Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Basic steam question

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
Basic Steam question
1. From the risers I know there is a minimum 18 inches but is there a max? So go high as I can, like 24 or 30 inches?
2. With 2 or more take off is there a minimum or maximum on how far apart from each other.?
To rephrase the question for an example after the riser then going towards the equalizer does it matter if it’s close nipples or 6 inches from each other? I’m

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    As long as you have the minimum (and I would think of that as 24 inches from the water line, not 18) there really isn't a limit, but shorter becomes better at some point over that, as where the riser joins the header is where entrained water gets a chance to separate from the steam.

If by two or more takeoffs you mean the connections to the steam mains in the house -- no, so far as I can figure out there really isn't a minimum distance between them, or from them to the equalizer -- just keep some pitch on the header.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    Thanks Jamie