Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

When did the manuals get so long?

Options
RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,507
I am seeing a disturbing trend in the industry where the IOM manuals seem to be growing exponentially. It used to be you would get a short booklet and that was your guide to installing the equipment. Now they are at least 100 pages long. As a writer, I appreciate it but as a service tech, I hate it. You have to go through the entire manual to get the answer to the question you have and dont you dare skip past because they hide little traps in the book. I was helping a friend on his wall mounted boiler that was rated for a 199,000 Btuh. The manual was over 150 pages long This is longer than the manual for 5 million BTUH high pressure steam boiler. And good luck if you are connecting the new boiler to the buildings control system. That's another 200 page book. Do we really need 150 pages to explain a wall mounted residential boiler? Thanks for allowing me to vent.
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    Options

It helps having it in digital format and then searching for keywords.
    SylvainEdTheHeaterMan
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 859
    Options
    I think there are a few reasons. I suspect the installation manuals for condensing boilers have so many pages due to the venting requirements and the piping requirements. Recently I noticed almost twenty pages dedicated to venting and fresh air. Perhaps the manufacturer hopes we will read there manuals if they keep adding extra pages?

Another reason installation manuals have gotten much larger is they often include multiple languages in one document. For example, I purchased a relatively simple watch I use when exploring the outdoors. The manual is twelve pages long, eleven pages were not written in English.
    CLamb
  • Karl Reynolds
    Karl Reynolds Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Danger, Warning, Caution! Half of a boiler manual are these paragraphs.
  • Sylvain
    Sylvain Member Posts: 144
    Options
    About the maual you speak about, I hope there is a good table of content and an index.

Now there is a difference between a user manual, a reference manual and a training manual.

The worst thing I had was a buetoth speaker (from a reputable brand) with nearly no explanation on a small piece of paper but a link to get a user manual. Except that, when typing the link, what you get is ... an electronic copy of the same little paper.

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,060
    Options
    It really bothers me most when you have a 150 page install/service manual, an 85 page operating manual, a 300 page venting supplement, another couple of little pamphlets for good measure, and they still leave out a critical piece of brand specific information. Some things that help me, Being familiar with a few select brands you install helps a ton, procuring digital copies of the manual, and using CTRL+F to search for specifics, then printing those pages separate for easier reference. Not always possible when you are the guy in field

I think it boils down to a combination of things. DIY and unqualified people installing more equipment, so you have to include everything imaginable even if it is common sense. People want a dossier of piping diagrams so you get 10-20 pages of the same basic principles repeated for different system configs. And last but not least extensive CYA legal stuff, because anytime someone does something stupid, legally the manufacturers are held responsible, so they have to print a million warnings in their book that everyone just disregards anyway
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options

@dko That does help I agree

@ScottSecor LOl Thats true

@Karl Reynolds So true and they hide them in the manual so you have to read it

@Sylvain There was. Thanks Im just venting

@GGross Never thought about the DIYer That makes sense

Thanks all for allowing me to vent

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    GGross
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 287
    Options

Same thing is happening with construction plans. We were working on a control retrofit of a building done in 1992. Two story approximately 40,000 total square feet and the hand drawn mechanical plans were 6 pages long and had everything needed for ductwork (including offsets under beams), chilled water, heating, boiler and chiller plant, air handlers and exhaust fans. There weren’t any detail drawings that didn’t apply to the job. Today I bet it would be at least 20 pages with a bunch of details that don’t apply.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,704
    Options

There are lots of professionals that know nothing about boilers installing them too as we constantly see here.

I think the main problem is that good technical writers cost money and there is an obsession with doing everything possible to avoid spending money in producing a product now.

As for the plans, if we don't detail out every way you could half **** something when building it we get it half ****. Of course most of the time we still get it half **** in the way we specified not to anyhow.

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,050
    Options

It's to defer blame & Liability on the installer. Mad Dog

SlamDunk
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,573
    Options

I have a 2022 Hyundai Santa FE.

MY GF drives it. I have a 2007 F-150 6cyl, 5 speed stripped with crank windows and am perfectly content driving that

The Hyundai has a back up camera, navigation etc.

I can get in it and drive it but don't ask me what half the buttons are for

The Manual (I think there are 2 or 3 of them) is too thick to read.

What they are doing with cars is crazy. Interference engines so if you lose a timing chain and the engine goes out of time the piston will hit the valves and you have a crashed engine.

