Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: How Steam Traps Can Bite You

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited October 2022 in THE MAIN WALL

How Steam Traps Can Bite You

In this episode, Dan Holohan shares all of the neat devices and techniques that the Dead Men came up with for steam-heating systems and how this knowledge can make you a better troubleshooter.

Listen and subscribe here.

Thank you to our podcast sponsor SupplyHouse.com.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    All of which is why I like the Hoffman Differential Loop. No moving parts. Short of taking a hammer to it, I can't think of a way to make it fail. And it does the job.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • PRR
    PRR Member Posts: 108
    edited October 2022
    Typo?
    "..the best thing you can do is leave it along – "

alone?

• jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226

All of which is why I like the Hoffman Differential Loop. No moving parts. Short of taking a hammer to it, I can't think of a way to make it fail. And it does the job.

If you're going to keep building in your family for decades it pays to think hard about design with minimum of moving parts. And it may even be less expensive. Pumps are most obvious example.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    PRR said:

Typo?
    "..the best thing you can do is leave it along – "

alone?

Fixed that typo. Good eye. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • jeant
    jeant Member Posts: 26
    Fun to work through the steam system through your eyes. How simple one pipe worked using the thermal dynamics of the system to simply make it do the work, and how it go more complicated with more and piping and devices being added. Like you said look at the whole thing. That is where experience comes in.