Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar fire tube model choice w/ current system pics

gyrfalcon
gyrfalcon Member Posts: 161
edited October 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Does anyone have any input on the knight vs Nobel models?  Is the floor mount version more desirable in any way?  
Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Floor vs wall mount usually depends on where you are trying to put it. If you can tuck it away on a wall then you want wall mount, if you are putting it in the middle of a room then floor mount is probably what you want. Just flexibility in how you plan the installation.

Others would know more about knight vs nobel but I think it is a different hx series and more or less things that are configurable, one has a controller that will do more.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    The Knight has a lot more useful control features. Wall hung usually have top, bottom, or both connections, floor mount are usually side port. So look over the piping differences if space is at a premium 

I have put floor mount boilers up on strut racks, ands shelves before the wall mounts became available
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gyrfalcon
    It looks like the knight has higher water capacity too. 
    Slant Fin Galaxy GG100(1986) , 2 zone hot water baseboard, T87 Honeywell thermostats. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I believe the Knight has a much larger HX. I’m not up to speed on all the differences, their online literature shows features and cutaway views to compare HX size and connection location  
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • gyrfalcon
    Here is what I’m looking at every day I open the boiler room door.  I’m hoping to get the plumbing and orientation cleaned up when the boiler is replaced.  As mentioned in the previous posts from last season, the current boiler is a slant fin galaxy 100k btu  from early 80s.  Domestic water is a Richmond 50 gallon, 40k btu 2-3 yrs old. 
  • gyrfalcon
    Everything works fine , btw.  It’s just kind of a mess.  
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    That boiler has a bad case of dandruff. What water temps are you running?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • gyrfalcon
    Aquastat is set to 180
  • gyrfalcon
    This picture is from top down.  
  • gyrfalcon
    I still want to have a pro clean it and do combustion test to tide me over until replacement time 
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    That is quite a "melange" of piping materials. PVC, copper, black iron. No pex...yet? No Sharkbites?
    Electricals could use some tidying-up. If putting in a new boiler... how about revamping EVERYTHING?
    rconkling
  • gyrfalcon
    edited October 2022
    I didn’t show pics of pex and shark bite!   It’s in there.   I feel like I’m in a Mario bros. Nightmare!   Yea, revamp is definitely needed. 
  • gyrfalcon
    Does anyone have a clue where the white scaly stuff came from?  
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The "dandruff" coming down the vent is often a byproduct of flue gas condensation. What are your boiler temps? Is a portion of the flue pipe outside of the heating envelope?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • offdutytech
    offdutytech Member Posts: 133
    Take a look at Viesmann boilers as well. We have installed a few and have been impressed with them. I like the Knights as well. I know for my wholesale cost Viesmann is a better value in my area, but Lochinvar is popular. I would interview a few contractors and get some quotes. Make sure you get a load calc done to ensure a correctly sized boiler. 
  • gyrfalcon
    Zman- The flue pipe does pass through the ceiling and goes up above roof for maybe 5-6 feet.  As far as I know the aquastat is at 180. Boiler never runs for more than 5-6 minutes.  

offdutytech- from all of the contractors I’ve talked to, All have said Lochinvar for modcon option.  For CI  Weil CGA, Burnham 2 or Utica mgb-k  ( all matching current btu of my Slant Fin-100k btu input. .. likely way oversized. However the one company who is very responsive to my questions agrees to use the 60k cast Utica since his calculations show my home to be 50k or less, as do mine.  I actually hired this same company to install a 12k Mitsubishi mini split in my attached sunroom, so it now is a nice balance to my home instead of being an extreme .  So far this fall I have only used this mini split to warm my house on 30 deg nights, the sunroom doors are left open to my living room. House is 63-65 in coldest , farthest bedrooms . 

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    gyrfalcon said:

Boiler never runs for more than 5-6 minutes.

It never runs long enough to heat up the flue.
  • gyrfalcon
    Mattmia2. That makes sense. 
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Not the Noble, love the knight fire tubes and their Squire indirect. Great matc up.
  • gyrfalcon
    @tim smith .  Can you elaborate with more details.  Is the noble fire tube less desirable?