Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basement laundry chute Idea

JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
During my basement bath remodel(more like complete total tear out and rebuild) I have been struggling with what to do with the laundry chute that goes right next to where the bathroom door is. Wife says get rid of it because we never use it. I argue we never use it because it's not set up well. 

So this is my idea to make it pretty, and perhaps a bit more functional. I'm even thinking of buying a second one and putting it directly below it. Even if we still don't use the chute it would make for a really nice linen closet. Also hold the comments on my amateur framing and eletrical. 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,737
    edited January 2023
    My son did a remodel and just moved the washer and dryer to the second floor. that is where 90% of the laundry is generated, Bed linens, clothes changing, bathroom towels, all get generated on the second floor. The occasional kitchen wash rag or towel can easily be tossed up the steps when that needs the laundry treatment.

Then your lovely partner need not go up and down the steps to make laundry day happen.

your cabinet idea looks great though. Just make sure you duct off anyplace that socks can hide. God knows that the clothes dryer eats enough of them.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    JakeCK
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    And the framing and electrical looks good!
    Zmanmattmia2
  • JakeCK
    I would love upstairs laundry. I even drew up my floor plan and played around with it to see if I could make it work. There isn't space short of robbing it from one of the bedrooms. Even the mechanicals wouldn't be to difficult to work in and I could probably even manage it without having to rip apart half the house but the space just doesn't work. 

It's too bad too because when the wife saw me playing with the plans she got excited. Lol
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,028
    Shoot, that looks great!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    I've looked into the heat pump dryers, the good ones are still too small. The only 7cuft one is a pita to get to the coils from what I read. 

No matter what I would have to steal sq footage from a bedroom.

Here is this houses floor plan:

WMno57CLamb
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,832
    Its the one thing I regret that I didn't just override Barbara on and do anyway.  NOW she agrees!   Even with the smaller rooms of this Country Victorian, and the fact that the basement laundry room doesn't line up with the top floor bathroom or anything else, (The kitchen is a large open floor plan over the laundry room, so you'd have the chute coming down in the middle of the room.)   I still wish I would have run a chute from anywhere on top floor to "who cares" in the basement.    The other small regret I have is that I didn't run a large copper express rider to the top floor and install a Fire Sandpiper with coiled smaller Guage 🔥 fire hose.  I saw a good customer and friend if mine, Pat Lyons do this about a year after I closed the walls.  Atleast I had my Silver-brazed copper fire sprinkler system throughout the home!  Mad 🐕 Dog
  • JakeCK
    edited February 2023
    Now I just need to figure out the best way to trim it out and to close off the gap between the chute and cabinet. Might see if I can get some sheet metal.

Also have to fix the drywall. Got a little messed up while cutting it.

• JakeCK
    edited February 2023
    Don't feel like making another topic for this, figured this is a good enough spot.

Rate my work:

Still need another coat of sealer/primer around the shower, and to finish off with two coats of the actual paint(although I did get really good coverage with the first coat in the rest of the bathroom). And still need to do the floor. I've been calling around to get estimates on tile. I was just going to do a floor leveler and vinyl flooring my self but I'm really liking the idea of a nice tile with a tile baseboard. Also I'm going with a shower curtain. I've had shower doors in the past and i've always found them to be a pita to clean. Curtains I can just wash or replace. Plus a door swinging would would probably hit the toilet. Of course the trim is not done yet around the built in lining closet/laundry chute and around the door.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    In order to rate your work I need some decent pictures first.

From the ones you supplied it looks like a plastic model that someone left out in the sun all summer.
    I'm actually being series, come on, give us some quality pictures!

@JohnNY help this guy out.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JakeCK

Nicest vanity mirror in the house. 
  • JakeCK
    Quality pictures of what exactly? It is four walls with some plumbing and electrical and a plastic shower. Basement bathroom. 
  • JakeCK
    About as good of a picture that you're going to get with my phone. Lol I have not caulked around the surround yet because I haven't finished painting. 

mattmia2Larry Weingarten
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,577
    Laundry equipment does much better on the concrete floor than on the wood framing. Putting it in the basement makes it a lot quieter.
    JakeCKCanucker