Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spark test

Isacc
Isacc Member Posts: 5
What is a safe and reliable way to test different kind of spark ignitors?  Specially the ones used on Gordon Piatt burners where only the rod comes out. 

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,377
    National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
    Isacc
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    Start with the single tap ignition transformer, do you get at least a 1/2" spark jumping to your grounded well insulated screwdriver? If so, and still not seeing a spark through the burner window or boiler rear sight glass, I suggest pulling the pilot assembly. Examine the porcelain real well for cracks and check to see if the steel rod (electrode) is loose or moves. Make sure the electrode gap is correct and make sure distance from the gas pilot jets and/or ground is correct.
    Isacc
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    In addition to what @ScottSecor said check the 120 volt supply to the transformer. If the 120 is low the output will be low
    Isacc
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    So, you are all saying the hold on to the wire test is not Best Practice?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    The procedure that 109A_5 recommended is taken from one of my manuals I created and still sell it should help you find the problem.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    This looks like a G & P commercial burner, not residential. Probably has a 6000-8000 volt single pole ignition transformer
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If power burner, could the air flow be too high that it is lifting the pilot gas and spark away?