Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking plastic thingy!

Jaimesw
Jaimesw Member Posts: 1
Any idea what that plastic nut is on the bottom of the boiler. Mine is dripping when I turn the heating on. I loosened it to try and put ptfe tape around but water poured out. I have tightened it as much as I dare without cracking it!! 
But my plumber can’t get to me before Christmas he’s that busy. 

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    That’s the condensate trap. It seals with an O ring. Taping it will serve no purpose.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    How badly is it dripping ? You dont want the trap to empty , creating a risk of exhaust fumes pouring out of your drain hose end. The liquid (condensate) in the trap blocks that.
    When the boiler is running, you should feel no airflow at all out of the end of your drain hose.

Ensure you have a functioning CO detector in the room. If you have a CO detector thats more than 5 or 10 years old, replace it (they dont last forever).
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

How badly is it dripping ? You dont want the trap to empty , creating a risk of exhaust fumes pouring out of your drain hose end. The liquid (condensate) in the trap blocks that.
    When the boiler is running, you should feel no airflow at all out of the end of your drain hose.

Ensure you have a functioning CO detector in the room. If you have a CO detector thats more than 5 or 10 years old, replace it (they dont last forever).

Get a Low-Level CO Detector such as the Defender or CO Experts PG 2017-5. Actually 2, One near the furnace on in the bedroom
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    You probably need a new o ring