Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wi-Fi Air quality sensor in the Boiler Room

guzzinerd
guzzinerd Member Posts: 232
edited January 2023 in Strictly Steam
As per the title, i installed a cheap $42 sensor between the boiler and 100 gallon gas water heater that sends a feed to an app on my phone.  Curious if you guys feel this is enough to make sure things are running ok or should I get something else?   The CO2 level goes up to 640 when it's been on a while.

P.s. i bought this before discovering this forum or would have asked beforehand.

Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    Why would you want to know how much Carbon Dioxide is in the boiler room?
  • guzzinerd
    Just general info.. shouldn't every boiler room have a CO2 reader?
    Bryant 245-8 2-pipe steam in a 1930s 6-unit 1-story apt building in the NM mountains.  26 radiators heating up 3800sqf.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    edited January 2023
    guzzinerd said:

Just general info.. shouldn't every boiler room have a CO2 reader?

Are you thinking carbon monoxide? Carbon dioxide feeds plants.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I think you are confusing carbon dioxide -- in normal quantities, quite harmless if not useful -- and carbon monoxide, which is not the same thing at all, and is, even in small quantities, harmful and can be quite easily lethal.

Your widget neither measures nor reports carbon monoxide -- and therefore is of little practical use.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • guzzinerd
    edited January 2023
    I think you are confusing carbon dioxide -- in normal quantities, quite harmless if not useful -- and carbon monoxide, which is not the same thing at all, and is, even in small quantities, harmful and can be quite easily lethal. Your widget neither measures nor reports carbon monoxide -- and therefore is of little practical use.

========

As dumb as i feel I'm glad i asked you guys. I did confuse CO with CO2. I'll return it and get a carbon monoxide reader.