Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are washers still available for this valve ?

SteamHeat
SteamHeat Member Posts: 159
Please excuse me if this is a silly question, but are replacement washers for this valve still available, or do I need to ask my pro to replace the entire valve ?

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Have you tried tightening the packing nut a little?
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    Depends on the size of the washer. Most plumbers carry washer kits but they only go up to a certain size. The place that i would get oversized washers from closed. My guess is you can find the washer but you have to do some searching.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Hmm... Looks like a gate valve positioned the right way . A gate valve uses a brass tapered gate attached to the shaft of the shaft with a worm gear . Don't over tighten
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    That valve may be a gate valve as @Big Ed 4 said and if it is it may still be in near perfect shape. If the only problem is a leak at the stem, try tightening the packing nut just a little. If that doesn't stop the leak you can add a little packing or repack the valve and it will be better than the new crap you buy today.
    MikeAmann
  • Big Ed_4
    May be best to remove handle and packing nut . clean out and repack with teflon tape unless you have granite packing . Don't over tighten and break nut ...
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    Finding a washer to fit that should not be difficult if you have a nearby plumbing supply place in an area with old homes.

Bburd
  • SteamHeat
    Thanks everyone. The valve is used as a cutoff to an outdoor garden hose bib.
    The leak at the stem seems to seal a while after the valve is opened or closed so I am not worried right now about the ooze at the stem. Maybe later I will have to eat my words.

What I am worried about is that the valve must be tightened more than I am comfortable with to completely stop the flow of water to the outdoor valve in the winter. I got it closed enough to avoid a rupture in the hose bib in the winter, but I worry what will happen the next time the cutoff is opened. I would like to have my pro change the washer before a disaster, but I was wondering if they were even still available since it is so old.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    That is a very old valve. I am less concerned about your finding a washer to fit it than about the washer screw shearing off from corrosion when you try to remove it. Even that can be fixed by a good plumbing shop.

Bburd
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Fun project is to try to punch put your own washer.
  • Big Ed_4
    There is not a washer in that valve .. Replace the valve
  • pecmsg
    Big Ed_4 said:
    There is not a washer in that valve .. Replace the valve
    True but there is packing!
  • Big Ed_4
    edited November 2022
    Packing yes , the valve can be dismantled to be cleaned and greased . Running it open and closed a few times sometimes helps ...

Repeat; Do not over tighten that valve ... Ask me how I know that :)
    CLamb
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    Do you know what material the piping is made of ? It looks like some #'s stamped on a piece or so.. assuming it was cut and threaded on site.. but the material looks bronze ?
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    It is either brass or galvanized. I have seen galvanized turn that color, maybe from someone smoking in the basement.
  • pecmsg
    With those green spots I’ll guess brass
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    Does it function with relative ease , seal when closed and isn't leaking water on the surface below the valve? If so I'd leave it alone and check it the few times a year you turn it.. 
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • SteamHeat
    Thanks, guys.

Since it seems to be unclear whether there is even a washer within to replace, I guess the safe thing to do is to just ask my pro to cut out this old valve (to avoid worries about leaking from the stem) and replace with a full-port ball valve. So far I have not had a ball valve leak in my place, though there is always a potential for an unpleasant first experience. :)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    I've had plenty of ball valves leak at the stem. Usually they have a packing nut under the handle which sometimes isn't tightened at the factory.
  • pecmsg
    High quality valves don't leak or have adjustable packing, most of the Chinese crap 50/50 shot!
  • Big Ed_4
    A ball is the valve of choice today . A gate was the valve of choice before ..