Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler.

may7day
may7day Member Posts: 17
Hello to everyone here. I currently have an Embassy Onex OX-160C Gas Combination Condensing Boiler that came with the house when I purchased it in 2016. The boiler is definitely on its last legs. It currently has 1 zone. My home is a split level that has a decent size living room , dining room and kitchen. I have 3 bedrooms and a den area. Each floor is separated by about 7-8 stairs. I also have baseboard heating throughout the home. I would like to get some recommendations of my next Combi boiler and I would love to add additional zone to split living room and den as zone 1. 3 bedrooms as zone 2. lastly I would like to add zone 3 in the basement. Awaiting on your responses. Thank you!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The key is to find a good HYDRONIC contractor and let him evaluate your situation.

I would advise you to stay clear of combi boilers and use a heating boiler with an indirect water heater.

Try the contractor locator above.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • may7day
    I have limited space and require the wall combi boiler,
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    May7, can I ask where are you located ?
  • may7day
    Long Island NY
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Hi May-Day.  Only 6 years old and its on its last legs?  Thats a pretty bad track record!  . Can u post pics?  I too, am on The Island 🏝.   .  Here to help.   Mad Dog. 
    Long Beach EdGreening
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I have and still work on these. They have parts still around. the Mfg Rep is on LI.
    may7day
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,022
    My recommendation for equipment is to always go with something that has local support, and that the installer has faith in. Don't ask a cast-iron only guy to install a combi condensing boiler, and don't get stuck on a brand name when no installer you talk to wants to install that brand, or there is not a local source for all parts available. I know this doesn't help a great deal, but there are several good brands for condensing combi boilers right now. Viessmann, Lochinvar, Triangle Tube have been in the condensing game in the US for a long time and are likely all here to stay.
    may7dayLong Beach EdBigBigEd
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @may7day

PM @Mad Dog_2 or @JohnNY

You won't get anyone better
    Long Beach Ed
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,823
    Hi May-Day. Only 6 years old and its on its last legs? Thats a pretty bad track record! . Can u post pics? I too, am on The Island 🏝. . Here to help. Mad Dog.

I read it as the boiler was installed prior to the 2016 purchase. So at least 6 years old.
    JUGHNE
  • may7day
    I have been in the house since 2016. The boiler was installed years before I bought the house. The supplier is in Melville and they have the parts.
  • may7day
    MY Boiler Condition. I know its in bad shape but I'm trying to learn.
  • kcopp
    I have seen worse...
    I see the expansion tank blew at some point. They added one to the piping. a bit unorthodox connection to say the least.
    Is it working?
    Is it throwing any error codes?
    The big thing to watch out for is a plugged condensate trap and keeping any connections from leaking.
    That boiler has a good amount of connections inside.

• may7day
    Lol expansion tank I did it myself 2 days ago. No error code. Works fine now but the pressure reaches 28-29 psi and i get alot of water leaking from the pressure valve. About 4 gallons per 2-3 hours. Thats the part I cant figure out at this moment 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    edited January 2023
    That is way too much water. Shouldn't be any. If the cold pressure is even close go normal -- around 15 psi -- the expansion tank simply isn't doing the job. It is possible it is much too small, but I'd double check it. Isolate it from the system if you can (otherwise you are going to have to drain the system, which is a pain) and empty all the water out of it. Then precharge it with air to your desired system pressure and make sure it holds pressure. Then reconnect it to the system.

I have always recommended that if a pressure relief valve is leaking after it has once operated, it should be replaced -- but sometimes you can persuade it to stop leaking by opening it full and then letting it snap closed against normal pressure.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcoppIronman
  • may7day
    edited January 2023
    I put an isolation valve by the tank, which I can use. In regards to the presure valve that was replaced sometime 13-14 months ago. I guess I need to buy another one and repalce it. The pressure always hovers close to 28-29 on a consistent basis. I have a bucket underneath the system and a pump that pumps the water out to my laundry room sink. I had zero leaks last year but now I CANT pin point why im leaking like crazy. Since I installed the expansion tank im also hearing a ringing noise that occasionally shows up for a few seconds. Something tells me this is a pressure issue. 
  • may7day
    I monitor the boiler via a camera and once the bucket fills I have a remote switch that I activate and the pump kicks in.
    gmcinnesHVACNUTSuperTech
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    @may7day, MacGyver would be so proud.

I'm not familiar with those boilers, but it's seem there's a reason the manufacturer put the expansion tank in the boiler. Yours mounted outside might not be effective. 

I've done many jobs on the Island (mostly Levitt on slab homes) where we relocated the boiler from the kitchen to the garage. If it's in the budget, it can be done. 
  • kcopp
    Installing it outside the boiler is fine. I have done this many times w/ this boiler. I just keep the old one in place as it has a odd ball connection inside the jacket.
    The reason they have it inside is it's an Italian Cosmogas boiler designed to be in a kitchen where space is at a premium.
    The replacement flat tanks that go inside are very pricey.
    A std tank installed on the return is a simple solution.
    GGrossWMno57
  • may7day
    Its close to $200 with tax for the small tank inside. My pressure is outta wack and I'm hearing cracking sounds on the pipes once in a while for a few seconds. I bled the system but it still persists.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Shut off the feed valve and keep watching. It could be bypassing. Or there's an internal leak in the boiler. Or the new extrol has a broken bladder or not charged correctly. 
  • kcopp
    There are 2 bleed places,
    One on the side of the tank on the bottom. (about 7:00) twist that and air will come out.
    The other is a Hy-vent on the top of the boiler. Not uncommon for that to get mucked up.
  • may7day
    I bled those 2 out. Pipes are cracking and super annoying. There could be a leak back from the fill valve that’s making whooshing sounds 
  • may7day
    Could this be the culprit of the cracking pipe sound? Should I upgrade it to what I’m showing? It doesn’t have a backflow preventer now.
  • kcopp
    The air sound it most likely due to the fact you dont have any true way of air removal. No Air scoop or air separator. The fill valve just adds water from time to time.

• may7day
    edited January 2023
    I’ve never had that problem in 7 years of having the house. It only started this year (2023). What do you recommend I do?
  • may7day
    The culprit of the pipes cracking like crazy was the expansion tank addition. Once I turned it off the cracking went away. I wonder how I can implement it without cracking since I dont feel like spending $200 on the small expansion tank that goes in the boiler.
  • kcopp
    I have no idea what the pop is. One last ditch fix on the old expansion tank is to drain out the boiler, keep they drain open and try to renew the charge in the thin expansion tank. Pump it up to 12 psi.
  • may7day
    I think its filled with water
  • Rverone
    Rverone Member Posts: 8
    Dear Kcopp,

Thank You for your constant help.
    I did what you said and the system is going from domestic to operating mode.
    Would the system give off a very slight smell if I'm right in front of it.

Thank You,

Rob