Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smoke detector that shuts power off

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
Is there an off the shelf solution with a smoke detector that will shut off a circuit or even an outlet, like a piggy-black plug?

Curious what's out there as I'd like something for use with 3d printers (120V 15A) in case something elephant foots while I'm not there.

I'd rather something very smoke sensitive, like an Ionization smoke detector rather than heat triggered.
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The typical interconnected smoke det has a 3rd wire to activate the rest of the connected detectors.

I have never measured the voltage of that red wire when in alarm....never needed to.

It could energize a SPDT relay to open the NC contacts.

Just be cautious of the load of the 3-d for the contacts.

Maybe you want the PE smoke detector, thought to be better/quicker than the ion ?
    ZmanMikeAmann
  • ChrisJ
    JUGHNE said:

The typical interconnected smoke det has a 3rd wire to activate the rest of the connected detectors.

I have never measured the voltage of that red wire when in alarm....never needed to.

It could energize a SPDT relay to open the NC contacts.

Just be cautious of the load of the 3-d for the contacts.

Maybe you want the PE smoke detector, thought to be better/quicker than the ion ?

In my experience PE is much less sensitive than ion.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    Ion were less money so were the common install.

Never looked into the PE.....but wait....no Radioactive parts!!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    There are detectors for integration with alarm systems with dry contact outputs that could trigger a contactor or sequencer.
  • ChrisJ
    https://support.firstalert.com/s/article/rm4

Looks like they make an RM4 relay that can do this.
    Though I wish it was rated 20A.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    You should probably trigger a sequencer or stack of sequencers if your load is anywhere near 15 a anyhow.

I'm not sure if cutting the power is going to make a huge difference by the time enough plastic is burning to trigger the smoke detector.
  • dko
    dko Member Posts: 575
    Have you seen this one?

Made with 3D printer in mind

https://dockingdrawer.com/products/safety-interlock-outlet-with-smoke-and-heat-sensor?variant=40449767505963

Though the smoke sensor isn't UL listed
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    Try an Ansul Hood system, it has electric dry contacts if activated. ;)
  • ChrisJ
    dko said:

Have you seen this one?

Made with 3D printer in mind

https://dockingdrawer.com/products/safety-interlock-outlet-with-smoke-and-heat-sensor?variant=40449767505963

Though the smoke sensor isn't UL listed

My other concern is the TR receptacle looks extremely cheesy.
    No need to worry about the printer causing a fire if the outlet can do it for me. :D
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2023
    mattmia2 said:

You should probably trigger a sequencer or stack of sequencers if your load is anywhere near 15 a anyhow.

I'm not sure if cutting the power is going to make a huge difference by the time enough plastic is burning to trigger the smoke detector.

With how sensitive an ionizing smoke is directly over the printer, it would probably do a lot of good. I'd expect it to self extinguish if caught soon enough. Of course, I could be completely crazy too, but that's what I think right now.