Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slight gas smell from boiler at ignition and shutdown

Options
senlur
senlur Member Posts: 1
edited November 2022 in Gas Heating
We just bought this house and I noticed that if you have your head down by the igniter/jets of the boiler you can briefly smell gas when it kicks on and for a few minutes after it has shut down, but never while it's burning.  It's an older dunkirk model boiler.

Within maybe 5-10 minutes of being shutdown the smell goes away completely and doesn't come back until the next ignition, goes way while burning and briefly comes again after shutdown.

I have a handheld gas leak detector and it's enough to make it go off if held down there during ignition, and for a few brief seconds after shutdown.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as i've never owned a gas boiler before and it's kind of freaking me out!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    And so it should -- freak you out, that is. It would be a very good idea to have a tech. knowledgeable in gas burners check it, as it really shouldn't do that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    On a lot of older systems as they age you will get a slight odor when they come on and shut off if you get right down near the burners. If you are concerned and want it checked then call in a smell of gas to the local gas company and have them check it. I have over 50 years in the gas industry so you can trust my answer.