Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is there a way to get this valve working?

baj702
baj702 Member Posts: 44
edited November 2022 in Strictly Steam
This is a huge valve, I think it is ~5" pipe. It hasn't worked for a least 20 years. I tried turning is with a 3 foot pipe wrench but I was afraid to put too much pressure on it - for fear I would be in worse shape that if it just didn't work. Maybe something like a rebuild kit? Also, is it opened or closed?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    edited November 2022
    What’s it holding back?
  • baj702
    edited November 2022
    This is a valve just after the header, shuts off steam to the main, I think they'e called king valves?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    You’re going to have to dismantle it. 
    Pull the packing
    pull the top bell
    take it apart and
    clean
    clean
    clean
    mattmia2
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    If it is holding back toxic radio active cooling water from the nuclear power plant, what's the worst that could happen? Get a bigger wrench, with a bigger cheater on the handle.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    There is a good chance the packing may be asbestos so you probably want to take that part apart where you can keep it wet and contain it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    That is an eye-wateringly expensive valve. Further, even if you can repair it -- which I wouldn't guarantee -- you won't be able to do it quickly. So... if you can't wait until the whole system is down. I'd prepare a flanged spool piece to fit and take the thing out and the spool piece in and take it to a workshop to work on at my leisure.

Do you even really need a king valve?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterManLong Beach Ed
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    That old valve with threaded ends would be a tough replacement. You would have to cut it out and have flanges welded in.

Looks like a gate valve. I would take the 6 or so bolts out and pull the whole assembly out of the valve body so you can work on the innards on the bench,

We used to do that when installing a heavy valve with tight access. Install the body and then put the gut's in saves lifting all the weight at once.

you can easily make a new gasket which you will need,

If you put a big wrench on the stem you will break it.

It's probably rusted up on the inside from condensate laying in the valve in a vertical position
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Once you get the guts pulled out you could install a temporary plate where the valve body bolts on if you need to keep the system running
  • baj702
    @Jamie Hall Well, they're nice when you need to build up some pressure to clean out the boilers. I was thinking about trying to get it working this summer - I'm in no rush.
    Long Beach Ed
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    edited November 2022
    That valve looks like a 3" or possibly an old 3.5" non-rising stem Walworth gate valve. I can't tell from that picture. The size is usually indicated on the side of the valve body. If I were doing the repair, I would do it in the spring or when that part of the system is shut down. I have replaced Flanged valves up to 12" but that screw valve would be a nightmare to replace unless you have the expertise and the necessary equipment. I recommend that you do a "search" for a valve repair shop and have them do the job. Most valve shops can do a fair rebuild "in place", or if you do not need or use that valve to isolate that line, let it alone.