Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Outdoor radiant heat for patio seats

Options
Hi,
I'm kicking around the idea of putting in a fire pit in my back yard. And with any fire pit you're front gets super hot but the rest of you is cold. So I am thinking of some how warming the concrete seats via the fire or potentially another fire that could push warm air / water through the seats to warm them.

I'm pondering a potential mass heater rocket stove to heat the seats, but also potentially a radiant system.

Has anyone seen anything like this or thought of this before? Any ideas are much appreciated!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    I remember a sand pit around the fire ring that had radiant tube it it to warm your feet.

I built a radiant concrete counter top at my last home. Fairly easy to put pex tube in concrete of any type. Below the top was a heater towel shelf.

Then you need a source of how water or glycol mix to circulate
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Trimakas
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited December 2022
    Options
    My car has a heated seat. I think that is just a bunch of hot air. NFL uses heated seats too. still just a bunch of hot air.

I wonder if you could just install some 4" PVC pipes as the main trunk and have hot air blown thru them with 1-1/4" tee pointing at the back of the lawn chairs? You could get the heated air from a heat exchanger in the fire pit.

You thinking of making a chair out of pipe fittings with hose connections on the legs to run hot water thru?
    You could get the heated water from a heat exchanger in the fire pit.

I know an irishman who may be able to help. Look up Patty O'Furniture from County Quirk
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Trimakas
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Do like the Romans did. build a fire pit under the slab. raise the slab and have a fire underneath the concrete. you can use firewood. they ruled for 5000 years so it must have worked lol.
    EdTheHeaterManTrimakas