Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing fan in a can

Enormo
Enormo Member Posts: 4
edited November 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi everybody, I have a steam boiler that wouldn’t come on so I had a tech come out and take a look. It turns out that the fan in a can died so without air it wont let the boiler kick on. The company quoted me a big number to replace it so I’m trying to get a sense whether this is something a non-electrician like myself could/should tackle myself if I take a lot of pictures and swap everything out exactly as currently wired? 

Comments

• captainco
    captainco Member Posts: 792
    There should be an indoor relief damper on the intake pipe so you don't draw in too much air. What size is your boiler?
  • Enormo
    The issue is it’s not drawing in any air at the moment. Boiler is 216k. Model KIN11LNC-LL2
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    its real simple. should be a low voltage 3 conductor connected to a 3 wire terminal strip. like for like. then just reconnect the power wiring.

you need to make sure your getting 24 volts at t1 with t2 common. t3 will send 24 volts back to the boiler when the pressure switch is proven.
    Enormo
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Please remove the pricing from your post, we don't talk about money like that. It's one of the few rules we have, & it's an important one.
  • Enormo
    ratio said:
    Please remove the pricing from your post
    Thanks for letting me know. I’ll find a different resource to make sure it’s competitive. 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I see you have at least 2 NG water heater tanks there.
    Do they have enough combustion air?

Often they are interlocked with the Fan in a Can pressure switch.

Maybe the company assumed they were relying upon the Fan/Can.
  • Enormo
    good eye - those are 2 hot water heaters, but I have only seen the fan turn on for the boiler while it was working.