If you want some chuckles sometime go to U tube and watch "South Main Auto Repair". They guy is pretty dam good with car wiring and computers.

A recent video was a 2012 Chevy Impala where the car couldn't start due to a dead battery. He gets most of his work from other shops and dealers who can't fix the problem.

Long story short he finds out that the "radio module" which is separate from the radio is draining the battery.

Not a simple fix as the radio controls the blue tooth and a myraid of other controls. He disconnected the 12v to the module and the problem stopped. Gave the car to the customer and they drove it for two weeks with no issue (except no radio and a few other things dependent on that module)

GMs answer is "buy a new car" module unavailable and not supported. He called two radio guys that GM uses and one told him the same thing.

The second guy told him get a module at the junk yard and send me the module and the vin# of the car your putting it in. If you put the module in without changing the vin the car will not run.

All fixed now.

• mattmia2
    Options

The module is part of the anti theft system, very difficult to start without the key and its cryptographic information. It is why cars very rarely get stolen in most markets now.

Interference engines have been around for decades. Usually only a problem if it has a timing belt and you ignore the replacement interval for the belt.

• Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 143
    edited April 22
    Options

It's the legal boiler plate and government regulatory stuff. Lawyers want to warn you about every possibility so the company won't get sued. Thank God for QR codes. As @dko said: that way you can digitally search for the stuff you really need to install the boiler.

And @EBEBRATT-Ed. I have a Hyundai Santa FE and, boy, are they chatty. All your driving habits (speed, lane discipline, etc.), as well as your phone contacts and music preference (if you authorize it by allowing remote engine start) go right into Hyundai's servers to sell to insurance companies and other marketers. I have a standing offer on Freelancer.com to find someone to disable that garbage on an otherwise nice car.

Mad Dog_2mattmia2EdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options

@Wellness

I have herd that about Hyundai

THE SPYS ARE OUT AND THEY ARE LISTENING!!

When I am driving my truck I tend to put my cell on Bluetooth and listen to U tube music or videos. They have commercials between videos sometimes.

I drove to Home Depot listening to You tube the other day. I don't remember what I bought that trip (Using my HD credit card) but when I got back to my truck and fired up u tube on came a commercial for what I had just bought.

It struck me really odd because I had never heard that product advertised on utube before.

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,981
    Options

@RayWohlfarth What I have found equally annoying besides looking through some of the incredibly long manuals is not finding the answer. After all of that searching and the answer is not there. Then having to call tech support to get to the bottom of a problem. Not to mention the lousy on hold music.

CLamb
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 143
    Options

@EBEBRATT-Ed. Yeah, at checkout HD used to ask me whether I wanted my receipt printed or emailed. Now that they track customer credit cards and have implemented facial recognition…

they don't ask any more.

Intplm.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options

Failure to Warn litigation is the hottest area in law. It relies on subjective information, sensibilities and emotions. When you do a job, if you don't document out the whazoo and there is an Oops!, the plaintiff's lawyers will have dozens of kids pouring over every word of every manual, code, standard, and ordinance to find where you committed a breach of duty. This is a transfer of liability from the mfr. to you, the sucker at the end of the line. That includes the sucker service tech who follows you and assumes much of your risk(not all). When you fail to read and follow every word of every std., there is an assumption of risk on your part. Documentation and warnings gets you out of the party sooner and cheaper. You'll still be in the room with the briefcases, suites and ties, but good SOPs, supervision, post-work Q/A inspections, metrics, and training get you out quickly.

Do good work, then document what you do. Make good choices. Get certifications and training to know what good choices look like. Attend workshops.

Remember those kids reviewing the case files? They have months to pour over your case with a microscope. They can look up references, call in SME's, or any other resources they need and it's all billable. You have minutes wrapping up a service call or installation to document. It's a stacked deck against you. To make it worse, you are not only fighting the boss- you're fighting the clock. That's where training and education on proper documentation, proper forms and procedures can reasonably cover you and minimize risk.

Everyone wants mfrs. to filter out the essential information from these manuals. Due to lawyers, the whole document is now essential. If you're ever deposed, I can assure you that's going to be a question. They're goign to ask if you read ALL the relevant instructions to trip you up. They're going to ask if you always read everything. They may ever ask if its company policy. It should be. Yes, employers have to pay employees for a lot of reading and documentation time. It's the world we live in.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,915
    Options

You did not mention the INSTALLATION manual. You got to get it installed before you can use the USER manual to use it. you also need it installed to service it with the TRAINING manual, and if you can't REFERENCE anything if it is not installed.

