Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator for Interior Bathroom

Options
Greetings All:

I am doing a remodel project and we are relocating, what used to be a full bath w/ shower, to a simple hall bath. The existing bath had a small 2500 BTU radiator. I assume this was more for the fact the old bath had a shower.

My questions is: Now that we have only a small hall bath 3.5ft by 7.5ft, and the new bath is in the interior of the house, do I really need a radiator. Note we have not had an issue of the house feeling cold or drafty in the past.

Thanks

Comments

• bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    Options
    The main drawback to leaving that radiator out would be if you set the temperature back when you are asleep or away from home. Without a radiator that room will take longer to warm up when the house is reheated to occupied temperature. Also, is there a heat load from a cold basement, crawlspace or slab below?

Bburd
    Sonor3000
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Unless it's a real hassle to keep it, keep the small radiator. No, you won't need it really to heat the room (unless there is a cold attic or basement) -- but it's energy demand is very small in relation to the sheer pleasure of finding that the bathroom is nice and warm...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Sonor3000EdTheHeaterMan
  • Sonor3000
    Sonor3000 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    bburd, thanks for the feedback. The room is above a full basement which sits in the 60's during the winter months as it is well below grade. I say sixty, all I know is I can wear a T-shirt in the winter and feel comfortable :-).
  • Sonor3000
    Options
    Jamie: Thanks for the feedback. The only concern is the space since the bathroom is only 3.5 feet wide. And an "in swing" door makes the space tight.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Sonor3000 said:

bburd, thanks for the feedback. The room is above a full basement which sits in the 60's during the winter months as it is well below grade. I say sixty, all I know is I can wear a T-shirt in the winter and feel comfortable :-).

Just be careful with those 60s style tee shirts, they may lead to more dangerous substance abuse.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Sonor3000PC7060
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    How about a heated towel rack?

You could even hang your T-shirts on it.

Ed, it that you in the center of the middle picture.....Woodstocker?
    PC7060
  • Sonor3000
    Options
    Just confirming no other comments... Thanks.... I may look at a smaller radiator (Burnham Radiant Radiators). Any experience with these smaller radiators?
  • bburd
    edited September 2022
    Options
    The smaller ones are fine, what matters is the EDR which measures heat output. You don’t need much for an interior room like that, if you match what was there you should be fine. You might also recess the radiator partially into the wall cavity.

Bburd
    Sonor3000
  • Sonor3000
    Options
    bburd said:

The smaller ones are fine, what matters is the EDR which measures heat output. You don’t need much for an interior room like that, if you match what was there you should be fine. You might also recess the radiator partially into the wall cavity.

Yep, I'm going off their table of information for 240 BTU/SQFT. Does that sound high for 180F Water Temp? I've seen other tables at 170 BTU/SQFT.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,137
    Options
    Even with radiant heat in the floor I added an electric towel radiator to my one bathroom. Ended up being a great addition we used it year around. Digital setback controls are also a nice feature.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Sonor3000
  • bburd
    Options
    Sonor3000 said:
    Yep, I'm going off their table of information for 240 BTU/SQFT. Does that sound high for 180F Water Temp? I've seen other tables at 170 BTU/SQFT.
    240 BTU/SQFT is for steam at 215° F. 170 is closer for 180° hot water. The existing radiator should have been sized for your system design temperature, so just match that.

Bburd
    Sonor3000