Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outdoor radiant heat for patio seats

Options
Hi,
I'm kicking around the idea of putting in a fire pit in my back yard. And with any fire pit you're front gets super hot but the rest of you is cold. So I am thinking of some how warming the concrete seats via the fire or potentially another fire that could push warm air / water through the seats to warm them.

I'm pondering a potential mass heater rocket stove to heat the seats, but also potentially a radiant system.

Has anyone seen anything like this or thought of this before? Any ideas are much appreciated!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,226
    Options
    I remember a sand pit around the fire ring that had radiant tube it it to warm your feet.

I built a radiant concrete counter top at my last home. Fairly easy to put pex tube in concrete of any type. Below the top was a heater towel shelf.

Then you need a source of how water or glycol mix to circulate
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Trimakas
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,987
    edited December 2022
    Options
    My car has a heated seat. I think that is just a bunch of hot air. NFL uses heated seats too. still just a bunch of hot air.

I wonder if you could just install some 4" PVC pipes as the main trunk and have hot air blown thru them with 1-1/4" tee pointing at the back of the lawn chairs? You could get the heated air from a heat exchanger in the fire pit.

You thinking of making a chair out of pipe fittings with hose connections on the legs to run hot water thru?
    You could get the heated water from a heat exchanger in the fire pit.

I know an irishman who may be able to help. Look up Patty O'Furniture from County Quirk

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Trimakas
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 984
    Options
    Do like the Romans did. build a fire pit under the slab. raise the slab and have a fire underneath the concrete. you can use firewood. they ruled for 5000 years so it must have worked lol.
    EdTheHeaterManTrimakas