Weil McLain came out with the new ultra gas boiler in the mid 2000s. it had a 60 page I/O manual. Lots of detail about how to program the new control. then in 2010 they came out with the revised control manual with more detail in ti that was over 60 pages. That is because Honeywell didn't tell them everything about the control that WM purchased from them. There were codes and messages that the Technical folks at WM didn't know how to solve, so they called Honeywell and got the rest of the information about it. So much was held back from WM that when Honeywell released the new data dump, WM needed to print a revised 2010 manual and control supplement.

Their latest offering has 180 page I/O manual.

Now you will need to add an extra 4 hours to every job just to read the manual. And you still get it wrong on the first 6 you install….. LOL. By the time you get used to all the mistakes, and are comfortable with a product, they will put out a new piece of equipment that is nothing like the one you just got used to installing.

Glad I'm retired

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ScottSecorGGross
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,373
    Options

And after all that… who reads the manuals anyway? A lot of people don't. Even simple ones. There is an attitude of plug and play, and if it doesn't work it's the manufacturer's fault.

Ran into an amusing one myself just recently. A rather simple outdoor weather station — the kind which has a contraption outside and sends the information to an inside readout. Don't know why, but I did. The manual is actually commendably simple — but there is a paragraph in there about removing a shipping lock and another one about making sure the outside widget was level. Looking back on the reviews on line, it became quickly apparent that all of the negative reviews related to problems caused by not removing the shipping lock or not levelling the widget. Real men don't read directions?

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CLamb
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options

LOL Im glad im not the only one. I think they make it so complicated that you are forced to use only one brand. If you consider another, you are forced the read the 100 page manual

@EdTheHeaterMan LOl had one of those boilers too

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • RayWohlfarth
    Options

@Bob Harper So true

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options

First electrical code book I tangled with was 1978. The book was like 1 1/2" thick and was maybe 8" x 5"

Now it's about 2" thick and is larger than 8 1/2 x 11.

And in an effort to keep the size down now they shrunk the print so you need a magnifying glass to read it.

Some of it is for stupid things like they guy that mounted a breaker panel in the ceiling. Why? because the code didn't say you couldn't.

Other things are more legit. They didn't have solar or car chargers or led lights back then.

But the code making panel used to be run by people who had common sense and knew the code was the minimum standard.

The he code making panels have been bought off and persuaded by the manufacturers who come out with arc fault breakers that won't work with some new appliances that have electronics…….and plenty of other garbage.

• PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 151
    Options

First electrical code book I tangled with was 1978. The book was like 1 1/2" thick and was maybe 8" x 5"

I keep a 1925 NEC next to the fusebox "for emergency use only". I know it is under 3/4" thick and 3.5" wide (truly pocket size) because I housed it like a fire alarm pull in a repurposed PC drive enclosure with "glass" panel.

• RayWohlfarth
    Options

I hate that the font is getting smaller too. I received a letter from my insurance company asking to audit my payroll, something they do every year. The font was so small, I couldn't read it with a magnifying glass. I had to scan and expand it my screen. I think there should be a law saying the smaller font allowed is 10

Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Intplm.
  • Sylvain
    Sylvain Member Posts: 144
    edited April 24
    Options

"I think there should be a law saying the smaller font allowed is 10"

(why did they change the quote function here?)

That and no printing in pale grey on a yellow background.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    Options

Is the Font getting smaller or our eyes getting older. Before my wife passed, I asked her if my clothes were shrinking in the laundry. You KNOW what her reply was…..

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

mattmia2
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,323
    Options

(why did they change the quote function here?)

@Erin Holohan Haskell had her IT Department upgrade the software.

The old editor allowed partial quoting. It was possible to respond to pertinent details that were buried within a mass of blah, blah, blah. It was also possible to misquote people, and quote out of context. Maybe the new editor is designed to prevent that?

The old editor was not WYSIWYG, so there was a "Preview" button. I see that is gone now.

There is probably a manual for the new editor somewhere but like the topic of this discussion, is the manual helpful?

I love change. NOT! Think I'll go out for a joy ride in my 24 year old V8 car and turn dinosaur juice into CO2. It's good for the plants.

I DIY.
    Intplm.
  • WMno57
    Options

https://heatinghelp.com/forum-user-manual/

When you use this feature, the entire quote will move to your post. If
    you want, you can delete part of the quote manually so that only the
    part that’s important to your comment appears.

