Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Temporary boiler 400 to 800HP

Pranjilovic
Pranjilovic Member Posts: 11
edited October 2022 in Strictly Steam
Hi I working on temp. installation of huge commercial boilers for industrial and commercials buildings, so have some questions if is any expert here for those huge boilers?

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    I used to work on small residential boilers and furnaces, and I have answers, if there are any folks that have questions about them.

I don't want to be any more specific that that at this time.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    WMno57SeanBeans
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    There is a member here who worked on a boiler that used 120 gallons of fuel per hour. @Pranjilovic we like pictures, and details.
    I DIY.
  • Pranjilovic

WMno57SeanBeans
  • Pranjilovic
    This is 600HP boiler using around 170 GPH of D2 oil when is on high fire witch is very rare situation usually run 70% until make full pressure and then run at 10-20%
  • Pranjilovic
    So question is about piping, we use only 3 pipe, one big one for steam supply 10” in this picture, one 2” for PCR (pumped condensate return) and one cooper or black 1-1/4” to 2” for CW city or cold water witch is used only once for quick fill boiler on startup, and sometimes if there is no PCR or pump stops.
    So I was thinking to share only one pipe between PCR and CW, with check valves on beginning to prevent mixing and on CW install like in pic solenoid valve setup witch is controlled with boiler feed tank low water switch in case that is needed cold water it will trigger solenoid valve. So what you guys think about it. This boiler usually stays 2-4 years rented out in one place and then moved out.
  • Pranjilovic

And this is 3 new boilers 250HP each that we installed on this job
    WMno57
  • WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    @Erin Holohan Haskell or @DanHolohan could you move this to the Strictly Steam category? I know there are some retired big boiler men on here. I'm guessing they may not have seen this in the radiant category.
    Bump for some great pictures of big boilers.
    I DIY.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    edited October 2022
    I always hated introducing cold make-up water into a hot boiler and did so only in an emergency situation. That said, more information is needed such as what is the operating steam pressure. Do you have a condensate feed tank, which you should, and that make-up tank condensate should be heated. Also, what are the local or state pressure vessel codes that are in force in that area?

I do in not know where the boiler's shown in the picture are located but in my area steam discharge into the boiler room is usually not allowed as the picture shows, and must be discharged outside. Nice installation though.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    WMno57 said:

@Erin Holohan Haskell or @DanHolohan could you move this to the Strictly Steam category? I know there are some retired big boiler men on here. I'm guessing they may not have seen this in the radiant category.
    Bump for some great pictures of big boilers.

You got it. Done!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
    WMno57
  • Pranjilovic
    This is New York City location, temp. Boiler working pressure is 5psi and new one also is LPS 5psi, on 7psi is shooting off first cut off on 10psi second and on 15psi safety valve pop up. That discharge next to boiler is typical for low pressure boilers up to 15psi and everything over 15psi must go up to the roof it consider medium and high pressure steam,.
    All temp boiler have boiler feed tank with sparge tube witch is usually off if there is good amount of condensate return at lease 150F degree. In very rare case boiler call cold water, and then need to be fixed quickly to prevent thermal shock.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would put the city water make up into the boiler feed tank where it belongs. That way make up water will mix with the hot condensate.

If NYC or the engineer require a city water, make up to the boiler in addition to the above (and they might) I would just feed the make-up water into the boiler or into the pumped condensate discharge pipe if it is a manual feed make up line.

If it has to be automatic feed, I would run a separate pipe to the boiler
  • Pranjilovic
    Ok I will need to start from beginning. Year is 2023 almost nothing is manual all is automatic or artificial intelligence so it is same with boiler. Guy get notification at home on smart phone for all sensors on boiler and around. City water is only for quick fill and make up if needed, everything else is condensate return, NYC engineer care only to supply building with 5psi steam, they don’t know nothing else, temp boiler is private property on lease for few years, they care only for oil supply and steam, specially oil lines must be seamless pipe 1” made in USA. Boiler is passed all inspection from DOB.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Well, then I guess your good to connect the city water make up any way you want if you have the inspectors approval
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570

So question is about piping, we use only 3 pipe, one big one for steam supply 10” in this picture, one 2” for PCR (pumped condensate return) and one cooper or black 1-1/4” to 2” for CW city or cold water witch is used only once for quick fill boiler on startup, and sometimes if there is no PCR or pump stops.
    So I was thinking to share only one pipe between PCR and CW, with check valves on beginning to prevent mixing and on CW install like in pic solenoid valve setup witch is controlled with boiler feed tank low water switch in case that is needed cold water it will trigger solenoid valve. So what you guys think about it. This boiler usually stays 2-4 years rented out in one place and then moved out.

I think you need a certified back flow preventer on the city water line.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Your done with DOB what about FDNY?
  • Pranjilovic
    RPZ valve is used always for boilers, FDNY is nothing to do with boilers. When DOB give you green light you are ok to fire up burner, they only looking how you connect gas or oil fuel to boiler and test lines for leak. Also DOB give permit to operate temp boiler when they inspect it all by code.