Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fixed a leaky pipe in my basement and now the cast iron heater above doesn't get hot??

Options
marthur
marthur Member Posts: 1
I had a pipe joint leaking at a diverter T to a cast iron heater. I broke the pipe apart and then put it back together tighter and stopped the leak. However, it also seems to have stopped the flow of hot water to the heater.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Monoflo diverter T? The heater is probably air bound -- you had to get some air in there at some point -- and getting rid of the air on a monoflow system is really hard.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    pecmsgHomerJSmith
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,844
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Look at the "cast iron heater" to see if there is an air vent of any type. Very often there is a manual open vent that you need a key to open
    You may also have one of these automatic air vents that is not working automatically, so you need to open it manually.

On occasion, I find this type air vent on those radiators that are inside an enclosure. When they start to leak, you can close the cap at the top.
    If you have one of these just open the cap and the air will come out. if water comes out, then close the cap. If no water comes out but the air just stops, then the automatic float valve is working, and you can leave it open for a few days until all the air is vented. I would suggest closing the vent cap after a day or two of operation.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics