Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bucket for draining steam boiler water

zoulas
zoulas Member Posts: 29
Any recommendations,  I just purchased a high quality galvanized bucket from Home Depot and on the third use it leaked at the seams. 
Lyle {pheloa} Carter

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Garden hose?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    plastic. a dishpan can be handy where you don't have enough height for a bucket.
  • zoulas
    So you are suggesting a plastic bucket? It need to hold approximately 2 gallons. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Yes plastic

why are you removing water and refilling with new?

• zoulas
    To remove the rusty water. Isn't this standard practice? It's a steam boiler. Aren't you supposed to remove some water on a weekly basis? I have been doing this for the past 30 years. 
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    Yes, you are -- from the low water cutoff if you have a float type. I use an ordinary 5 gallon plastic wash bucket until it gives up, then get another one...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    A float type low water cutout needs to be blown down regularly.
  • 1890ish
    1890ish Member Posts: 12
    zoulas said:

Any recommendations,  I just purchased a high quality galvanized bucket from Home Depot and on the third use it leaked at the seams. 

Maybe they sold you a small garbage can instead of a bucket. If it was sold as a bucket I'd return it. Any bucket or pail should work as long as it doesn't melt.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Just to reiterate what’s been said.  The only thing you drain on a weekly basis is if you have a float type now water cut off.  If you have a probe type you shouldn’t drain anything on a weekly basis.

Picture of float type attached for reference.

2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    And if you are draining a float type LWCO you should be doing it with the burner firing so you can confirm that it shuts off and restarts correctly.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    WMno57
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    zoulas said:
    LoL.. I read your review...I don't know if the mfg. will respond but I agree with others as far as returning it to HD as it obviously isn't water tight 
    I use one of those thick Rubbermaid square pails or a empty 5 gallon joint compound or paint container.. they're thicker I think than than the $3.99 cleaning pails and when you you're carrying it full of hot water from the boiler it doesn't feel like it's getting squishy from the plastic softening..
    Just my opinion 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • mattmia2
    reggi said:

LoL.. I read your review...I don't know if the mfg. will respond but I agree with others as far as returning it to HD as it obviously isn't water tight 
    I use one of those thick Rubbermaid square pails or a empty 5 gallon joint compound or paint container.. they're thicker I think than than the $3.99 cleaning pails and when you you're carrying it full of hot water from the boiler it doesn't feel like it's getting squishy from the plastic softening..
    Just my opinion 

I don't see any negative reviews.
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    @mattmia2  Look again at the 3 star reviewers post via the link above to the pail at HD...I agree with the others HERE to return it..I wouldn't wait to hear from the Mfg .... 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    $2 empty pickle bucket from Firehouse subs. And the $2 goes the volunteer fire dept fund. 

Probably doesn’t matter for your purpose but the lids that come with it are the best fit. 
    GGross
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    You bought a Chinese bucket? And it leaked? Bwahahahaa!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,717
    Buckets made of Chineseum never last more than a few weeks for steam boiler flushing
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Long Beach Ed
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Oddly enough I bought an American made galvanized oil can with flexible metal spout and it leaked all over since day one and after a few months the spout split in half.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment