womens prison. The other son is doing well too. He works for the fed prison system. I have 3 awesome German Shepherds 2 of which adore me. So sitting here, I am far from pain free but I have a good life. Thanks guys for reminding me that life is good and too short, so enjoy it. So thank you men for your comments. The timing was perfect. Its been a painful morning and I needed to hear what you guys had to say. This is the truth.. before I read the comments above, I was going to give my retirement notice today. Now, I am going to hold off. The comments from SlamDunk hit home too. I do enjoy what I do so I'm going to tough it out until pain management is done with ablasions. The plan is to buy some time and keep praying.

Thanks guys

Steve

SlamDunkLarry WeingartenCLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,049
    Options

Rest in peace Brother Jimmy! I hear this all the time, especially with tradesfolk...They go go go, then they retire and stop...It's not good. That's why I'll never fully "retire." Avoid a massive coronary...don't retire. Sorry for your loss. Mad Dog

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,315
    Options

@Mustangman and @LRCCBJ, I'm sorry you both lost close friends this month, especially so suddenly. I know firsthand how tough that is. Thanks for sharing your memories of them with us.

And @Mustangman, your back injury sounds painful and frustrating. I'm sorry you're going through that. I'm glad you're surrounded by loved ones at home and friends here to help you through.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

LRCCBJMad Dog_2EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,208
    Options

Sorry about your buddy, it sounds like he accomplished a lot in his lifetime,

Take care of yourself, stay out of the news👌

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited April 25
    Options

Heredity, lifestyle and a bit of luck. A long life can be a godsend or a curse. I throw the dice every morning I get out of bed. With the way people drive these days, I don’t have long.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    SlamDunkMikeAmann
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options

My Grandmother, Ethel, when she'd see friends languishing in nursing homes and suffering with Alzheimers would say: "Some people live too long." It sounds harsh, but I agree. Grandma was showing grandkids how to do a cartwheel one day, stroke and died 3 days later. Coming out of the Great Depression and all she endured, she had a great run...and she knew it. Mad Dog

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options

Sadly enough most never get to retire and enjoy the fruits of there years of labor . i ve known far to many whom i ve respected and learned valuable lesson on both sides, work and life skills some of which i wish i had taken more advantage of at the time but was young and foolish .Each one of them i learned from and usually when working some will always come to mind and in my thoughts there's things i do on every job that's a homage to them being thats how they would have done it ,all where masters in there realm of work and all major old timers who took no bs and where proud to be americans and where of the greatest generation all of which gave so much of themself for us today . Not a day goes by that i do not think of all the gentlemen i 've worked with and what they explained and taught me over my early years all of which i i see as a gift that they gave me . Now a days i dont see much of it being everybody just hits the internet and becomes a genius or expert ,i miss those old days of thumbing through paper manuals and reading instruction and then consulting a expeirenced old timer for some much sought after words of wisdom or just some moral support . now the old timer is the internet

Sorry for you loss

peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Mad Dog_2
    Options

The way I look at it, is, if you love what you do, why stop? Doesn't mean you have to still hump Weil Mc Lain 88 Sections out of the basement..just readadjust and take your rightful place at the Table. Mad Dog

LRCCBJ