Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Increasing pressure in boiler

jeyouese3
jeyouese3 Member Posts: 7
I just bought a house and I drained a low of water out of the boiler and bled my radiator ow the pressure is low and the temperature. How do i fix it to increase both. I need help with the valves amd what to move etcetera 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited October 2022
    Tough to say without seeing what you have. Can you post photos of the boiler including the piping around it. Step back far enough to see the boiler and piped from floor to ceiling. take pics from different angles.

There should be a valve, usually on a 1/2" cold water pipe, that will allow water into the boiler to fill it.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    What type of expansion tank. Might check the pre charge will pressure is off.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • jeyouese3

• jeyouese3

• jeyouese3
    Everything i turned off i want to start from scratch so i need help
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Need to get farther back so we can get an idea as to what piping goes where, and what valves control it.

If you drained enough water to allow significant air into the system, you will probably have to purge it before it will work successfully -- just refilling it may not do it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jeyouese3

• jeyouese3

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited October 2022
    This appears to be your fill valve. Open it and watch the pressure increase in on the gauge. When the gauge gets to about 15 PSI (about 35 Foot Head), then close it. Then you must go upstairs and vent air from the radiators. When water comes out, that radiator is full. If the air stops venting, close the vent and go back to the basement and put more water in the boiler to get the pressure back up to 15 PSI. Continue venting radiators where you left off until you get water to come out the vent. Then move to the next radiator. Continue this until all the radiators are filled with water.

It is easier with 2 people. One to watch the gauge and open and close the valve as needed to keep the water pressure between 12 and 15 PSI. The other person to go around and vent all the radiators. A bang on the radiator can signal that you need more pressure. Two bangs mean you are finished venting that radiator. Three bangs mean you have vented all the radiators and you can stop adding water to the boiler.

My mother taught me that at age 7 as she vented all the radiators in our home on 4th street. I felt so important!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    pecmsg
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    This appears to be your fill valve. Open it and watch the pressure increase in on the gauge. When the gauge gets to about 15 PSI (about 35 Foot Head), then close it. Then you must go upstairs and vent air from the radiators. When water comes out, that radiator is full. If the air stops venting, close the vent and go back to the basement and put more water in the boiler to get the pressure back up to 15 PSI. Continue venting radiators where you left off until you get water to come out the vent. Then move to the next radiator. Continue this until all the radiators are filled with water. It is easier with 2 people. One to watch the gauge and open and close the valve as needed to keep the water pressure between 12 and 15 PSI. The other person to go around and vent all the radiators. A bang on the radiator can signal that you need more pressure. Two bangs mean you are finished venting that radiator. Three bangs mean you have vented all the radiators and you can stop adding water to the boiler. My mother taught me that at age 7 as she vented all the radiators in our home on 4th street. I felt so important!
    Now explain the x tank in the ceiling. 
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,691
    the round red handled valve on the silver painted 1/2 copper line is your boiler fill,

before that, check the tank is emptied also, the tank at the ceiling should have a hose bib or more to open,
    post a picture of the tank and connected fittings and pipe,
    you're trying to get air into the tank to let any water in there, out,

the red valve,
    do not just open and walk away, you need to nurse water back into your system as i see no reducing fill valve,
    you're looking to fill the boiler to 12 - 15 psi on that gage, for a 2 floor house,
    how many floors to top radiator?

what do you have for radiators and venting upstairs?
    how will you vent air up high?
    post picture of rad and its vent
    known to beat dead horses
  • jeyouese3
    So drained a lot of water should i just keep adding water until it gets to the right psi? 

Or should i try and purge it first because i open for water a stays on zero
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,691
    jeyouese3 said:

So drained a lot of water should i just keep adding water until it gets to the right psi? 

Or should i try and purge it first because i open for water a stays on zero
    I don't think we see a way to purge at the boiler,
    that's why i asked about venting at rads,

and yes, red handle open till the boiler shows 15psi,
    close red valve, then rad vent as Ed says,

" i open for water a stays on zero"
    sounds like the tank did empty,
    it will take some time and water to refill and reestablish that air cushion in the tank,
    a minute or 2 before the boiler will start to show pressure,
    known to beat dead horses