I can't figure out how to do that with the new editor

I DIY.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 607
    edited April 24
    Options

One of our business' website was sued for not being ADA compliant. Has to be screen reader software friendly for the legally blind among other things. https://www.accessibilitychecker.org/ shows heatinghelp.com at risk of lawsuits. Don't know how accurate that check is or just fear mongering, but one thing for sure is that there are people going around filing lawsuits at every website they can find. I looked the guy up that filed for our website and he had plenty of other similar cases pending.

Can probably sue your insurance company for lack of effective communication per ADA. That'll get them to increase the font size!! Land of the lawsuits.

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,313
    Options

Thanks @WMno57. Yes, we upgraded the text box. We were on an older version that was no longer supported and was having some glitches. This version fixes a bunch of issues we were running into. And thanks for pointing out that typo in our user guide. I've fixed it. You can no longer edit quotes, but they are less glitchy than the previous version we were working with which wasn't formatting quotes within quotes correctly.

@dko, I recently attended a seminar on ADA compliance during a tech conference and we are working on getting the site up to speed with this. Thanks!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    Options

I noticed the quotes within quotes thing.

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 24
    Options

@Erin Holohan Haskell

" @dko, I recently attended a seminar on ADA compliance during a tech conference and we are working on getting the site up to speed with this. Thanks! "

Good to know you are taking care of us handicap users. Soon it will be easier to get to these comments from my wheelchair!

You Guys Rock!

https://makeagif.com/gif/lady-wheelchair-escalator-11-13-Z3JTwg?position=4

Edward Young Retired

Erin Holohan Haskell
  • WMno57
    edited April 24
    Options

@EdTheHeaterMan Wishing you many more years of burning rubber.

Rep. LaFave talks about House passage Tuesday of his legislation that
    updates the sign designating disabled parking areas to a more modern
    image that conveys motion and action.

https://gophouse.org/posts/rep-beau-lafave-r-iron-mountain-audio-on-house-passage-of

I DIY.
  • WMno57
    edited April 24
    Options

@EBEBRATT-Ed and @Sylvain

edit: @Wellness sorry, I just now realized you brought up car data sharing, not Sylvain.

How to turn off some data sharing on GM vehicles.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/03/how-to-opt-out-of-gm-sharing-your-driving-data-with-insurance-companies/

I DIY.
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    edited April 24
    Options

Funny story, a co-worker and I was working the midnight shift and we had to replace the captain's sliding glass window on an MD-80. It weighs about 80 pounds. I printed the ten pages of instructions from the mainteance manual from a microfiche and handed it to my buddy was sitting in the captain's seat. He looks at the paper and goes "blah, blah,blah, who has time to read ten pages?" and tosses it over his shoulder. The old window came out in two seconds but the new one wouldnt go in at all. Seven hours later, the sun is rising and it was near departure time. My friend picks up the paper, reads it twice, looks at me and says, "Oh.". Turns around, picks up the window and installs it correctly. Two seconds. He looks at me and said, " I guess there is always time to read the manual after you **** up.".

WMno57CLamb
  • WMno57
    Options

Erin said "I recently attended a seminar on ADA compliance during a tech
    conference and we are working on getting the site up to speed with this."

I think it's great you are working on this. Not sure if you are at risk of getting sued though. Depends on if HeatingHelp is "open to the public" or not.

https://www.ada.gov/resources/web-guidance/#when-the-ada-requires-web-content-to-be-accessible

Businesses that are open to the public (Title III)

Title III prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities
    by businesses open to the public (also referred to as “public
    accommodations” under the ADA). The ADA requires that businesses open to
    the public provide full and equal enjoyment of their goods, services,
    facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations to people with
    disabilities. Businesses open to the public must take steps to provide
    appropriate communication aids and services (often called “auxiliary
    aids and services”) where necessary to make sure they effectively
    communicate with individuals with disabilities. For example,
    communication aids and services can include interpreters, notetakers,
    captions, or assistive listening devices. Examples of businesses open
    to the public:

• Retail stores and other sales or retail establishments;
    • Banks;
    • Hotels, inns, and motels;
    • Hospitals and medical offices;
    • Food and drink establishments; and
    • Auditoriums, theaters, and sports arenas.

A website with inaccessible features can limit the ability of people
    with disabilities to access a public accommodation’s goods, services,
    and privileges available through that website—for example, a veterans’
    service organization event registration form.

I DIY.