Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a contractor who works in Philadelphia

Klaas
Klaas Member Posts: 8
I've got a 1-pipe gas-fired steam system in my row house in Mt. Airy. It was noisy and super-slow for a while after we moved in, then stopped working, and I found someone who came out and charged me a pretty penny to do, as it turned out, nothing useful. After that I found this place, read Lost Art, and got excited about the art and science of steam heat, so I've been doing my own repairs and maintenance since then. But now we're selling the place, and the buyers want an inspection by an actual professional. Which seems reasonable--the boiler is actually getting to be on the older side--and if I find someone decent to come have a look at it, then they'll have that person as a resource for when it needs more attention in the future.

But I'm having trouble finding anyone who fits the bill. I called the two places that come up in the "Find a contractor" search (S D Hansell and Pompetti), and they seem like good folk but they don't work in Philadelphia. Other than that I know of some larger companies who would probably be willing to come, but I don't have any way to know whether they'd send someone who knows what they're talking about, steam-wise.

So yeah, my question is: Does anyone know a good steam tech who will work on a residential system in NW Philadelphia?

Comments

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    You need Frank Steamhead Wilsey & his partner Gordo out of Baltimore.  Its well worth it to have Steamhead out for a Consult to spec out what you need...If its too far for them, take his specs to your local plumber to follow.  I do this all the time up North here a bit in NY.  You can do no better...trust me.  Mad Dog  🐕 🤣 
    mattmia2
  • Joe107
    Joe107 Member Posts: 23
    I'm certainly not the resource for recommendations but here are two locally you may want to contact. Neither is in the city. Luke Weidemann out of Rockledge and Rex Plumbing in Erdenheim. Both have been in business for years but no idea if the older guys are still working. If they can't help you maybe they know who can.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Mad Dog_2 said:

You need Frank Steamhead Wilsey & his partner Gordo out of Baltimore.  Its well worth it to have Steamhead out for a Consult to spec out what you need...If its too far for them, take his specs to your local plumber to follow.  I do this all the time up North here a bit in NY.  You can do no better...trust me.  Mad Dog  🐕 🤣 

If @Gordo or @Steamhead will work in your area go with one of them. @STEVEusaPA might know someone too.
  • Mad Dog_2
    So.  KLAAS who ya get?  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • dthewett
    dthewett Member Posts: 10
    I'm in West Mt. Airy and have a single pipe steam system. I have two recommendations:

Brian Eckenrode Plumbing and Heating is in Mt. Airy and has done great work on my single pipe steam system. Highly sought after in the neighborhood, may be hard to schedule.

The previous owner of my house used S&H Heating and Air out of Hatboro. They definitely have people who know steam. I used them when we first moved in and recommend them, too. http://shheatingair.com/index.php
    Klaas
  • Mad Dog_2
    I'd wait for the guy.  Get in his list.  Mad Dog 🐕 
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    https://www.ftyoung.com/wp/wp-content/cache/page_enhanced/www.ftyoung.com/contact-us/_index.html_gzip
    My brother. I don't talk to him anymore, but he is pretty knowledgable on most things HVAC. Not sure how good he is on steam though.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Where I come from it's the buyer who finds the inspector
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    pecmsg
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

Where I come from it's the buyer who finds the inspector

and what in the hell does a building inspector know about HVAC........Especially Steam?